Michigan-Detroit
Options

Venue Opinions?

Our wedding isn't for awhile yet, but we want to decide on a venue relatively soon because we are planning a New Years Eve wedding and they tend to book up quickly. We've narrowed it down to two places, but I am having trouble deciding between the two. Also just a little FYI, I know that everyone's priorities for the wedding are different, but having a unique venue has always been at the top of our list.

The first one is the University of Michigan Museum of Art, which is gorgeous and very elegant. It is at the very top of our budget, so we would have to compromise on some other things. In general, they are pretty strict with their regulations, so we would not have as much freedom as we would like. Some things are not a huge deal, but my biggest concern is that our event would have to end by 12:30 am, which would be fine if it were not NYE. I would worry that people would not have enough time to sober up and then drive home. There are free cabs in the area that night, but I don't know how far they would go and most of the guests live at least a half hour away.

The other one is the Museum of Contemporary Art in Detroit. This place is more urban, so it would definitely be more casual compared with the other place, but we could more or less do whatever we want as long as we want. We would pay for how long we want to use the space instead of a flat fee, so we would save money (about 2K, considering that MoCAD includes some tables and chairs). Also, this museum is smaller so our guests would not be wondering off all night. I know that it could be a really fun party, I just worry that this place will not feel as much like a wedding. 

My parents (who are contributing a good chunk to this wedding) like the feel of UMMA more and don't find ending at 12:30 am would be a problem, though they want us to be happy and choose what we want. FI likes both but prefers MoCAD (both the vibe and the flexibility). They are so different that I am having a hard time comparing the two!

Any opinions are welcome, especially concerning the end time and flexibility. I know it is ultimately up to us to decide, but I just want to know ahead of time if I am making a big deal out of nothing or missing something important! Thanks for the input!

Re: Venue Opinions?

• Options
    Hmm I have not been to either but maybe you'd like to consider the Michigan Union on U of M's campus. It is also "gorgeous" and "elegant". I'm not sure where it falls budget-wise compared to the UMMA but it might be another place you want to take a look at.

Good luck!
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    I haven't been to either, but I'd say that even though MoCAD is more urban (and likely more "raw"), that doesn't mean your wedding has to be casual. If you have flexibility to dress it up however you want, you could use the money you're saving and do some lighting or other decor that makes things a bit more formal or "wedding-ey"

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    mpicklmpickl member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

I work at the University of Michigan and have been to UMMA a few times, both for events and for general museum tours. The space is absolutely gorgeous, and you won't have to worry about too many students on campus, since most of them will be away for the holidays (but there will still be "nightlife" right down the street, so be prepared for that). Another thing to think about with the U is they have a very short list of approved caterers, which can be a gift and a curse. University Catering does a great job, but can be pricey. FI and I were able to try Angel Food Catering at another event and we absolutely loved them -- if we were in need of catering, they are definitely who we would be booking with. One other thing I will mention is that we were not allowed to tour the museum with our beverages – we had to stay in the main room if we had a drink in hand. This might help to keep the majority of the party focused on the wedding – in contrast, as you alluded to, I have heard of weddings at the Henry Ford that they could wander the whole place, while drinking, and that it was a good time, but no one really paid attention to the wedding once they were set loose on the museum. Just some more stuff to think about! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would also add that parking is always a beast in Ann Arbor!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mpicklmpickl member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_venue-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:9f404d4f-caea-438f-a912-f922d4ef74dePost:1a9bf5de-b4b7-4dc9-95d0-455b6803ca4c">Re: Venue Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would also add that parking is always a beast in Ann Arbor!
    Posted by shiravduncan[/QUOTE]

<div>Truth! And there is next to no public parking near UMMA.</div>
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have also not been to either facility, but recommend you look at it from your guest's perspective, which I think you and your fiance are probably doing more so than parents. You are young, your friend/guests will be young, and maybe some of the family members. But there are those "oldsters" amongst the guests, ie parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles, and what are they going to think? Are they "urban-adverse"? We go downtown all the time, but there are those people who don't, and think it's un-safe.

I'm all about flexibility which is why we had a venue where we could bring in our own everything, except for the tables, chairs and dance floor. I also think having your wedding on NYE means people are substituting your wedding for their annual NYE plans, whatever they may be. Young people are going to want to party...........if you have to be out of the UMMA by 12:30, more than likely they will cut off alcohol service 30 minutes before. If they do, eeeeek!

I would also recommend you and your fiance do what Kevin & I did before our decision, if you have not already: picture yourself walking into each venue, which feels the most like "you"? Which one do you see yourselves having the best party of your lives, since that is what your wedding is?

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

The event coordinator at UMMA seemed to think the parking wouldn't be an issue because school would be out, but I will certainly look more into it if we choose that place. They offer valet, but that's another (quite large) expense. 

The biggest issue that I've run into talking with the caterers for UMMA was they they would have to be able to tear down in a half hour because everything has to be cleaned up by 1am. We've talked with a few caterers from the list and two are able to clean up quickly and are within budget (though again at the very top!).

A good portion of my family grew up in Detroit and frequents it fairly often, but we have have some comments about the location. I used to go to Midtown regularly (where MoCAD is located) when I lived in the Metro Detroit area, and I've never felt unsafe. But this is coming from someone who lives in an urban environment, so I can see how other people might feel differently.

It's funny because I never understood why wedding planning was so stressful. It seemed to simple, just pick what you want and what you can afford... If only it were really that easy!

--Sarah
  • Options
    Your so right Sarah, I had a hard time picking a venue too, and I never understood why everyone always said wedding planning was so hard, now I totally understand! I have been to UMMA and think it is absolutely beautiful, I havent been to the other venue so I really cant compare the two. It definitely would be a bummer to be out by 1230, but not the end of the world, usually at most weddings, I am seriously done by 12, I think it would depend largely, how many younger guests you have versus older guests. I would say that most older guests would probably be done after it hits midnight.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Less Hassel, Less Worries makes for a happier bride that day. I'd go with the Museum in Detroit. I love the idea of taking an "urban" venue and using decor to make it fancier. If you weren't having an NYE wedding I would say the end time would not be a problem. But I think with only 30 minutes after the ball drops you might feel a little rushed. Ann Arbor is gorgeous, but you'll be able to get some great pictures downtown. With regards to comments about the location; show people that Detroit can be a great/safe place to host an event, and maybe they'll return to visit some of the other great museums and restaurants. 

Best of Luck!
  • Options
    you can pipe and drape and use uplighting to create whatever feel you want at MoCAD. I say go with the location that lets you party later into the new year!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards