Michigan-Detroit
Options

TMI Tuesday

Do you and Fi use birth control? Which form do you use?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: TMI Tuesday

• Options
    Mrs0toBeMrs0toBe member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

yes indeedy.  I'm on the Pill.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Nope. I can't afford it. I actually had wanted it since I started my period when I was 12 because in the beginning my cramps were so bad I'd throw up the first day every month (and I thought to myself "WTF... this is what's going to happen for the rest of my life?") but it's not covered by my health insurance so I never got around to looking into it (I always wanted it for clearer skin!)
  • Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep.  I'm on the pill and he often uses a condom.
  • Options
    PhoneCardLadyPhoneCardLady member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I use depo provera but I've been using it for my endrometrosis since 1996 - BC is just a plus for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep. I'm on the pill. I started taking it when I was 16 for really heavy, irregular periods but now it does double duty.
  • Options
    Mrs0toBeMrs0toBe member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_tmi-tuesday-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:acc26b2f-0a90-4260-b645-457db680cef8Post:90385bc8-e4c0-441d-8108-50b3e3c13459">Re: TMI Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nope. I can't afford it. I actually had wanted it since I started my period when I was 12 because in the beginning my cramps were so bad I'd throw up the first day every month (and I thought to myself "WTF... this is what's going to happen for the rest of my life?") but it's not covered by my health insurance so I never got around to looking into it (I always wanted it for clearer skin!)
    Posted by Milsey32[/QUOTE]

my insurance doesn't cover "maintenance" drugs so I get mine from Canada.  You still need an Rx from your doctor but it's a lot cheaper than what they charge here.
  • Options
    crhein26crhein26 member
    edited December 2011
    Milsey, I have insurance and it's $35 a month for the pill.  HOWEVER, Kroger sells generic brand birth control for $10/month.  So I get my birth control from then, and when I do the 3 months at a time, I get it even cheaper.  $24/ 3 months.  You should look into it.  But you do need a prescription from your doctor! 

ETA:  And don't give them your insurance information or they will bill your insurance and charge you the $35.  I go to CVS or Walgreen's for everything else, but get my BC at Kroger.  It's really dumb that you have to do that!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Brian and Cori 11-19-11
  • Options
    carpediem27carpediem27 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Until this summer, I was on birth control pills since I was 16 and we also used condoms. Then in June, I eneded up in the hospital with blood clots in my lungs and knee, which are a side effect of hormonal bc. The doctors arent sure if bcp caused my clots, but no more pill for me. So, now we use just condoms, which makes us both nervous. Hopefully, I will get insurance soon so I can look into an IUD. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Condoms and the pill. I'm a safety girl! After we get married, we'll probably just use the pill until we're ready for kids, which actually makes me nervous since I'm so used to double protection!
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been on and off birth control pills since I was 16. A lot of them have messed with my body though and I have not been on any form of birth control for the past 2 years or so. 

I was diagnosed with PCOS, which makes it almost impossible to conceive naturally.  FI and I want children as soon as possible so on Thursday I am actually meeting with my doctor to discuss my fertility options. For those reasons, FI and I do not use any form of protection.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_tmi-tuesday-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:acc26b2f-0a90-4260-b645-457db680cef8Post:0aaeecc5-f4c4-4041-aef9-6240ab47911f">Re: TMI Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TMI Tuesday : my insurance doesn't cover "maintenance" drugs so I get mine from Canada.  You still need an Rx from your doctor but it's a lot cheaper than what they charge here.
    Posted by Mrs0toBe[/QUOTE]

I went to the local health department when I was in college and got the pill for free.  They just ask for a donation...anything you can afford...and then give you pills for a year.  You could always go to planed parenthood too.

I was on the ring for the last several years...$45 per month.  I stopped earlier this year because FI and I want to try for a family right after the wedding.  But...I had some irregular period issues, and now I'm back on the pill for a couple months until things are regular again.
  • Options
    amyn1919amyn1919 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the pill!!! For about 8 more months..then it's baby time! woohoo!

I get the generic version of ortho cyclen, it's called Monoessa...i get it from Walgreens for $12 a month...if you don't have insurance, you can pay i think $25 a year for their W card and there is a list of generics you can get for $12 a month and BC is one of them..
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I have always used condoms.  I'm allergic to all estrogens, so most BC pills are out - and we definitely DO NOT want children.  Any time soon, anyway.

I have horrendous periods, though - the kind where for the first 6 hours of every cycle I'm lying on the bathroom floor, bathed in sweat, room spinning, alternating between sitting on the toilet and throwing up in it, writhing in agony.  Plus a week of mild to moderate discomfort leading up to the start of the period.  The only thing that's ever helped in the slightest was BC pills, but after a year or two I developed this allergy to them.

I was just dealing with it month by month, largely because I have no insurance, but then I realized that I was due to start on our wedding day.  I threw a temper tantrum and then got myself to the doctor.  She wants to try Mirena on me - she's thinking that has the best chance of improving the situation, and it has the lovely side-effect (well, actually pimary effect) of BC.  But it's going to cost several thousand dollars and we can't do that until the insurance from FI's new job kicks in in about 3 months.  So until then, I'm doing progestin-only pills.  We're still using condoms, because the pills are only 80-some percent effective, which is not a percentage I'm willing to bet on.  I'm having some heavy spotting issues, but I'm hoping that it'll either temper the period sickness or mess with my cycle enough that it doesn't start on the wedding day. 
    Because I am not spending my wedding day lying in my gown on a bathroom floor.  Yell
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mrs0toBeMrs0toBe member
    edited December 2011
    For some reason I'm not willing to risk going on generic BC pills.  I know the ingredients are the same but I can't wrap my head around it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been on birth control since I was 17 to help with cramps.  I will be going off right after the wedding.  We won't be " trying" but we won't be preventing either.  I want a good 6 months for my body to figure out its cycle.  In June we'll start paying attention to that cycle and trying.  If we get pregnant before that... we don't care.  We are ready either way.  i am getting old!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_tmi-tuesday-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:acc26b2f-0a90-4260-b645-457db680cef8Post:9f89d984-0b40-4d16-9040-9b16c40a2edb">Re: TMI Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]For some reason I'm not willing to risk going on generic BC pills.  I know the ingredients are the same but I can't wrap my head around it.
    Posted by Mrs0toBe[/QUOTE]

I have NEVER taken a name brand birth control in all of my 14 years of taking them!  When you pay for a name brand...you are basically paying for a name.  Unless you have an allergy to the compounding agent, its a huge waste.  If you insurance covers name brands then hold on to that!!  I work for a catholic hospital so I have great coverage just not on BC pill.  I pay $83 dollars for 3 months for generic.  If I wanted to get the name brand I would be looking at three times that.  I wouldn't be paying for any " special drug".  I would be paying for a name. 
  • Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_tmi-tuesday-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:acc26b2f-0a90-4260-b645-457db680cef8Post:bbcc7bfb-35af-4f34-a478-54a58df17ade">Re: TMI Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TMI Tuesday : I have NEVER taken a name brand birth control in all of my 14 years of taking them!  When you pay for a name brand...you are basically paying for a name.  Unless you have an allergy to the compounding agent, its a huge waste.  If you insurance covers name brands then hold on to that!!  I work for a catholic hospital so I have great coverage just not on BC pill.  I pay $83 dollars for 3 months for generic.  If I wanted to get the name brand I would be looking at three times that.  I wouldn't be paying for any " special drug".  I would be paying for a name. 
    Posted by lmalear01[/QUOTE]

Most generics are actually slightly different than the name brand but not enough for most people's bodies to notice.  I found out by default of my old insurance company, that I can't take generics and get the same effects.  Before starting BC I had long, heavy periods to the point of being anemic, was never on a normal schedule, and had cramps so bad I'd just want to curl up in a ball all day; I've tried numerous generics and all those symptoms returned and stayed the entire time I was on them. 
  • Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    You know, I take generics for a lot of medications, including BC, and I'm fine with it. But, I had a kidney transplant several years ago and have been taking brand name immunosuppressants for that since then. Due to cost (they are OBSCENE) and insurance changes, I made the choice to switch to generics, and I was more than a little worried about it. Even though they're basically the same. Everything's fine, but still, it's been something I had to mentally adjust to.

It's funny how I'm fine with certain generics, but not all generics. So I guess I can see Mrs0toBe's concern. 
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    missmelanie81missmelanie81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I have 2 kids from a previouse marriage and FI doesnt want any of his own, so last spring he got snipped.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    200image 167image 32image 1image RSVP Date: May 1st
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you guys checked out Planned parenthood or the Health dept for the BC? I know back in the day, you use to be able to just give a "donation" and still get the pill.

I use the IUD and have for over a year now. I love not having a period and love not having to use a condom (since I have a latex allergy).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_tmi-tuesday-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:acc26b2f-0a90-4260-b645-457db680cef8Post:22c76864-6042-4d63-bc2f-92fd2a7fe20b">Re: TMI Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TMI Tuesday : Most generics are actually slightly different than the name brand but not enough for most people's bodies to notice.  I found out by default of my old insurance company, that I can't take generics and get the same effects.  Before starting BC I had long, heavy periods to the point of being anemic, was never on a normal schedule, and had cramps so bad I'd just want to curl up in a ball all day; I've tried numerous generics and all those symptoms returned and stayed the entire time I was on them. 
    Posted by MMRoberts11[/QUOTE]

They are only different in the inactive ingrediants.  A generic drug must use the same active ingrediant as the original manufactured drug.
    The generic drug manufacturer must ensure that the drug they are producing contains the same active ingredient(s) as the brand-name product, in the same dosage form, at the same dose or concentration.  The chemical composition must be the same.  The only reason that there is name brand product is because the company who originates a drug gets a 20 year patent on that compound.  Once that patent expires, other companies can make a version of that drug.  It has to be different in that it must be a differernt shape, color, size etc.  But the actual "chemical" must be the same or they would have to get their own patent for a different drug.
    Some people do have allergies to generics because of dyes used or different inactive ingrediants...But chemically the drugs are the same.
  • Options
    XCaribeansXCaribeans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Michigan also offers a program called "plan first" you can fill out the app. online, it pays for  free pap smears and birth control through planned parenthood. i was doing that until i got insurance thru work. a lot of people don't know about it, but its awesome for us ladies that may not have insurance otherwise. just wanted to share :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for all the info ladies... I'm trying not to giggle thinking about getting BC from Canada because I just imagine it like smuggling drugs, haha but I will definitely look into planned parenthood or Kroger or something! for sureeee

I'm afraid it'll mess with me before the wedding // during the honeymoon. Should I just wait?
  • Options
    drewmwdrewmw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was on the pill for about a year... but it cause almost constant spotting, or "breakthrough bleeding" which was insanely annoying to deal with. It was like having a light period all the time! My doc tried several differernt kinds hoping that it would stop, but it never did. So I gave up. Now we use condoms, which we're ok with.
    Created by Wedding Favors

Wedding Planning and DIY bio Updated 05/15/12
    image 167 Made the list
    image 115 Accept
    image 46 Decline
    image 6 Not ready to decide
    RSVP deadline: June 8
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hate BCP, hate it, but it prevents me from getting really bad cysts. I went off it last year and felt awesome, but recently had to start taking it again.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I take BC pills. My insurance doesn't cover them also. So, I am going to look into the other options everyone mentioned. Thanks Ladies

I used the patch for over 5 years and loved it until they pulled it off the market. Then I tried the nuva ring, I hated it. I hated having something up me all teh time and I also was always nervous because sometimes during sex it would fall out. I never understood how it protected me when it was falling out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am on the pill I take seasonique so i only have a period once every three months. I think we are going to go off when this pack is done and start trying but we shall see how that goes. DH has a son that is 4 and will be 5 in November and we don't want the kids to be too far apart.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards