Michigan-Detroit
Options

About to flip out - long

I am seriously starting to think that my florist has disappeared off the face of the earth.

We booked him last March because he was really a great deal and his work was gorgeous, plus he really impressed me with being able to visualize what I wanted without me saying much at all.

I last corresponded with him in August when he sent me some sample pictures of a centerpiece that he did at a wedding that month.

Since January, I've been trying to e-mail him to see if we could rent candles and table numbers (he had mentioned this before).  I sent two or three e-mails that went unanswered.  Tonight I decided to try calling him because I noticed that our final payment is due May 1...and the number has been disconnected.  And his website is down.  And his facebook page has disappeared (it still existed when I checked it last month).

And I'm about to have a heart attack if this guy doesn't explain himself soon.  I hope nothing is seriously wrong, but you would think that SOMEONE would contact his clients and inform them of such.  I'm not even sure what to do if he continues to not answer me!

I wish I had known about the stickies before I booked this guy :(  that was before I was active on this board....wahhhh, maybe I would have booked someone that will actually answer my e-mails!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: About to flip out - long

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm really sorry.  It sounds like he went out of business or bankrupt and has not bothered to notify anyone.  The first thing I'd do is call your local better business bureau and find out what action you can take.  They help resolve issues like this.  I would not make the May 1 deposit and I would start looking for another florist. Try the stickies or try to get some of the well-established locations like Blossoms in Birmingham, Belassario, or Viviano's.  One of these larger places should be able to help you out and make room on your date. 

Also, if you post the name of the company, maybe someone can help you what happened?

And finally, try to breathe, you'll have flowers no matter what or how you have to get them.  If all else fails, I'll go to a florist with you and make your bouquets at the last minute - they might not look like a professional, but it's hard to screw up pretty flowers. :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aww you are too sweet :)  Thank you for the suggestions and the offer!

The name of the company is Andrew's Atelier.  I think he just worked out of his home.  I know that someone had complained that they hadn't been able to contact him a while back, but I hadn't even attempted at the time so I really thought nothing of it.  Maybe he informed someone else that he is no longer in business?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I remember reading the post about him now that you mention the name.  Since other people haven't heard from him, it makes me think that he just went out of business. 

Here's the link to the Better Business Bureau for our area.  Follow the steps under "File a Complaint"  - that's how to get the process started.  My mom and I did this once when a company went out of business on us.  It was for my toy train, and they were repairing it.  We never got the train back and no one ever informed us of the closing until the BBB sorted it out.  Hope it helps.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry!  I hope you're not losing too much deposit, since it really sounds like he's not around anymore.

But I KNOW you will end up with beautiful flowers at your wedding!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I can only imagine what you must be feeling, but do what PPs said and file on BBB. You still have time and there are lots of good florists out there. If you need any help, please post and we will be there. I know you have a lot going on with the wedding and school - I'll call some places for you if you want!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I read a book recently all about weddings. The best tip I got out of the book was pay all your deposits on a credit card. If you don't get the product you were promised you by law can get you money back. I am sure it will be  a long process but at the end of the day you will get it back. So I hoped you made a deposit on your credit card and if you did look into this for sure. 

On a side note this sucks and makes me grateful these boards are here to inform other people not to use him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any advice other than what has been already been said but I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.  If Kayla can find a new reception venue in less than four months, you definitely can find a new florist!   It'll all be ok in the end and let us know if you need any help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!  You are all very sweet :)  I will definitely update and let you know if I could use some help!

PS - I did some internet stalking last night and found that he has a "meet up" page that says he has been planning on moving to Washington DC since last July and moved there in January!  So apparently it seems that he just decided to up and move his business elsewhere and not inform any current clients, and seemingly walk away with our $200 deposit as well.  Needless to say I was fuming last night, but I'm much calmer today.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's a bit crazy.  Definitely get ahold of the BBB, and if the guy just worked out of his house, you might be screwed. :(

Knotties to the rescue!  I'm getting my flowers done from a floral manager at Kroger- 450-500 for all the flowers, including bouquets and centerpieces.  I've seen her do weddings before, and her arrangements are beautiful.  I don't expect Kroger to go out of business very soon, lol.

Also, my husband's cousin has an on-the-side floral business she runs out of her home.  Not quite sure what she charges, but she told us it wouldn't be too much either. 

Let me know if you would like either phone number.  

ETA: This guy sounds horrible!  July, "Hmm I think I'll move out of state." August, "Hey here's what your flowers will look like, can I have money now?"  January, "Good thing I got that money before I moved and didn't tell anyone."  April, "What are all these women doing at my door with torches??  Ahhh!"
    BabyFruit Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker Our Bio Bridesmaid Dresses July 2012 November Siggy: Bridesmaid Dresses!
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Take him to court.  He owes you the $200 (at the very least).  Get your money back and do not allow him to get away with this!
  • Options
    lanejanelanejane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sucks so much! I wish you the best in finding a new florist and I know it will be very difficult to get your money back. Yep like pp said, it sounds like he packed up and used your money for moving expenses. What an awful thing to do. Don't worry karma is a bitch!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lndskellylndskelly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

OMG I can't believe this happened! Though, try not to kick yourself too much because I almost booked this guy too (luckily my date was taken) and he had good reviews on the knot when I was looking for florists. I would definitely recommend Viviano's - that's who I went with and I'm getting everything I wanted (10 centerpieces, 6 bouquets, boutonnieres, travel & setup) for $1200. Good luck, this sounds incredibly frustrating! I would probably sh*t myself... 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG!! that's so terrible!!! i say do some searching around and find his business # in DC and call and pitch a fit about it!!
    i agree also, you may want to consider court. what a D-Bag!!
    Hope you find a new florist soon. and at a decent price.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    sammichele - the ladies i already booked are wonderful and very inexpensive, if you are still looking for someone pm me and i will get you the info.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_flip-out-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:c573a168-85b6-4fab-a244-7563287ee746Post:4f583bd2-a839-4cce-b261-27c92ef3ad5a">Re: About to flip out - long</a>:
    [QUOTE]I read a book recently all about weddings. The best tip I got out of the book was pay all your deposits on a credit card. If you don't get the product you were promised you by law can get you money back. Posted by LOTON01[/QUOTE]

I have actually done this. I went to have my hair colored at a salon and ended up with bluish/purple hair (supposed to be brown with blond highlights)...needless to say I was in tears when I left. I had difficulties with getting it corrected at that salon. I documented everything and contacted my credit card company. I filled out their paperwork and sent them my documentation. I think my credit for what I paid was hit my account within 1 to 2 billing cycles.

Good Luck!!
  • Options
    golemhmgolemhm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is really awful!  You should definitely look into taking legal action against him.  At least to recover your original deposit and try to recover any difference in price there might be from switching florists.  I have no doubt you'll find a new florist though, one you might end up liking even more.  I would def try some that were previously mentioned. Also, I think Westborn Market does pretty nice flowers as well, not sure on pricing.  I would try not to stress too much, I'm sure everything will work out just fine.  We're all here to help you!  
  • Options
    lndskellylndskelly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_flip-out-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:c573a168-85b6-4fab-a244-7563287ee746Post:4f583bd2-a839-4cce-b261-27c92ef3ad5a">Re: About to flip out - long</a>:
    [QUOTE]I read a book recently all about weddings. The best tip I got out of the book was pay all your deposits on a credit card. If you don't get the product you were promised you by law can get you money back. I am sure it will be  a long process but at the end of the day you will get it back. So I hoped you made a deposit on your credit card and if you did look into this for sure.  On a side note this sucks and makes me grateful these boards are here to inform other people not to use him.
    Posted by LOTON01[/QUOTE]

<div>The thing about small vendors is many of them do not accept credit cards (my photographer and DJ only take cash/checks). Since this florist worked from his home I fear it was probably the same kind of circumstance... but good advice to keep in mind for the future!</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hopefully to cheer you up - a friend of mine was having her flowers done by a friend of hers, who asked her 2 weeks before the wedding if she (the bride) could get all the flowers for her because she was on holiday the week before and wouldn;t have time to get them!! She had been booked for the wedding for over a year, and had booked her holiday right before the wedding.

Needless to say my friend went to a big established florist who fitted her in for all the bouquets & bouttoniers and we did the centre pieces ourselves and it all turned out perfectly.

You will find someone who will do a great job for you. Good luck.
  • Options
    lcsnowflakelcsnowflake member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you!  I hope that you can get your deposit back!  Did you have a contract or anything in writing, maybe even a receipt would help!

Good luck!
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    NOW I know why I didn't get an email back from him when I sent it a few month back. I was buying the flowers and was just going to have him arrange them!

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Did you give him a check? If so, go to your bank's website and see what the endorsement  says, what account he was using when he cashed it (the bank will have the info on the back with account number and his signature). Go to, or call,  his bank and ask if the account is still open, and whether you can stop payment on it or not. At the very least you will have a bit more info.

And make sure he's not on the KNot's recommended list.

I think I Found the sight you found him on, it's a "meetup" group in DC. If I were you I'd join and trash his name all over the place (but that's just me)! Jump in on their blogs, demanding your money back!

http://www.meetup.com/WashingtonEventProfessionals/members/?offset=20&desc=0&sort=Member.name
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure you guys saw this already, but his facebook is listed on that website: 
    BabyFruit Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker Our Bio Bridesmaid Dresses July 2012 November Siggy: Bridesmaid Dresses!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards