Michigan-Detroit
Options

Toxic Friends

Do any of you have some toxic friends that you just can't seem to shake? 

I have one friend who has always been way ahead of me, living with her bf, about to get engaged, etc.  Well, they broke up and I ended up getting engaged before she even got a new boyfriend...and she was PISSED!!  My FI and I were on vaca and we had just gotten engaged and were making the phone calls...while I was telling some of my other friends, he updated his Facebook status to "Engaged" (I didn't think it should show up until I accepted it) and LITERALLY 1 minute later she was calling HIS phone (she didn't have his #, she stalked it on FB because I didn't switch over to take her call when she called my phone)...the first thing she said was DO YOU NEED TO TELL ME SOMETHING??  The entire convo was how I hadn't called her right away, with one measly "congrats" thrown in there.  I thought I'd give her one more chance and we went out to dinner a week or so later - when she saw my ring she said "Bitch...I hate you..." and never talked about my wedding again. 

At first I was feeling guilty about not asking her to be in my wedding, since I have known her for 10+ years, but she just doesn't even deserve it.  She even had the nerve to tell me that I was stressing about wedding planning because "I'm just not a planner".  Then she tried to convince me to let HER plan my wedding!!  Umm no...considering she is such a drama queen that she passed out on the alter of her own sister's wedding and had to be rushed out of there, interrupting the entire ceremony.

What are your horror stories???
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Toxic Friends

• Options
    acaponi87acaponi87 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry :(

Honestly I shook all my toxic friends by like 9th grade..at least the girls. I only have like 3 girlfriends who aren't family..I just can't handle the drama that usually accompanies it.  I'd probably tell that girl to shove it lol
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    sparkles776sparkles776 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

I remember that before I got engaged it was slightly frustrating to be around my friends who had just gotten engaged. Of course I was genuinely happy for them and I expressed that, there was that part of my heart that got slightly deflated still waiting for my turn. If your friend is really truly not very happy for you, you are absolutely doing the right thing in not asking her to be a part of your day. You want people next to you that are the most supportive people to you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a friend just like that! She will NOT be in my wedding!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    JMBsbrideJMBsbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have had some very similar issues. I even told my FI that I was jealous of him for his big group of "no drama" friends (How terrible of me, I know). I can't figure out how to have that. Like acaponi87 I am down to 3 or 4 girlfriends. Honestly, I'm becoming closer to my FI's friends. It's just easier to cut the drama out. After the wedding I wonder what will happen with my friendships. It makes me sad :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards