New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Next step - photographer!

Hello -

i know this is yet another question about photographer recommendations, and we're already meeting with ulysses this weekend. can anyone else recommend any others they liked / have used / are using? Our budget is around $5000 because we don't want videographer and want really really nice picturess.

Thank you!
Iris

Re: Next step - photographer!

• Options
    SandDDSandDD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We still haven't actually decided (we're just procrastinators) but really liked these three guys:

Jacob fron nodo photography: He was Jaimie's photog & he was such a great guy to meet with.  I was ready to book the day we met, but wanted to see other photogs first.
    http://nodophotography.com/

Chris Jorda - He's more popular in NJ, but he was willing to do our wedding (in Piermont) for no travel charge. He had gorgeous pics
    http://www.chrisjorda.com/

Jose Reyes -- We just saw him a week or two ago because a friend just used him. He is currently our front runner but I'm hesitating because the package I love is above the 4500 budget I set. He has bunch of price points, but I want the one closer to 5K which has everything & more! :)
    http://www.josereyesphotography.com/

All three came recommended from here or the NJ board. Good luck & let us know what you decide!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Jimi Ferrarra - his work is awesome, albums are amazing, and should be in your range

http://www.jamesferrara.com/
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ricky Restiano  - definitely within your range and I've yet to see another photographer with his eye.

rickyrestiano.com
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BellaSposa223BellaSposa223 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kenny Pang is a talented photographer and is a ray of sunshine.  Love him.

www.kennypangblog.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Christophers Studios.  His pictures are the best I have ever seen.

http://www.christophersstudio.net/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jamie or SandDD...  what's Nodo's prices (ball park ish)  if you don't mind me asking...

Also did anyone consider or look into students from NYU or FIT etc? 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Majestic Studios...loved Mark!  Lots of comments on the photos and so easy to work with
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I booked Steven Planck from Blue Sky Photography out of Wappingers Falls after a friend used him for her wedding.  I instantly fell in love with her pictures.  He does amazing work & has a great personality.

www.blueskyphotographyny.com
    Maggie & Lucas
    July 15, 2011
    Visit HudsonValley.Weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SandDDSandDD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Je--What's your email address? I have his price list I can send along!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    SandDD TY... JeFlanigan@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Another vote for Christopher Studios. We are using them.

Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_next-step-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:260ab4b4-abad-4759-85b2-02f5350d4b8ePost:4a95d4a1-e107-4e32-9405-4cff3abff61f">Re: Next step - photographer!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jamie or SandDD...  what's Nodo's prices (ball park ish)  if you don't mind me asking... <strong>Also did anyone consider or look into students from NYU or FIT etc?</strong> 
    Posted by JeFlanigan[/QUOTE]

No way. Trust me, you want an experienced photographer. I realize that they are all new to the business at some point, but it's definitely worth it to go with someone already comfortable shooting weddings.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lou and Leah Bedinotti from Bedinotti Photo.
    Absolutley wonderful people to work with, great photos and various packages to choose from.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I booked Bluesky Photography as well! His work is incredible!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_next-step-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:260ab4b4-abad-4759-85b2-02f5350d4b8ePost:2a07e3e9-e322-4c09-805b-1a17af5b3ce6">Re: Next step - photographer!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Next step - photographer! : No way. Trust me, you want an experienced photographer. I realize that they are all new to the business at some point, but it's definitely worth it to go with someone already comfortable shooting weddings.
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

I agree with this you do not want to skimp on a photographer,these are your memories from your wedding,you want someone who knows what they are doing to capture all of your special moments.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I do not recommend Rick Helman for photo or video. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jenni and Kristin, I hear your concerns... but we're also working on a major budget.  I want our pictures to be spectacular... but I can not spend 5000 on them either.  Students seemed to me to be a cheaper way of exploring the field. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_next-step-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:260ab4b4-abad-4759-85b2-02f5350d4b8ePost:51ef2d35-7520-4468-9a85-775e84bad8d7">Re: Next step - photographer!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do not recommend Rick Helman for photo or video. 
    Posted by caketime[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind sharing - how come? I've only seen his website, but his photos look gorgeous.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_next-step-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:260ab4b4-abad-4759-85b2-02f5350d4b8ePost:19d9e229-6a65-4f05-81b9-707557dd7bf0">Re: Next step - photographer!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jenni and Kristin, I hear your concerns... but we're also working on a major budget.  I want our pictures to be spectacular... but I can not spend 5000 on them either.  Students seemed to me to be a cheaper way of exploring the field. 
    Posted by JeFlanigan[/QUOTE]

Oh I get budget! We didn't spend 5k, we were a little over 3. We didn't get any albums, only all the photos on dvd and all photos as 4x6 proofs, but it was the best 3k I spent.

We had originally met with a much more inexperienced photographer. She wasn't that much cheaper, and her work is nowhere close to what we got.

If you need a more budget friendly photographer, definitely check out Nick Carter. I love his photos!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    On the using a student thing - I had a friend go this route to try and save money and the person backed out on her last minute - it was awful. The person said they didn't feel 'ready' and it's not like they have a reputation yet that might get ruined or an image to uphold yet - just flat out backed out. Coming to TK to say "dont use this person" doesnt mean much either when they aren't a ''real' photog yet. Just a concern
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't read all the responses, but I also used Chris Jorda and love, love, love the pics I've seen so far.

Take a peek at my slideshow =)

www.chrisjorda.com
    Client access
    password: Sean (case senstive)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Cathy Pinsky - we loved her when we met her and loved her work.  Our videographer highly recommended her.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We are using Lori O'toole. Her pictures are beautiful and she's awesome. I know many people that have used her and were very happy with her services.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_next-step-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:260ab4b4-abad-4759-85b2-02f5350d4b8ePost:4ccda752-6fd4-4d33-a43c-8d4cb15fbc22">Re: Next step - photographer!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Next step - photographer! : If you don't mind sharing - how come? I've only seen his website, but his photos look gorgeous.
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

Well it's a 50/50 thing.  Some of his photos are great, and really do love, but afterwards I was highly dissapointed with the end product and the communication.  The grooms photos were non-existent, not as if there were only 10 of just the groom but actually none - ZERO.  He left early and missed a hunk of the reception.  They also only took what they wanted because "they knew what they needed" but personally I was paying him to capture everything so again a lot is missing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for all the advice girls !
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    JeFlanigan- I am also on a major budget photography wise, the two I've found Cyndi Starr photographybycynthia.com, and Alex Kaplan.  I am using Cyndi because she did my  mom's wedding and she and I get along really great!  But Alex Kaplan seems to have great reviews and if you tell him what you are looking for and a budget he will whip something up for you.
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge:Favorite Snack
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another vote here for Majestic Studios!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards