New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Venues in Poughkeepsie Area

Hi all,

I'm new to the boards - just started planning my wedding for Fall 2011 (thinking somewhere around the first weekend in October).  My name is Kate and my fiance's name is Adam. 

We live in Philadelphia but I'm from Poughkeepsie and went to college in New Paltz.

I'm looking at locations in a couple of weeks.  Right now I am planning on looking at Mohonk Mountain House, the Grandview, and the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel.  Mohonk was my first thought and I sort of have my heart set on it already, but I'd like to give the other options a fair chance. 

Any experience with those venues, or other ones in the area that I should consider?

Thanks and I look forward to some good discussions!

Kate
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Venues in Poughkeepsie Area

• Options
    timelady77timelady77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mohonk's food isn't so good for the prices you'll be paying. But of course the views and photos you'll be able to get might make up for that.

We didn't look at the Grandview. But we did love the Pok Grand Hotel. It's gorgeous inside, their prices are fabulous and the amount you get for the price is great. Michelle is wonderful to work with too.
  • Options
    Woodsy62Woodsy62 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe Mohonk only lets you do daytime weddings.  They reception has to be over by 5pm. 
    Been to many weddings at the Grad and they do a amazing job. As does the Grandview from what I hear. 
  • Options
    Woodsy62Woodsy62 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    **Sorry for my typos! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my reception at the PK Grand and am working with Rachel. She has been great, and they do an incredible job. I've been to quite a few weddings there - their prices are great!
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used the Grandview and it was spectacular! We had a great experience working with the PK Grand hotel as well.
  • Options
    gnyzgrlgnyzgrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Le Chambord in Hopewell.  Prices are unbeatable, 4 star restaurant and Roy is so nice.  Booked our wedding when we went to view it.  It's worth looking at.  Don't go by pics on the website.  The ballroom was just renovated.  It's stunning. 
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might want to check out Dutchess Manor in Beacon as well....really nice views and I thought they were great...we did not have our wedding there but it was our second choice.

I did look at the Grandview and that is bautiful also...but it didn't fit into our budget (a high minimum on a Saturday night which we were not willing to budge on). 

and i agree with pp, Mohonk does have some restrictions on your wedding but it is absolutely gorgeous.  I know nothing of the food, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    probablykateprobablykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far!

Pok Grand Hotel seems really popular, but their prices are lower than the other places - which makes me wonder whether you get what you pay for a bit with that venue?  Thoughts?

I looked up reviews of Le Chambord and tripadvisor has 8 "excellent" ratings but 14 "terrible" ratings.  Seems like people either have the best time or the worst time there!  very polar. 

Dutchess Manor looks really nice - I may have to add that to the list to visit!

Keep 'em coming!  I'll be sure to add my thoughts after I visit the places and eventually decide!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Poughkeepsie Grand, The Grandview, their new venue at the Dutchess Golf and Country Club!

Christos and The Links are other Poughkeepsie are places you can check.

And Villa Borghese in Wappingers. And Dutchess Manor in Beacon. (and right down the road is Chalet on the Hudson in Cold Spring)

Have fun!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_venues-poughkeepsie-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:39d27570-efe9-4e97-abe2-2ca7ba0db1dfPost:fcec8909-493d-4799-aaaf-5d4854296e28">Re: Venues in Poughkeepsie Area</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far! Pok Grand Hotel seems really popular, but their prices are lower than the other places - which makes me wonder whether you get what you pay for a bit with that venue?  Thoughts? I looked up reviews of Le Chambord and tripadvisor has 8 "excellent" ratings but 14 "terrible" ratings.  Seems like people either have the best time or the worst time there!  very polar.  <strong>Dutchess Manor looks really nice - I may have to add that to the list to visit! </strong>Keep 'em coming!  I'll be sure to add my thoughts after I visit the places and eventually decide!
    Posted by probablykate[/QUOTE]

my friend got married there in march.  it was really nice. the views were amazing and it was just really pretty.  My husband was like why didn't we look here! LOL it just never came up in my search.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Photobucket image
  • Options
    Mrs.AllyHMrs.AllyH member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We were married at the Grandview 3 years ago and I still come back to toot their horn. They don't miss a detail- they are top notch and worth every penny. If I could do everything all over again, I'd book them in an instant. I wish I could get married all over again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_venues-poughkeepsie-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:39d27570-efe9-4e97-abe2-2ca7ba0db1dfPost:fcec8909-493d-4799-aaaf-5d4854296e28">Re: Venues in Poughkeepsie Area</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far! <strong>Pok Grand Hotel seems really popular, but their prices are lower than the other places - which makes me wonder whether you get what you pay for a bit with that venue?  Thoughts?</strong> I looked up reviews of Le Chambord and tripadvisor has 8 "excellent" ratings but 14 "terrible" ratings.  Seems like people either have the best time or the worst time there!  very polar.  Dutchess Manor looks really nice - I may have to add that to the list to visit! Keep 'em coming!  I'll be sure to add my thoughts after I visit the places and eventually decide!
    Posted by probablykate[/QUOTE]

You get what you pay for and more.  Their packages are amazing, the amount of food they give is unreal AND they will come around and offer seconds which I have never see anyone do at a wedding.    Their service is top notch.  You really can't  go wrong with them or their sister place Anthony's Pier Nine. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We having our wedding this weekend at Bykenhulle House B&B in Hopewell Junction. It's a real hidden gem! A historic mansion, gorgeous honeymoon suite, 6 acres of gardens for an outdoor ceremony & cocktail hour, modern open-air ballroom with high ceilings. And best of all if you rent out the entire B&B for your guests the entire venue is yours... there's no other parties, brides, etc...It is truly your day! I love it. Can't rave about the place enough and feel so lucky to have found it. I live 2 1/2 hours away--but when I saw this place online last year I knew it was for us!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Onteora Mountain House in Boiceville, NY (outside of Woodstock.)  If you love the views/setting of Mohonk but want something more private, check it out.  It is about an hour from Poughkeepsie.  My experience with them was fabulous.  I had zero complaints and was incredibly impressed by their above and beyond service.  And the guests could not get over the mountain views!
  • Options
    M2NM2N
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the PK Hotel in April and so far the experience has been amazing.  I'm working with Michelle and she is wonderful to work with.  I have friends that have been to weddings here and they said that everything from the food, service, and hotel rooms were wonderful.  To answer your question about why it's such an amazing deal it's because they renovated it a few years ago but they also own the Grandview right down the road which I believe is new.  Also, it's right on the Hudson River and it has great views.  The difference between the Hotel and the Grandview is definitely the price which is about 30 or so dollars more than the hotel and the view of the river.  You should definitely go and check them out because I couldn't believe that their deals were so reasonable either!  Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Getting married at the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel.  My only complaint is with the baker they use.  Your cake comes with the venue (which is nice) but the Poughkeepsie Grand is still kinda working out the details so they almost charged us twice for our "cake upgrade."  The hotel itself is gorgeous and the staff have been great (working with Rachel because my original wedding coordinator Tara is on maternity leave).  They are flexible. 

****Serious suggestion.... I'm getting married October 16th of this year and the hotel was filled up by other wedding's guests by June so many of my guests have to stay elsewhere (which isn't a huge deal... but if you're getting married in a hotel, your guests expect to stay there).  HAVE YOUR GUESTS BOOK REALLY EARLY!!!
  • Options
    besteebestee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We loved this place!  So many great places to take pictures and the people there seem lovely.  We have been to a food tasting and loved everything we ate.  Anything we should know? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    how was your wedding at the Bykennhulle house?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards