Michigan-Detroit
Options

Facebook wedding photos

I read Weddingbee everyday and one of the bloggers asked if the readers thought it was a ridiculous request to ask people not to post pictures from the wedding on their facebook pages.  There weren't many comments on it (maybe 10), but majority of them thought it was ok to ask.

I do not feel like it is. It seems like a little much to police other people's facebook pages, what do you all think?
Final Count 181! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Facebook wedding photos

• Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Weird...

However, I did unfriend all of my exes, as well as a few other people recently.  The idea that these people could see my wedding photos and all that kinda creeped me out a bit.  Also, I am not really friends with them anymore, so whatev.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I do agree that you shouldn't ask people to not post, but I also think that you shouldn't HAVE to ask in some circumstances.

For example, when FSIL had her baby I waited until she posted pictures of the baby before I posted my own.  It just seemed polite to give her a chance to post first because it is HER baby, not mine.  Likewise, it is my wedding after all....and I'd like to be the first to post pictures of it.  Not saying that you can't ever post pictures, but it just seems like it's stepping over a boundary a little, IMO, to go ahead and post pictures of someone else's wedding before they even have a chance to breathe or get back from the honeymoon or whatever the case may be.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    sammichele - I completely agree with you!! I am the same way, I'll wait for you to post first, then post mine :-)
    image 280 Invited
    image 250 are ready to party! image 30 have better things to do image0 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: April 2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image ~PlanningBio~
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011
    I don't even know that I agree with that...  First of all, I won't have my camera at the wedding (obviously) and I probably won't get the photographer pictures back for a while.  In the meantime, I'd love to see pictures that anyone has and can post.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm with Julie here.  I didn't have my camera at the wedding, and I was on FB the next evening finding pictures people posted of my wedding.  DH and I had a blast looking though all of the pictures our friends posted!!!  I was extremely grateful that people posted them! 

As to the question, I think it's weird to ask people to NOT post pictures of FB.  It's their photos, their camera, and their FB.  They can do what they want, and I don't really have the right to tell them not to.  Also, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have invited anyone to my wedding if there was some worry associated with them posting my pictures somewhere.
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://detroit.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_facebook-wedding-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:e5c2999d-9a20-4f95-8681-618e53ecc950Post:7c1f9550-9310-4f1c-a84a-f60decda56da">Re: Facebook wedding photos</a>:
    [QUOTE]As to the question, I think it's weird to ask people to NOT post pictures of FB.  It's their photos, their camera, and their FB.  They can do what they want, and I don't really have the right to tell them not to.  Also, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have invited anyone to my wedding if there was some worry associated with them posting my pictures somewhere.
    Posted by melhunny[/QUOTE]

Melanie said what I was trying to say.  But better.

The only time I have asked people to not post pictures on Facebook is when they are not appropriate.  And by not appropriate, I mean drunk pictures.  My friend posted pictures from the bachelorette party, which is fine, but we did ask her to remove the pictures from later in the album when people (especially my sister) were obviously drunk.  No one was doing anything appropriate, but it was very obvious that she was drunk.  But then again, the friend that posted it doesn't have a lot of common sense and most people would realize not to post those pictures in the first place.

Trust me, I have several albums of photos on Kodak Share Gallery that I shared with my friends, but would NEVER go on Facebook.

But everything else is fair game in my book.
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    edited December 2011

I wouldn't be offended or put off if someone asked me not to post pictures.  I know I had to ask people not to say anything on facebook about our engagement until we said something because we didn't want family/close friends to find out like that so i understand the reasoning that the bride/groom want to be the first to post.

But if you just don't want any pictures on facebook all, I think you have no business being on facebook in general.  It's a social networking site, that's what you do--share pictures, stories, etc.  It's completely voluntary and if you are that tightly wound and strict about what your friends post about you, just get off facebook.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's weird to ask. De-friend the friends on FB if you don't want certain people to see them.

Julie and Mel--I had my camera at the wedding and I'm so happy I did. I gave my camera to a GM girlfriend who took pics of the ceremony and then my camera floated around between friends at the reception. That was probably the best thing I did because I have some awesome pictures that I can have right away.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess one of the things I have trouble with is that when someone else is posting pictures of you on their account, it's all of THEIR friends that can see them, not necessarily yours.  Which could possibly be a lot of people that you don't know.  One of my friends had done study abroad this past winter and has a lot of FB friends now from other countries that I definitely have not met or will ever meet.  It's not really a huge concern of mine if they see my wedding pictures because I'm sure their not creepy or stalker-ish or anything, but it is definitely something that other people might not be comfortable with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the blogger was more worried about looking unflattering in pictures. She spcecifically mentioned that she wanted to hand pick the photos people saw.  I am in the camp that loves looking at other peoples pictures and I will be on fb the day after our wedding to see what other people saw.

On some of the other points- I agree that enagements/babies are not appropriate occasions to post before the couple gets to. But i just don't think bossing other people is very nice.
    Final Count 181! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ohhhh - if it's about "looking good" rather than privacy, I totally understand.  That does seem a like a bridezilla move to want to hand pick each photo.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's a weird request. I know a few people that did this.Some people are just really private, so have other issues like stalkers, and some people just want to keep that special day to themselves and the guest that are there. I totally understand. To each his/her own.

Me personally, I don't mind. Although a few people asked me if it were okay to post pictures, I told them yes, by to be sure that they kept the view to "friends only".

This was a very special day to me and hey, I looked kind of hot, so it is cool with me. But my husband despises facebook, he is very private and if he could have it his way, none of our photos would be on FB, theknot, blogs or anywhere else. But he knows that he married an internet junkie, so he had no choice but to get over it. LOL 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm a little curious to know why someone would not want them posted.  I can totally understand not wanting inappropriate pictures of yourself posted (drinking, partying, etc), but your wedding?

Personally, I loved that so many people posted pics from our wedding on facebook!  It was so much fun for DH and I to look through them and talk about all the stuff that had gone on that day.

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a little curious to know why someone would not want them posted.  I can totally understand not wanting inappropriate pictures of yourself posted (drinking, partying, etc), but your wedding?

I'm like Brandi's hubby, VERY private. I know it's hard to believe because I'm fairly outgoing. But I definitely want control over what people know about my life. My fiance has a facebook page, and we have decided together what pics of us are on it. I've posted pics here, and on my wedding bio. Again, it's what I or WE have posted. We posted pics of his newborn granddaughter last month, with his daughter's permission.

I'm an older person, so of course I have a much different perspective. The internet is a great thing. It helps a lot of people stay in touch. However, whatever is on the internet is FOREVER, and it's that aspect that bothers me. It's not that it can be viewed today, it's that it can be available to anyone, anywhere, any time.

My son wants to go into the political realm. I've already cautioned him that you can't "unpost" something you've "put out there".

I know I'm an old fuddy duddy when it comes to this stuff.
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011
    Regarding looking good in the pics -- learn to UNTAG and move on.  I untag myself all.the.time. in unflattering pictures.  Wait, who am I kidding?  I always look great. Except not.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe they didnt want people who didnt get invited to get angry that the poster did get invited? That don't make much sense but could be a theroy. In that case defriend them. I dont post much wedding on my FB because im not invited the majority of the people on it. Its just a social network.

Now i dont post crazy pictures of myself and sure im selective about what goes on there because thats smart. But in all honesty? People see you every day in public. The day of your wedding, hundreds of people you dont know will see you and see that your married. Your photographer might even use your pictures in their showcase, same with your videographer. How many thousands of strangers will see that?

Now that I sound creepy I still wouldn't want my friends posting pictures of me on my wedding day like this : (fyi this isn't me hehe, taken from wedinator.com)
    http://wedinator.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/129193678531627788.jpg?w=500&h=313
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My friend married a football player in June and added something like - "This day is sacred and private for us, our family and friends. We graciously request that you do not post pictures and videos of our special day to any social media sites but that you keep them and enjoy them for your personal use."
    It wasn't exactly that - but something eloquent and to the point. I totally understand.. people get really ridiculous with posting pictures on facebook and what not.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket Visit Detroit.Weddings.com

I'm a guest blogger on 12Kwedding.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards