Michigan-Detroit
Options

Any vegetarians?

I found this article and thought it was interesting, since i am vegetarian.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/fashion/08vegan.html?_r=3&hp

Are there any others on the board? Are you serving meat at your wedding?

Meat eaters, what would you think if you went to a reception with only veg options?
Final Count 181! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Any vegetarians?

• Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not vegetarian (was, for awhile as a teenager), but my FSIL & FBIL are. When they got married two years ago, the food they served was vegetarian and really good. I don't really remember exactly what we ate, but I remembered that it was all very good.

We're serving meat dishes at our wedding, but ordering special meals for FSIL & FBIL. Our venue isn't budging about offering more than salad, pasta and potatoes as Veg. options. Understanding it's their choice to be vegetarians, I still want them to be able to eat something good at our wedding. They are the only Vegetarians (that we know of, and have been told) going to our wedding.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's really thoughtful of you! In all the weddings I have been in (7) I think at about 2 there was a veg option outside of rolls and salad, so I think that it so great for you to think of them. Not that I am complaining...I like salad and love bread.

We are definitely serving meat at our reception, because after "it's about time" , "there will be meat, RIGHT?!?" is probably the 2nd most common comment we get. My FI is not vegetarian, so I always assumed we would have a meat choice. He actually suggested going all vegetarian, but I felt bad. Instead we are having one meat entree and one vegetarian entree. I think that's fair.
    Final Count 181! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not quite a vegetarian, but I do tend to choose vegetarian options when I have the choice and really don't eat a lot of meat.  I would be perfectly happy with a vegetarian wedding, I'm always trying to explain to people (especially FI) that meat isn't necessary to have an amazing meal!   I have quite a few friends who are vegetarian so we definitely had that as an option and made sure our reception site could accomodate.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a problem with a vegetarian wedding. I guess I look at it like any other wedding meal choice - we selected the style of chicken, beef, sides, etc. so what if we select entrees that all lack meat. Its not like going to a restuarant where each guest will get to select their favorite dish anyway.

Maybe its because we went vegetarian for a while, and still have many meatless days/meals so I know its more than rolls/iceberg lettuce but I just don't understand the obsession some people have with meat - there are other foods out there - one meal without a hunk of flesh on your plate will not kill you.

As long as I'm full from the meal its not a big deal to me.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our venue reqires us to ask about special dietary restrictions on our RSVP cards.  At first I thought this seemed a bit crazy.  But then my friend was making some comment about how her and her husband (both vegetarians) will eat before a wedding since there typically isn't a meal for them.  They are pretty strict so they won't eat out of a buffet due to cross-contamination of utensils, etc.  So now I am glad that we are able to accommodate these guests (as well as others with allergies) with meals they can enjoy.  As of right now, we have 5 vegetarians and 1 nut allergy and it is posible more may come in.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    queenfm85queenfm85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a "pesco-vegetarian" so I DO eat fish. I wanted to just serve salmon and vegetarian pasta choices (marinara/alfredo/pesto) but my mom flipped out and my MOH was all bitchy about it. So I included the chicken. NO way would I serve Beef. I love cows too much :P lol
    Danielle & Tyler

10-10-10

"God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 126 Invited image 41 Getting Crazy image 10 Party Poopin image 75 MIA
    RSVP Date: September 10th
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards