Michigan-Detroit

Registering for Honeymoon

So I have been to a few weddings where people have done this and I or anyone that I have talked to didn't find it rude, tacky or offensive.  On some other boards here people have said registering for your honeymoon is a terrible idea.  My fiance and I have lived together for 2 years and have everything! We have been considering registering at Bed Beth and Beyond and for our honeymoon and letting people do what they want.  What do you ladies think?  Is registering for your honeymoon tacky and offensive? Is there something about it that I am just not seeing? Or is it ok if we provide another option?  Thanks for you help!

Re: Registering for Honeymoon

• emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I think they are tacky.  The point of registering is to get you items to start your lives together and a honeymoon is not required as it is just a glorified vacation.  Also, I would rather just give you money rather than donating to a honeyfund where a company takes a cut of the money.

FI and I have also lived together for going on 3 years now but we can always upgrade items we already have (linens, towels, etc.)  You could always register for upgrades or just don't register.  If you don't register, people will get the gist that you want cash.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think they are tacky. Not very traditional...yes. We have one but I don't think we are going to use it. We have lived on our own for a few years and two years together so I thought the same way you did. That is until I actually went to BBB to register. Now I'm more than satisfied with the normal registry. I didn't realize how much stuff we wanted/needed until we actually did it.

Anyways, I say go for it! I certianly wouldn't be offended if I were a guest. I just got an invite to a wedding on Facebook for gods sake! There are far worse things you could do imo.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_registering-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:b3c7a98d-b839-460e-b357-f3963842c9d5Post:6d029d45-dad1-4894-8b41-74937713f6d8">Re: Registering for Honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I think they are tacky.  The point of registering is to get you items to start your lives together and a honeymoon is not required as it is just a glorified vacation.  Also, I would rather just give you money rather than donating to a honeyfund where a company takes a cut of the money. FI and I have also lived together for going on 3 years now but we can always upgrade items we already have (linens, towels, etc.)  You could always register for upgrades or just don't register.  If you don't register, people will get the gist that you want cash.
    Posted by emarston1[/QUOTE]

Actually Honeyfund doesn't take any money from you. Paypal, yes. But people can also send you a check which kind of defeats the purpose.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think they are tacky at all. We love traveling and our close family and friends know this about us. We didn't register for our honeymoon, but we registered for excursions for our honeymoon and they've already all been purchased because everyone thought it was a fantastic idea! We haven't had one thing purchased off our "traditional" registry yet, BTW.
  • edited December 2011

Thank you!!! I was starting to think something was wrong with me cause I don't find them to be rude, tacky or offensive either!!! Glad I am not the only one!

• crhein26crhein26 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok...I know I'm extremely opinionated...but the way I feel is you can register for whatever you feel like.  If you want to register for a honeymoon, then go for it.  And if I am coming to your wedding and don't want to give you money for a honeymoon, then I will buy you something of my choosing.  Most people who attend weddings give money anyways and chances are, you are going to use it for your honeymoon.  I don't see how registering for a honeymoon is any different then opening an account so people can put money into it for a house.  Chances are, something on your BBB registery is going to seem a little odd to me.  If I don't like the idea, then I will find something else.  You are only going to be married once and it's your wedding...so do what you feel is right!  Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Brian and Cori 11-19-11
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_registering-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:b3c7a98d-b839-460e-b357-f3963842c9d5Post:c73203dd-af66-4265-a634-b31af502a54f">Re: Registering for Honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't see how registering for a honeymoon is any different then opening an account so people can put money into it for a house.
    Posted by crhein26[/QUOTE]

Do people <em>actually</em> do this?!?
  • crhein26crhein26 member
    edited December 2011
    Yes...you have never heard of this?  There are websites out there where you can set up an account and people can donate to you buying a house.  I don't think I'd ever do it.  I will register and then if people want to give us money they can.  The bottom line is...people will get you whatever they want to.  Whether it be $5 or a some amazing gift.  Your suggestions of what you want are just that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Brian and Cori 11-19-11
  • SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure it's for me, but you know, some people would honestly see it as something different. Maybe it'd be cooler to know you helped two people enjoy something amazing on their honeymoon (like swimming with dolphines or a midnight cruise) than know you bought them his and her towels.
  • GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_registering-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:b3c7a98d-b839-460e-b357-f3963842c9d5Post:6d029d45-dad1-4894-8b41-74937713f6d8">Re: Registering for Honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I think they are tacky.  The point of registering is to get you items to start your lives together and a honeymoon is not required as it is just a glorified vacation.  Also, I would rather just give you money rather than donating to a honeyfund where a company takes a cut of the money. FI and I have also lived together for going on 3 years now but we can always upgrade items we already have (linens, towels, etc.)  You could always register for upgrades or just don't register.  If you don't register, people will get the gist that you want cash.
    Posted by emarston1[/QUOTE]

This. I personally think it's tacky, but to each their own.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • natalia1102natalia1102 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i love it and we will more then likely do the same thing. i have also heard of people starting wedding funds thru thier bank. maybe u would feel a little more comfortable about doin that. i do kno that many people dnt like to give money as a gift b/c they dnt feel that its "personal" - i always give money b/c most couples now a days pay for thier own weddings or at least a portion of it. from what i understand ~ banks have been doin this wedding fund thing tho and maybe they could give u more information if u were interested. good luck :)
  • edited December 2011
    I love the knot!! Thanks a million ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards