New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Rehearsal dinner

How far in advance did you guys book your rehearsal dinner?  What did you do?  Dinner at a restaurant or did you just do a backyard bbq type thing?  TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker imageVisit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Re: Rehearsal dinner

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing dinner for about thirty people at an Italian restaurant.  we actually booked it about a month ago, but only because we had a little extra money and wanted to put down the deposit.  Our wedding is in November. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    smatuzasmatuza member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we booked ours about a month and a half ago, my FI's family tradition is that all aunts and uncles and cousins come to the rehearsal dinner so I have 60 people at my rehearsal dinner.  it's at the catering section of the hotel we're using.
    Anniversary
    my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We book ours about 5 or 6 months out. We're using the banquet room at the hotel we have our room block with. We're working on finalizing everything now, but wanted to ensure we had the room at least booked.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we originally were going to do a restaurant but it got to be too much for me and we couldn't find one that would fit our price range/too low a number
    We ended up having it at my parent's house and had it catered and it worked out wonderfully!
    We had about 30
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    44lobster44lobster member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a restaurant and I'm booking it this week for a November wedding.  Due to complications with certain divorced parents, we needed a neutral place to host the dinner...parents' house was not an option
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My FI and I love diners and we are having it at the local diner in White Plains.  There are about 30 people coming family and out of town guests.  I didn't really have to "book" per se, but did call and let them know we would have 30 people.  It was just too expensive to do another catered affair the day before! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We rented a private room upstairs at a restaurant we had to book about 6 months in advance just bc the room always books up fast.
  • Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We booked the upstairs room at a restaurant. I think we booked in September for our November wedding, then finalized the menu a few weeks before.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Literally, like a week and a half before. BUT, we ended up only having pizza. We had 15 people. I needed to reserve the back area of a restaurant. But since we weren't setting up a special menu, I couldn't reserve the area earlier. It was a gamble, but I had been in talks with them throughout the planning - but didn't have the money to reserve the room. Originally, we wanted a dinner in their party room.  And as the people that were coming got lower, and since we were paying for it ourselves, we just figured pizza was the way to go. We got the area that we wanted, and had a great time.

Depending on when to book will depend on where  you want to go. I knew I wanted a  particular place, but since we didn't know what were doing until late, I couldn't put down a deposit. Had we done the special party menu it would have been over $700. Going out to dinner and ordering off the menu was looking like $450. Pizza, including tax and tip, cost us less than $250.

And we had a really nice time.
  • Options
    SueR13SueR13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want to have ours at my favorite local pizzeria... but ours isn't hosted. We simply can't afford it. And I'm not sure people would be willing to drive that far anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 112 Invited image 80 Joining the fun
    image 30 Missing out image 2 are total flakes
    RSVP Date 07/20/10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having ours in our backyard - a BBQ!  Last I counted there'll be about 30 people. 
  • Options
    Meliss5178Meliss5178 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had ours at a restaurant that was within walking distance of the hotel we had our block set up at. Since all of my DH's family was from out of state I wanted to make everything easy on them.

We booked I think 4 months out? I forget exactly. I just wanted to get it out of the way.
  • Options
    mockninemocknine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a lot of people for the rehearsal so we booked the meeting room at one of the hotels we had a room block at and then had the food catered.  Lucky for me my family is in the catering business so I got everything at cost.  It was a really inexpensive way to host a dinner for so many people.  

I believe that I reserved the meeting room about 8 months in advance maybe.  I only had to reserve it with a cc so I figured if I found something else I could cancel but at least I had something lined up!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having the dinner at Shadows  in Poughkeepsie.   our rehearsal is on a thursday so dinner for about 20 of us  How far in advance do you think we need to book??  Th erehearsal is Nov 10th, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards