Michigan-Detroit
Options

Just a vent/disaster at our venue

I am so bummed today ladies. I got a letter from our venue thanking us for wanting to book our celebration there, but asking us to come in and put a deposit down on the hall in order for them to continue saving our date. Also, the letter was addressed to my last name, but with a different first name?

I had already had several meetings with the manager on site, and had signed a contract and put the required 20% deposit down.  I called to tell them that, but was told that the person who handled that was not in, and asked to leave a message. My fiance' happened to be off today and said he wanted to go down there, so we did.

I had my copies of the contract, and the deposit which we took with us.

Turns out the manager we worked with changed names on our contract, whited out our deposit amounts, and took off with the money and money from many others. They haven't heard from her in over a month. In addition, we negotiated pricing with her, and details of our reception, including kids meals, special decor, serving drinks to our guests upon arrival at ceremony, and adding items to our food and drink menu. Even the time duration of our reception, and set up time beforehand. They are cutting our time frame and only giving us the two hours before ceremony to set up, which is when we have first look and bridal party pics scheduled. They won't allow us any other time to set up and decorate.

We found out today that basically everything she told us was untrue, and the venue won't honor anything she told or promised us. She wrote these things on a separate piece of paper, so they weren't actually a part of our contract, and they won't honor them. So now I have to pay full plate price for everyone, even kids under 5, along with not being able to have things I planned on. I thought everything was set, and we planned our day accordingly.

We are now looking at spending an additional 700-2000 dollars accordingly, based on actual count and extra fees that we were not told about.  And I have to figure out how to get the hall set up and decorated. We have done a lot of DIY to save money. I know that my wedding isn't until next year, but I'm a planner, and like to have some sense of how things are going to be.

Just threw us off, and upset me a bit.  I don't know where the extra money will come from, or how we will manage to get the hall done.  Just sad that someone who seemed so nice took such advantage.

And this, just a few months after my gown was ruined in a fire. Sigh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Just a vent/disaster at our venue

• Options
    That is super messed up. I'm sorry you dealt with such a shady POS.

Honestly, I'd be veryyyy hesitant to continue working with a venue that had someone so craptastic working for them.  So here are your options:

-continue working with them. Deal with the "little" issues as opposed to "big" issues: like potentially finding an entirely new venue. I know that $700-$2000 is a lot of money, and I hate to say it this way but really in the bridal world it's not a ton (bc everything is super expensive) and at this point just biting the bullet might be better than trying to find some place new.

-Find some place else, with a good reputation. I'm very curious which venue you are working with, if you care to share, please do. Like I said, I'd probably go this route on priniple but I'm stubborn and would be pissed as hell if I were you. I don't know how much you love this place.

-I don't know anything about the law but you might want to see if there's anything that can be done here.

Again, I'm really sorry. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help you out.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options

OMG this is crazy! I have to agree, I would look at possible other venues that will work with you. If you need some suggestions please let me know. While I am a bride next year I also work in the industry and would be more then happy to help you in anyway I can. This is messed up! I have been working with brides that were promised one thing and the person is not there and to keep the biz you work with them and honor what you can and make it as easy for them on the items you can not by discounts. This is complete BS if you ask me. Please let me know if I can be of any help!

• Options
    They are honoring our deposit. No issue there, I had a valid receipt, but we were told that we could offer drinks to our guests, upon arrival.....that children 5 and under ate free, that children 10 and under were half price, that they would allow an extra 30 minutes to our reception time, and that we could come in either late night before, or really early the day of to set up. We were also told we could provide more of a selection at the bar (our reception is non-alcoholic), and they only offer tea, coffee, coke, sprite and diet coke. That our vendor meals were complimentary, and also got approval for decor that we have already purchased, which they are now not allowing us to use. I guess the manager that worked with us had her plan, and didn't worry about what she offered/promised us because she knew she wouldn't be there when we found out. I think it's ridiculous to pay $55.00 per person for a three year old. But like I said, they won't honor her promises, and I spent a lot of time hashing out details with her. I am quite upset, and not sure what we are going to do....the new manager is checking into a few things and going to call me with details after she checks with management. This has more to do with new issues, and not the ones she says they won't budge on. Also, they have told us that they will shut down drink service one hour before our reception ends. It bothers me that we can't have a drink for the last hour, and that was something we were not told before. All in all, there is a bit of added expense for us, and shortened time, and now we are worried about the timeframe the day of......we have the day planned out for pictures, etc. We may have to hire someone to do the setting up, and that is an extra expense we really can't afford. When you have a budget, and you are trying to stay within it, it is difficult when things are added you aren't counting on. I know things happen, but this is not a random thing.
    Thanks to all of you who responded. The support means a lot right now
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That is messed up and I am sorry you have to deal with that.

You said that it happened to more couples. Do you know how badly they got screwed as well?

What bothers me the most is the lack of understanding from the venue. It isn't like you called and spoke to some random person who was scamming you. You spoke with and met someone who was employed by them, who was in charge of booking people. So it shouldn't be your fault that they screwed up, ya know.
  • Options
    Goodness Gracious! My mouth fell open when I read your story.  It's like a wedding nightmare.  But there seems to be a silver lining with the new manager still working with you and checking into a few things.  You know what they say about when it seems too good to be true.  That other idiot was selling you some snake oil and that is horrible.  You seem to have a good head on your shoulders though.  And it doesn't seem like everything is set in stone so see if you can't use what happened to you to negotiate as much as you can.  Hopefully they will sympathize if you tell them about how tight your budget is.  I wonder what the Defenders on Channel 4 would say about it? He he.  I'm not saying call them right now.  But it's always good to consider all your options and this seems tailor made for TV.
  • Options
    This sounds like a real mess and I'm sorry you are going through it.

Most businesses have fiduciary insurance, so they should file a claim with their insurance agent/broker for reimbursement of the funds she embezzled. But that doesn't sound like the main problem.

Depending on how much money you can sock away before the wedding, you have plenty of time to change your guest list. It may be more difficult if you've sent out save the dates, but still, you can adjust the overall costs of the food that way. Unless they are really close family, could the kids be excluded? Could you see if you could reasonably exclude some "plus ones" for single people? A lot of caterers put together boxed meals for vendors that are smaller and less elaborate than the full meal afforded to guests. You could inquire into that.

You will need a "day of coordinator" (DOC) to get things done before the wedding. At our venue we could only have access for 2 hrs before the reception. I hired Shelley from Simplicity and would HIGHLY recommend them. I had a lot of DIY, and she set up napkins with menus, centerpieces, table signs, stuff for the gift & cake tables, PLUS items in the chapel. Due to your issues they may work with you and charge you less, if you simply want someone there to set up your DIY items and remove/take down afterward. They plan on a long 8 hr day with the contract, perhaps you can reduce that time and not involve them much before the wedding, simply on the day of the wedding. It was the best money I spent, and I know other brides feel that way about their DOC's as well. I'm convinced you could find someone between $350 and $500. While you are already facing higher costs, this one is for your peace of mind and would help.  

Also, family members can be very understanding. Not sure how much financial assistance you have received from both sets of parents, but if they can each pitch in money, even if it is a loan that you repay from your wedding gifts of money, that might help as well.

I also think it might be beneficial to let the venue know you post often on the Knot, read by other brides in the area who may or may not use them based on your reviews. Word of mouth goes a very long way at times in forcing vendors to honor promises, even if they were made by someone who ripped them off.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I am so sorry this happened to you!  You still have a lot of time, so if I were you, I would definitely try to find another venue.  The fact that they acknowledged that the lady took your money and ran, yet they won't honor what she told you, is absolutely unacceptable.  I don't know if you would have any legs to stand on legally, so I don't think that would work.  Good luck to you, I know you will figure it out and have a wonderful wedding.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you decide to go somewhere else, I'd ask for my deposit back based on the fact that their representative explained to you the way things are done, and that's how you based your decision. If they refuse, I'd go to the news media, Ruth to the Rescue or something. They probably don't have to reimburse you legally, but they might be willing to do it to save face.

Cake! - June 2013
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

One more thing...I'm definitely no lawyer, but as another thing to keep in your back pocket you might want to consult with one over whether or not you have a case because even though the lady wrote the other things on a separate piece of paper, she was representing the venue at the time so they may still be legally tied to honor what she promised you since she was their employee and things were agreed to on their premises.  Again, someone well versed in contract law could tell you if that is the case or not.

• Options
    I say this as well. Im so sorry :( :( In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_just-a-ventdisaster-at-our-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:fa5e4a92-c0b1-4ae5-9932-6d82bd25ff22Post:e221aaeb-f04e-47a3-b36b-429e016863ea">Re: Just a vent/disaster at our venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]One more thing...I'm definitely no lawyer, but as another thing to keep in your back pocket you might want to consult with one over whether or not you have a case because even though the lady wrote the other things on a separate piece of paper, she was representing the venue at the time so they may still be legally tied to honor what she promised you since she was their employee and things were agreed to on their premises.  Again, someone well versed in contract law could tell you if that is the case or not.
    Posted by zantster[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    What city is this venue located? Please share!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    You should definitely take them to court.  Sounds like you are good about planning and record keeping.  Perhaps to save moolah on an attorney you should just call a local television station - problem solvers - ruth to the rescue - that sort of thing.  Put them on the spot the way they have to you.  They might also be more proactive in hunting down the actual INDIVIDUAL who is responsible for this that is apparently missing.  A smiple police report couldn't hurt.  You think you don't have time for this kind of process....but it's worth it.  No one screws with a bride during her engagement.  NO ONE.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_just-a-ventdisaster-at-our-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:fa5e4a92-c0b1-4ae5-9932-6d82bd25ff22Post:f41ebc61-bca5-48cf-b64b-7fba9f69c5a4">Re: Just a vent/disaster at our venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]What city is this venue located? Please share!
    Posted by drandreasalazar[/QUOTE]

Yes please- the manager was the one in the wrong but it sounds like the venue should be more sympathetic to its clients, it isn't your fault she was shady!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards