New York-Hudson Valley
Options

First day of Dress Shopping - Bridal Shop Review (Westchester Based Stores)

So today was my first day of actually dress shopping. We just stayed local and went to two dress shops in Westchester. My mom, MOH (Matron of Honor) and one of my BM's came along.

First Store:
Fontana Bridal - Scarsdale, NY

We walked into Fontana and they were having a Stephen Yearick trunk show but since we were 30mins early I went downstairs with my friends and mom and had them try on two of my final choices for BM dresses (and I think we actually decided on one!!)

When it was finally my turn to try on dresses, the consultant (who was an absolute doll) actually came and walked around the store with us, pulled dresses and told us to pull anything I wanted to try on. I thought it was nice that I was actually able to pull specific dresses I wanted (without the consultant disappearing into the back room and coming out with dresses I never saw before).

My appointment lasted for about an hour and a half and I tried on about 10 dresses. I didn't feel rushed or pushed at all and specifically told them that it was my first time dress shopping and it was unlikely that I would purchase anything today. This didn't change the service I received at all. 

I actually found a dress I really like but don't want to buy anything before I go to my other appointments which are scheduled in the city for later this month and beg. of Sept).

Onto Dress Shop 2...
House of Botticelli - Bronxville, NY

I have to say that I was honestly disappointed by the selection (or should I say lack of selection this shop had). The people were very nice but I felt like they were pushing me into trying on things I wasn't even interested in trying on. I know that some things look better on you than on the hanger but if I don't like the applique or material of the dress, then that isn't going to change when I try it on. We were in and out of the store in 45mins. 

I had a lot of fun today and can't wait for my city appointments in the next couple of weeks! It's all starting to feel so real!
September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: First day of Dress Shopping - Bridal Shop Review (Westchester Based Stores)

• Options
    jamiefourjamiefour member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am glad you had a good time!  Dress shopping can be fun.   I have bought a dress for a wedding I was in at Fontana's and they were wonderful.  Even if you don't get your dress there, I would recommend them for BM dresses.  Where are you going in the city for dresses?  I got mine from Kleinfelds and had an amazing experience.  Good Luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LissyM83LissyM83 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jamie - OMG Congrats on your wedding.

I'm friends with your sister T.

Going to Kleinfelds, Bergdorf Goodman, Saks & Pronovias 

- Melissa
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jamiefourjamiefour member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_first-day-of-dress-shopping-bridal-shop-review-westchester-based-stores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:12ebbc2a-c35e-4bae-a516-56a9a618e3f1Post:20ecae2c-0109-4749-b84c-5e27c158c096">Re: First day of Dress Shopping - Bridal Shop Review (Westchester Based Stores)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jamie - OMG Congrats on your wedding. I'm friends with your sister T. Going to Kleinfelds, Bergdorf Goodman, Saks & Pronovias  - Melissa
    Posted by LissyM83[/QUOTE]
    LOL, that is funny! and thanks. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    rachael7183rachael7183 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Funny, because you had a similiar experience as I did.  I went to Botticelli first - - at the time when I went it was just to "look around" and I didnt have a set date.  They put me in the tiniest room to try dresses on.  The owner of the store said something to the woman helping me, telling her to put me in a normal room and the woman said "She's not going to buy anything, she doesnt even have a date yet".  When I tried on dresses she didnt even clip them, so I could not even get a feel for the way they were.

When I went to Fontana immediately afterwards, they were so welcoming, friendly and helpful.  The assistant actually brought in a dress that I would have never thought to pick off the rack, and it turned out to be the ONE, the one I ordered on the day I just went to "take a look around".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MidgetteMidgette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lovedddddddddddddd my experience at Fontanta's!

I worked with Brenda - she was awesome!!! 

Have fun shopping - 
    My first dress in Fontanta was "the one" I went back after a few other appts and ordered it

• Options
    LissyM83LissyM83 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_first-day-of-dress-shopping-bridal-shop-review-westchester-based-stores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:12ebbc2a-c35e-4bae-a516-56a9a618e3f1Post:0dc82c17-25dd-43ad-8f85-763d9a8a3e1d">Re: First day of Dress Shopping - Bridal Shop Review (Westchester Based Stores)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Funny, because you had a similiar experience as I did.  I went to Botticelli first - - at the time when I went it was just to "look around" and I didnt have a set date.  They put me in the tiniest room to try dresses on.  The owner of the store said something to the woman helping me, telling her to put me in a normal room and the woman said "She's not going to buy anything, she doesnt even have a date yet".  When I tried on dresses she didnt even clip them, so I could not even get a feel for the way they were. When I went to Fontana immediately afterwards, they were so welcoming, friendly and helpful.  The assistant actually brought in a dress that I would have never thought to pick off the rack, and it turned out to be the ONE, the one I ordered on the day I just went to "take a look around".
    Posted by rachael7183[/QUOTE]

I was extremely disappointed with the selection of dresses Botticelli had. As soon as I walked in, my mom, friends and I looked at eachother because we knew we wouldn't find anything remotely close to what Fontana had.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LissyM83LissyM83 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_first-day-of-dress-shopping-bridal-shop-review-westchester-based-stores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:12ebbc2a-c35e-4bae-a516-56a9a618e3f1Post:85109ea2-9f12-4440-a1b4-bb9ceaae25f6">Re: First day of Dress Shopping - Bridal Shop Review (Westchester Based Stores)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lovedddddddddddddd my experience at Fontanta's! I worked with Brenda - she was awesome!!!  Have fun shopping -  My first dress in Fontanta was "the one" I went back after a few other appts and ordered it
    Posted by Midgette[/QUOTE]

I worked with Marie who was an absolute doll. I just want to look around a little more just to make sure the dress I liked there really is the one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    rachael7183rachael7183 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The dress selection was terrible - - and they advertise that they  had Pronovias, and when I went - - there was one dress by them.  Oh well, they didnt get my $$ lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LissyM83LissyM83 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_first-day-of-dress-shopping-bridal-shop-review-westchester-based-stores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:12ebbc2a-c35e-4bae-a516-56a9a618e3f1Post:31d1f9d4-11f3-4c66-b532-5266ba4be234">Re: First day of Dress Shopping - Bridal Shop Review (Westchester Based Stores)</a>:
    [QUOTE]The dress selection was terrible - - and they advertise that they  had Pronovias, and when I went - - there was one dress by them.  Oh well, they didnt get my $$ lol
    Posted by rachael7183[/QUOTE]

<div>Yup and Vera Wang, Kenneth Pool, etc. I had asked them about BM dresses and it was like they weren't even willing to work with me since it seemed like I wasn't purchasing a dress there. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    PaoPao820PaoPao820 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay!  Now I don't feel so bad taht I'm already making appts to the bridal salons!  We're getting married in the same month and I thouight I was crazy to start! 

I'm having my first appt on my birthday in a week and a half to Saks Fifth Ave... they're gowns are WAY out of my price range for a dress BUT they have a massive blowout in December sooooo in case you wanted an oscar de la renta or a vera wang, look into it.  I  heard someone got a $7000 dress for around $1000!!  You can't beat that.  ALSO, idk which salons you're looking into but check out RK Bridal in the city too.  They have amazing prices and if you find the gown for less that you want somewhere else, they'll match the price and take 5% off the top!

Good luck and let me know how it goes!!

Paola
    -Paola- Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LissyM83LissyM83 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_first-day-of-dress-shopping-bridal-shop-review-westchester-based-stores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:12ebbc2a-c35e-4bae-a516-56a9a618e3f1Post:f0cc25e9-0aa3-427d-a110-b119518a08dd">Re: First day of Dress Shopping - Bridal Shop Review (Westchester Based Stores)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yay!  Now I don't feel so bad taht I'm already making appts to the bridal salons!  We're getting married in the same month and I thouight I was crazy to start!  I'm having my first appt on my birthday in a week and a half to Saks Fifth Ave... they're gowns are WAY out of my price range for a dress BUT they have a massive blowout in December sooooo in case you wanted an oscar de la renta or a vera wang, look into it.  I  heard someone got a $7000 dress for around $1000!!  You can't beat that.  ALSO, idk which salons you're looking into but check out RK Bridal in the city too.  They have amazing prices and if you find the gown for less that you want somewhere else, they'll match the price and take 5% off the top! Good luck and let me know how it goes!! Paola
    Posted by PaoPao820[/QUOTE]

Really? My mom told me that I should start looking around now and I thought she was being crazy lol.

I have appointments at Saks, Bergdorf Goodman & Pronovia's on Aug 27th and Kleinfeld's on Sept 10th. I'll hopefully have a dress soon after my Kleinfeld's appointment. Thanks for the heads up re.: Saks' Blowout Sale - I don't really have any particular designer in mind (just whatever looks good on me) but that's def. something to look into. I'll look into RK Bridal as well. I also heard good things about Bridal Reflections in the city too. Good luck to you as well and let me know about your experience at Saks. I'll def. post a review once I visit these other boutiques.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    PaoPao820PaoPao820 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_first-day-of-dress-shopping-bridal-shop-review-westchester-based-stores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:12ebbc2a-c35e-4bae-a516-56a9a618e3f1Post:711eb138-ee41-44de-aa29-0b8bdb873e09">Re: First day of Dress Shopping - Bridal Shop Review (Westchester Based Stores)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: First day of Dress Shopping - Bridal Shop Review (Westchester Based Stores) : Really? My mom told me that I should start looking around now and I thought she was being crazy lol. I have appointments at Saks, Bergdorf Goodman & Pronovia's on Aug 27th and Kleinfeld's on Sept 10th. I'll hopefully have a dress soon after my Kleinfeld's appointment. Thanks for the heads up re.: Saks' Blowout Sale - I don't really have any particular designer in mind (just whatever looks good on me) but that's def. something to look into. I'll look into RK Bridal as well. I also heard good things about Bridal Reflections in the city too. Good luck to you as well and let me know about your experience at Saks. I'll def. post a review once I visit these other boutiques.
    Posted by LissyM83[/QUOTE]

I deifnitely will!  So far I have an appointment to Saks as mentioned on the 20th and to Bridal Reflections and Kleinfelds on Sept 18th so I can definitely let you know about that one.  I don't know if I want to go to Pronovias because they're so specific so I'm still debating about that one.  We'll see how things go but towards the end of September I'll also go to RK Bridal.  They don't make appts unfortuantely so you need to go and wait for a room and attendant.  Idk why they do it that way but I have a feeling they're more lax.  I might go there randomly during the week one day.  I'll keep you updated and I hope to hear more about your search.

I had a friend who got married last year and when I told her I was looking at dresses now she thought I was insane because of the new lines coming out for the fall and for spring.  She told me to wait at least another 3 months!  Idk,  I figure if I have time now, why not do it now?!?

Good luck and congrats!!
    -Paola- Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LissyM83LissyM83 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_first-day-of-dress-shopping-bridal-shop-review-westchester-based-stores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:12ebbc2a-c35e-4bae-a516-56a9a618e3f1Post:6963aa91-afd4-481b-b133-1ddad791a578">Re: First day of Dress Shopping - Bridal Shop Review (Westchester Based Stores)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: First day of Dress Shopping - Bridal Shop Review (Westchester Based Stores) : I deifnitely will!  So far I have an appointment to Saks as mentioned on the 20th and to Bridal Reflections and Kleinfelds on Sept 18th so I can definitely let you know about that one.  I don't know if I want to go to Pronovias because they're so specific so I'm still debating about that one.  We'll see how things go but towards the end of September I'll also go to RK Bridal.  They don't make appts unfortuantely so you need to go and wait for a room and attendant.  Idk why they do it that way but I have a feeling they're more lax.  I might go there randomly during the week one day.  I'll keep you updated and I hope to hear more about your search. I had a friend who got married last year and when I told her I was looking at dresses now she thought I was insane because of the new lines coming out for the fall and for spring.  She told me to wait at least another 3 months!  Idk,  I figure if I have time now, why not do it now?!? Good luck and congrats!!
    Posted by PaoPao820[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We're missing eachother at Kleinfeld's and Saks by a weekend lol. My mom wants me to check out Pronovias so I'm basically going to make her happy lol. RK Bridal is def. more of a no frills type of place - my advise is BE THERE WHEN THEY OPEN. My friend got her BM dresses there and it was a madhouse. If you haven't checked out Bridal Reflections, you should also add that one to the list. Definitely keep me updated as well and feel free to PM me if you have any questions! It doesn't hurt to start looking - it can take up to a year for a dress to come in depending on the designer (and others can take 6 months). Congrats and good luck to you too!

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

That is great that you had a good time. I spent lots of time searching my bridal gown, finally I ordered this bridal gown: www.weddingdressen.com/aline-strapless-chapel-train-satin-bridal-gown-p-244.html">http://www.weddingdressen.com/aline-strapless-chapel-train-satin-bridal-gown-p-244.html

That is really hard job to get everything organised.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards