Michigan-Detroit
Options

Wedding Cake

We want to get a small tiered cake from one bakery and sheet cakes from a friend or another bakery. The sheet cake prices were very expensive from the original bakery, but the original bakery's contract states that no other wedding cake can be served unless made by that bakery. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Re: Wedding Cake

• Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't heard of something like this before. But, I wouldn't know though since our cake is being made by our reception venue.

As far as the sheet cake goes, a few ladies have also recommended the sheet cakes from Costco. I've had them and think they are pretty good.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of the "buy all your cake from us" policy, but I'm not surprised. Many brides (like moi) are getting a small 2 tiered cake, and having the caterer cut a Costco sheet cake ($16 makes 48 squares) in the kitchen area.

Wedding cakes are very expensive, for a bunch of flour, eggs, sugar & fondant or buttercream. You are buying their "artistry".

I have no idea how the bakery would ever know that you had sheetcakes to cut "in the back room" so to speak, unless you told them. If they deliver a small cake, and the room is set for 300 people, they might get an idea, LOL.

I'd look for a different bakery if you are worried that they'll kidnap your cake if they find out you got a cheaper 2nd option.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd seek another baker. There are a ton of great ones out there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What if you just didn't tell them that you were getting cake for all your guests. You could just tell them that the small cake is really just for you and you hubby to be and that your venue is providing desert. I have been to wedding that have done cupcakes, and even just a chocolate fountain for thier guests---some venues even provide things like little desserts and icecream.

Your bakery could be led to believe that you are just doing a small cake for traditional cake cutting purposes to get some pictures. More often than not they deliever the cake early on in the day, or if it is small enough maybe you could have a friend of the family bring it to the hall. They won't be there at the reception to see that you are actually passing out cake.

Personally, thier buy all your cake from us, or no cake is kinda silly. I would consider looking for another bakery if that were me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't get a small cake - I got a larger teired one but most of my cake was foam and Sorella's in Livonia wouldn't do a foam cake unless I bought my sheet cakes from them.  But I was good with it because it seemed like a reasonable price and I appreciated that they would deliver the sheet cakes - I wouldn't have to go to Costco to pick them up - one less thing to worry about on the day of.
  • Options
    Melgor78Melgor78 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think thats crazy.  I don't know how they can get away with that.  You shouldn't have to tell them anything.  This is what I want and that should be it.  I would have to find another bakery.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any reccommendations but I agree with the bakery. What if you get some crappy sheet cake from bakery B and all of the guests think it's from bakery A (where the smaller wedding cake is from)? I wouldn't let my reputation rest on another bakery either!
  • Options
    SwanyGirly911SwanyGirly911 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for everyone's input. I considered Costco cakes and that was going to be where we were going with it, but decided against it when we had a friend of a friend's cake for my birthday - it was AMAZING! A little more expensive then the Costco cake, but well worth it....Probably even better then the bakery I want my tiered cake from, but the lady doesn't work with fondant. And I can't change my mind on the cake - its what made my choose my colors and whole thought on the wedding basically.

I see what you mean mordacious about taste and reputation, but it just frustrates me. Bakery wants to charge $600+ dollars for sheet cakes for 250 people, and the friend wants to charge $240 for 250 people......Its hard to stay in a budget if vendors are going to be like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards