New York-Hudson Valley

Dressmakers? Seamstresses? Customized dresses?

I really love the Desiree dress by Christos but its WAY over my $1000 budget (I might be able to stretch a little but it's still too much).  I also found a similar dress, Austin by Watters & Watters, while I was trying some on, but it too it over-budget.  It is similar and I like most of it as well, except for the folds in the skirt.  So I basically want to combine the two: Have the Desiree shape/style in the Austin fabric (silk organza) and preferably with a corset back.  I know nothing about the making of dresses, so I'm just not sure if this customization is even possible or where to have it done.  Does anyone know of local dressmakers, etc. that might be able to help me out within a reasonable price range?  OR do you know of any other dresses out there that have this look that I might have just not stumbled across yet?  Thanks!

Re: Dressmakers? Seamstresses? Customized dresses?

• edited December 2011
    Hi! Congrats on your engagement and welcome to the Hudson Valley board!

Those are both very pretty dresses!

Couple of things -

1. Tweak your budget to see if you can find room for the dress you love.

2. Look for a more affordable dress!

3. Re - the dressmaker. IF you decide to go this route, allow yourself plenty of time so that if the dress doesn't turn out the way you want, you can still buy a dress. (I know someone that had to do this)

---

When I was looking i asked on the dress board for some affordable  designers besides Davids and Alfred Angelo. I got so many suggestions and found my dress because of one of them. I wanted to spend no more than $1200.

anyway - Affordable designers  (although, not necessarily every dress will be in that range. But they have quite a few)

David's Bridal
    Camille la Vie / Group USA

Alfred Angelo
    Allure
    Casablanca (might have some in $1000 range, def. $1200)
    DaVinci
    Eden Bridals
    Ella Rose
    Forever Yours
    Jordan
    Mary's Bridal
    Maggie Sottero
    Mori Lee
    Sincerity

I'm sure there's others, but these I remember. There's lots out there! Have fun shopping!
  • edited December 2011
    I seen a dress on Davids Bridal that reminds me of that one. Have you seen it? Check it out. It might look different but maybe the seamstress can change out their bow for a flower?

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_VW351007-VW351007_Bridal-Gowns-Features-All-Gowns

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Shantung-Taffeta-Sweetheart-Ball-Gown-T3039_Bridal-Gowns-Features-All-Gowns
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • eamcardleeamcardle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am from Westchester, but live in New Orleans and got married down here. So I normally visit the local board. But I noticed your post and wanted to recommend a very, very amazing dress maker in CT. $1000 might be a bit modest for him, but he's willing to work with you. Also keep in mind his price is the final price - no alterations because the dress is made only for you.

The dressmaker is Tony at Exclusive Bridal Shoppe, 470 West Putnam Ave., Greenwich, CT 06830. (203) 869-6515.

I had a really great, stress-free experience with him. And I loved, loved my dress. My mom had her dress made there, too.

Bring in these photos, and see what he can do in your budget.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards