Michigan-Detroit

What is the average...

ratio for regrets for RSVP's??

I know this probably sounds horrible but my FI and I both come from pretty big families.  I was doing our guest list yesterday and just with his side and my side family members we were up in the 160's.  Most of my family is out of state (GA & MO) and I really don't think that they will make the trip up here. After I put in friends we were over 200, we can't afford that many!!! 

Re: What is the average...

• edited December 2011
    There really is no general rule. Some people say 20% is an average on who will RSVP no. But really, if you cannot afford that many guests, start making cuts! You'd be surprise that people you think will not come, will and those that you know will for sure be there, don't come. There are always unexpected circumstances that may hinder people from coming (sickness, death in family, business trips, etc.) and also the people that didn't think they could come, can because plans changed. Just to be safe, if you can only pay for 160 guests, then make that your max guest list. More than likely if you do invite 200 people, not all will show up. Another option is to have an A and B list. Send your invites out to A-listers and as you get RSVPs back from people with "NO" you can send invites out to the B-listers. But make sure you give the B-listers plenty of time to RSVP and don't make it obvious they didn't cut the A-list. I know I got an invite to a wedding 4 days, that's right, 4 days BEFORE the wedding. Hmm, you think they really wanted me there? Plus it was OOT. That barely gave me enough time to find a hotel and figure out travel arrangements!
  • ms nobodyms nobody member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i've had the same thing happen to me, corrine. OOT and everything!

gift grabby BS. did they get a gift from me? no. she lied and said she sent an invitation- but she didnt. it was SUPER obvious she was lying.  but i went and partied with my long lost BFFS and her wedding was the joke of the year. i've never heard more sh!t talking at someone's wedding lol.

it sounds harsh, but plan for the # of guests you invite- even if it sounds unreasonable.  dont NOT invite family to have all of the extras and "fun" stuff, though.

You'll need to think about cutting the unnecessary elements (and list if there are guests who really have no relation to you). for me, i cut any thought of a photobooth, or candy buffet, or nacho bar, etc. i cut the dream team of vendors i had listed and got realistic about my budget, and prioritizing people over things. it wasn't always easy and i still have lots of wedding envy, but it know i'm making the correct descision. JMO (and miss manners opinion, too FWIW)
    Bio Update 4.25.10
    imageimage
    Amanda Williams Photography
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards