Michigan-Detroit
Options

Hotel Block Questions

Hi Guys! So I need to set up a hotel block, we have a slew of OOT guests coming. And I really have NO idea what I'm supposed to do with this!

How does the whole hotel block thing work?

How many rooms should I reserve?

What price range is normal per night? Here in Ann Arbor they run the gamut, and I don't know where I should start!

Thanks ladies, any help is hugely appreciated!

Re: Hotel Block Questions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    No idea, I got rooms in Auburn Hills and it was around $99 at one and $89 at the other.

Just call them and ask for the group sales department.  Tell them you are getting married and want to set up a block and want a discounted rate to offer them.  I blocked 15 rooms at 2 different hotels.  We only ended up booking 7 at one and none at the other.

Make sure you ask when the rooms are released (the rooms you block that are not reserved go back into their inventory)

Make sure you ask if you are responsible for paying for any rooms that are blocked but not reserved by your guests

As if anyone calls after the deadline date if they can still get the same discounted rate

Ask if they have a shuttle and if they do, do you need a certain amount of rooms booked for it
  • Options
    jodyk23jodyk23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also have a slew of OOT guests coming. I did blocks at 4 of the closests hotels. Each block is 10 or 15 rooms. Make sure you have them block them for both Friday and Saturday nights. My hotels are in Brighton and Howell and they are all $99 per night with free breakfast. The blocks normally get released 30 days before the wedding, so guests need to book ASAP. Also, if the block at a hotel fills up, they will generally block more rooms for you. Two of the hotels have complimentary shuttles and one will only provide it as complimentary if 10 rooms get booked, if not we have to pay $150.

Also, if you are doing OOT bags, make sure to ask if they will distribute them to guests.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_hotel-block-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:a01929b1-a4ae-44e7-a007-f331e4e10922Post:3428e8fc-f0fb-4310-aefd-6be0c6701ec9">Hotel Block Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]How many rooms should I reserve?
    Posted by futuremrsbrian[/QUOTE]

I had the same issue and one of the hotels said 15 is usually a good number/block to go by. I also looked at my guest list and kinda did an approx. on who/how many I thought would book rooms.

Not sure if you're interested in a shuttle as well, but 2 out of the 3 hotels I contacted said it would be complimentary if all 15 rooms were booked (and we could pay the difference say if only 12 or 13 were booked).
    June 19, 2010
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    SwanyGirly911SwanyGirly911 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We booked 1 hotel with a bunch of rooms.
    Our reception venue had a deal going with the hotel - $89.99 a night with a free shuttle all night long. The hotel has 2 double beds or 1 king bed along with breakfast included and pool, martini lounge, starbucks, and exercise room in it.

I booked rooms for Thursday Night (5), Friday Night (10), Saturday Night (25) and Sunday Night (10). I started out with only Friday and Saturday nights, then added Thursday and Sunday nights....Then had to call to add more.

When you call, I'd make sure you'd  be able to add on if you need.
    The best part of it all - if we book 25 rooms, we get our room for free and if we book 35 - we get upgraded to a suite!

Lastly - I was pondering getting a room for brunch and opening gifts. I thought it was going to cost a bunch, but the hotel reserved a private dining room in the restaurant where breakfast is served for us and our guests. We aren't going to open gifts anymore, but it will still be nice to have a room to ourselves in the morning to have breakfast before our guests depart!

The Hotel is The Marriott at Centerpointe in Pontiac.
    Reception Hall is Petruzzello's in Troy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards