New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Poughkeepsie Area

Hello Ladies,

Happy Monday! I wanted to know if anyone out there knew of a non-denominational church, or a chapel, in the Poughkeepsie Area. I am Catholic and my fiance was married once before in a Catholic church, now divorced. We know we have the option of doing an on-site ceremony, but we both kind of wanted to have a church wedding...any ideas, suggestions...any help would be great!  :-)

Re: Poughkeepsie Area

• Options
    edited December 2011
    One girl on here had a similiar situation and had her ceremony at the chapel at Marist college, so that's worth a look. Congrats and Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi.  I think I'm the person Terri&Joe is talking about. 

My husband and I are both catholic and since he is divorced could not get married in a catholic church.  I still wanted a church wedding.  I am a graduate of Marist and was able to use their chapel.   
    We had an awesome officiant (Rev. Engle).  We had as close to a catholic ceremony as your can get. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My husband is Lutheran and I am Catholic. We were married at Christ Episcopal Church in Poughkeepsie, and had a wonderful experience. They really worked with us on the ceremony, and FIL was able to co-officiate since he is a Lutheran minister. Also, the church is beautiful! I highly recommend it!

http://www.christchurchpok.org
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, you have to be Marist alumni to use the chapel. Hope you are able to find something I am not much help. We are doing a non-denominational ceremony outdoors.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are also chapels at Vassar, Boudin Park & the Culinary. 
    If you have a relative that is a Marist Alumni you can use the chapel also. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thank you so much for all of the information ladies, what a great help you all are.

ktwed09 - If you don't mind me asking, was there a fee or "donation" that you had to make to the church? This seems like it will be a good option for us, but just trying to figure out the costs...thanks so much!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_poughkeepsie-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:1994a2b3-acc8-4057-a356-64d9a55c7b11Post:bbf36b8e-a76f-4de9-934a-e7f840e9af98">Re: Poughkeepsie Area</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you so much for all of the information ladies, what a great help you all are. ktwed09 - If you don't mind me asking, was there a fee or "donation" that you had to make to the church? This seems like it will be a good option for us, but just trying to figure out the costs...thanks so much!
    Posted by kaf5277[/QUOTE]

Yes. I had to look back at my budget (it's amazing how quickly you forget this stuff!). I think we paid $650 for the church itself and the sexton (maintenance person who turns on lights, cleans up, etc...), and then made a donation to the church for the officiant's time. We gave $200, not sure if that was recommended, or if we came up with that on our own. Blake, the minister, was wonderful to work with!
  • Options
    KWats2011KWats2011 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ktwed, do you have pictures of your ceremony/the church that you could share? I am also interested in this church. Thanks!
    Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest my read shelf:
    Kristin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sure! Not sure if these will post big enough for you to really see it. If not, e-mail me at tandkwedding09@gmail.com, and I'll get them to you another way.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ah, PIP is not cooperating and they're too small to really see.
  • Options
    KWats2011KWats2011 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    no thanks- I can see the one pic- it looks beautiful. Thank you!
    Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest my read shelf:
    Kristin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    M2NM2N
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Check out Our Lady of the Rosary Chapel.  It's a beautiful Catholic church.  Check out this photographers website

http://www.hudsonriverphotographer.com/wordpress/?p=1048

Make sure you scroll down so you can see pics of the church outside too.  A lot of people don't seem to know about it but it's a little hidden but not even I believe a mile from Marist college if you know where that is.  The church seems to be very open minded considering they're letting my fiance and I get married the week before Easter which most churches don't allow.  Good Luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Poughkeepsie Reformed Church.  My FI is Catholic.  I'm a methodist.  They're marrying us. Very sweet Pastor.  The chuch is a gorgeous old church. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards