New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Tipping

Hi everyone.  My name is Alison and I am getting married at Glen Island Harbour CLub in New Rochelle, in Westchester in 5 DAYS!!!  I had a quick question about tipping.  I am paying a certain percentage to the matre'd who then splits it with everyone else, but I just wonder if I am supposed to tip the sales manager also.  You know the guy I originally met with for all the planning and booking?  Do you think he gets part of that percentage or should I tip him as well?

Any Glen Island Brides out there?  Or any others that may know the answer?  I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks so much and congrats to the newlyweds on here!!

Re: Tipping

• Options
    edited December 2011
    no they do not get a tip, they get a salary for their job.

good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I tipped the person we worked with when we booked with in addition to the maitre'd and bridal attendant.  She was there throughout our entire planning process and was there my entire wedding day. She was beyond helpful. If you want to tip, feel free; but, I don't think it is expected. 

You're just a couple of days away- how exciting!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for your help!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_tipping-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:41757a1e-7c44-4187-884e-d0910efd8631Post:1dc29087-48d8-40d8-b5ff-305a7cba9135">Tipping</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone.  My name is Alison and I am getting married at Glen Island Harbour CLub in New Rochelle, in Westchester in 5 DAYS!!!  I had a quick question about tipping.  <strong>I am paying a certain percentage to the matre'd who then splits it with everyone else</strong>, but I just wonder if I am supposed to tip the sales manager also.  You know the guy I originally met with for all the planning and booking?  Do you think he gets part of that percentage or should I tip him as well? Any Glen Island Brides out there?  Or any others that may know the answer?  I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks so much and congrats to the newlyweds on here!!
    Posted by alibap3982[/QUOTE]

I'm not a Glen Island bride. But I did work in a catering hall. You might want to check on this. Is this really how Glen Island does it or do you just assume.

My venue had a set price for our Maitre D'. It was $300 and it went to just them. We also gave our bridal waitress $50 and we gave $20 to each member of the waitstaff because I know how appreciated it was when I got a tip. (Most times, we didn't get anything, but I can't count the number of times I would see people go over to the Maitre D and say "thank you and the staff for all for your help" and give them an envelope and that envelope went into said Maitre D' pocket. Those that did want to give tips to the waitstaff gave the money either directly to us or to the manager where I worked and they distributed it to us.

Tipping the staff was something I definitely wanted to do at our wedding. But that was just me, I know they got paid for working our wedding, I just wanted to give something extra because I know its appreciated.

The sales person does not get a tipped. But check to see really where that Maitre D' amount is going.

PS - Have a beautiful wedding day!
  • Options
    lala2282lala2282 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm getting married at the Fountainhead and it's the same company. We requested that our sales manager is our maitre de.  They do both.  If you want to see that your sales manager gets tipped, just ask them to be the maitre de the day of when you go in for your final food selections.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards