Michigan-Detroit
Options

how much can I expect for alterations?

I definitely need to get it hemmed. Probably taken in a bit around the bust and hip area. I have an appointment with David's Bridal (where I bought the dress) but I not sure if this is the best/cheapest route. How much should I budget for alterations and do you have suggested on cheaper alternatives?

Thanks!!
Ann and Brett 10.9.10

Re: how much can I expect for alterations?

• Options
    leeshab1982leeshab1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't buy my dress at David's, but I can tell you what the lady at my dress shop told me.  She estimated for the bustle, hem, and  about 1 inch taken in on the bust, I would be looking at around $250-$300, possibly more depending on how many bustle points I need.  I have a cousin who is a seamstress, so I brought the dress home and I'm going to have her look at it before I decide to pay someone that much money.  She might be able to do it for me, but if not she'll at least tell me what to expect and what would be reasonable.  I don't know if $300 is average or what, but I was kind of shocked by it since the dress itself was only $700!  And the store wanted me to order a size 4 sized bigger than what I did.  Who knows what the alterations would have been then!

Lots of girls on here have gone to a lady who works out of her home...Hannah, maybe?  I'm sure one of them will chime in and let you know.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just went to Bella Alterations in Livonia - they were great!  I was quoted $280 for a hem, bustle, a little taken in in the chest area as well as putting cups in.
  • Options
    aaf10aaf10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow, sorry for all the typos. It has been a looong day! My dress was originally $950 but got it on sale for $450, so I'm really hoping on not spending too much on alterations. Can I show up at my appointment and if they quote me an insane amount, can I actually say I want to go somewhere else?
    Ann and Brett 10.9.10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Of course you can say that.  Until they put the needle to the dress you are not obligated to do a thing! 
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    mink492mink492 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used a woman named Mary Sumey-Rodzewicz, who works out of her house in Garden City. It was $175 for the hem, French bustle, taken in at the chest & waist & a sweetheart neckline added. I'm pretty sure her number is in my bio, or you can search her on FB.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My bridal salon was going to charge me $250 for alterations! I found this lady who owns her own tailoring shop, she charged me $120 for everything...took in my waist, hips, added a strap and added a bustle to my train. Her shop in farmington Hills at a place called Needle Nook on 1 mile road. She has been in the business for over 40 years. She is pretty great.
  • Options
    aaf10aaf10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all the suggestion so far :) I am very happy to know will likely get this done with under $200.
    Ann and Brett 10.9.10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's probably a ways away for you, but I'm going with Quality Alterations on Frankenmuth (at least I think that's what it's called...Taryn can correct me if I'm wrong) and I was quoted $95 for significant re-working of the bust of my dress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards