Michigan-Detroit

Wedding/reception location..

I am trying to find a venue that we can get married at and have reception somewhere around rochester/Troy area. As of now the guest list is around 125people, and we want an open bar. My original hope was that we could pull off a wedding reception for $5.000 or under, but at this point that is looking impossible. We don't have a super ton of money, BUT I fell like even if we did , I don't want to go over board with wedding expenses. There are so many other things I want, like new appliances for my home, or redo my kitchen :-) does anyone know of a venue that I can have both wedding and reception at that is not only a good price but pretty and elegant as well? Or even a reception with a wedding location not to far away. I am willing to cut a few more off the guest list if need be. I'm just not coming up with a whole lot of venue options. I want a beautiful elegant but cost savvy wedding , is that possible???
Future Mrs.Hensley Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding/reception location..

• I think Rochester/Troy is a more expensive area. We are paying the price you hoped for and are having great food/apps  and a late night snack. But our reception is in Whitmore Lake :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Welcome to the Detroit Board.

I agree with dawnleanna1, the Troy/Rochester area is going to be tough to find something in that price range in the type of elegant venue space you mention. If the $5000 is for 125 people, that's $40 per person. Take that back to about $25-$30 per person as the quoted price by a venue because the tax/gratuities adds enough to take it almost to $40 per person.

The Knot has a lot of venues in it's vendor list, see the "Local Vendors" tab in the toolbar and search. The brides on this board have also put their reviews and pricing in the top post on this board with the push-pin called "vendors/reviews".

If you look into having your wedding on a Friday night, or Sunday, outside the "wedding season" of April-October you might find something. Many brides think an appetizer reception is cheaper, but it is not because providing enough appetizers to make a meal can cost as much or more than a buffet because appetizers are "labor intensive" and require a lot more work than making a bunch of the same food and putting it in chafing dishes.

If you are willing to look in areas away from Troy and Rochester, I can think of these on the East side which are nice venues, and might be in that range (not positive):

- Royalty House in Warrn
    - Gazebo in Warren
    - Best Western Sterling Inn in Sterling Hts.

There is also Crank's Catering in (I think) Shelby Township. They used to be in Warren but moved. I know that Arnoldo's downriver has been very popular with the brides here and they rave about the price and venue.

Good luck. The brides on this board are really nice and helpful.

• vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

You could do a Friday or a Sunday wedding, those are less expensive. Or a non mealtime reception and do like cake and punch, or appitizers.

• I'm getting married at Rivercrest in Rochester.  Our ceremony will be outside and the reception inside.  The owner is great to work with. 
    For other ideas, check out the stickie at the top of the thread page (with the thumb tack).  Lots of locations are listed there.
  • we live in waterford, and my family will be coming from mostly north area and his family will be coming from detroit/taylor area, he picked rochester/troy because he said is was in the middle of both families. He is big on not wanting one family to feel more put out than the other. Though i keep telling him that someone is going to have something to complain about regardless of what we do to accomodate.

I wasn't sure how far was too far to ask people to go. I am willing to look anywhere else, i just didn't know what was "good" ettiquette distance.

I will also check out the thread you ladies spoke about . thanks

@MMRoberts11
    yeah we did look there, it is a nice place, but my step sister had her first wedding/reception there and my fiance thinks that would be good. He feels like we would be coping her.. AUGH!

Future Mrs.Hensley Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Gina - welcome to the board!

I don't really have any advice on places, but I wanted to say I think you're doing great by trying to find middle ground. However, if you absolutely can't find something you love/can afford in the Rochester/Troy area, I wouldn't get totally hung up on one family having to travel a little further. As long as you're not trying to do it 5 hours away, everything in SE Michigan is within an hour drive and frankly, is doable. You can get a hotel block if you feel like people won't want to drive so far home afterward. Or, they can just suck it up and drive. For something like a wedding, I'm willing to travel and hopefully your families would be too.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Try Canterbury Castle in Lake Orion - not TOO far from Rochester/Troy. It was pretty affordable and they're willing to work with you.
  • If I have learned one thing wedding planning so far, it is to be flexible. I think Rochester/Troy is not an ideal place to have a weddng if you are on a smaller budget. If you are dead set on having your wedding in that area, I would consider a Friday night or an off season wedding. My only suggestion to look out there is Petrazellos. I went to a wedding there in the fall, and it seemed like it would be affordable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • http://www.golfthemyth.com/banquet-hall/weddings.html

They are in Oakland, just north of Rochester. They have a special, $42pp including bar, but they require 150 people minimum on a Saturday, plus there's a $750 room fee.

Indian Springs Metropark in White Lake uses Kosch catering. If you got their bronze package with just beer and wine, it would be about $40pp, but that only includes "disposable tableware" and you'd have to pay $900 to rent the building

Neither of these are near a freeway or a major hotel, which could be a problem for your out-of-town guests.

Cake! - June 2013
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Try looking at Oak Management..they control a few different golf courses in the area and will work with you on price, especially if you are willing to get married on a Friday.  Most of them have outside venues for the ceremony with reception inside, and offer a variety of different food options.

http://www.oakmanagement.com/
  • Troy is a little expensive, but Somerset Inn has very reasonable prices, Zuccaro's-Clinton township is very nice and also is Villa Penna's in clinton township. I wouldnt go to vintage house. For 150 people It would have costed me 7800 with open bar. Royality house is ok, but they have very ugly floors and that sliding board that seperates rooms is very tacky. I have been looking around myself and I havent found anything cheaper then Zuccaros and Tinas (new balitmore) If its a little far from you...its worth the drive!!! Its gorgeous at Tinas!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_weddingreception-location?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:f7d777ed-5417-4110-bd11-3bd30aea8222Post:171cac91-a141-428f-9f0c-50da99c409c5">Re: Wedding/reception location..</a>:

We too live in Waterford and my family is in Taylor/Dearborn/Garden City/Livonia, while his is Lake Orion/Clarkston/Oxford so we were hoping for a middle ground location as well! We also really want to keep it around $30/person INCLUDING drinks if we can - and yes Friday night is an option. Also it will be off-season as we are looking to do a February wedding. So far the most reasonably priced venues I have found are Pi Banquet Hall in Southfield and St. Mary's in Livonia. Though I dont know that they do ceremonies at either...Good luck in your findings and please keep me updated on how it all goes, as I am in the same boat as well!

[QUOTE]we live in waterford, and my family will be coming from mostly north area and his family will be coming from detroit/taylor area, he picked rochester/troy because he said is was in the middle of both families. He is big on not wanting one family to feel more put out than the other. Though i keep telling him that someone is going to have something to complain about regardless of what we do to accomodate. I wasn't sure how far was too far to ask people to go. I am willing to look anywhere else, i just didn't know what was "good" ettiquette distance. I will also check out the thread you ladies spoke about . thanks @MMRoberts11 yeah we did look there, it is a nice place, but my step sister had her first wedding/reception there and my fiance thinks that would be good. He feels like we would be coping her.. AUGH!
    Posted by ginagirl9[/QUOTE]
    Lindsey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards