New York-Hudson Valley

Mariachi Band?

Okay I know it sounds even more odd then my wedding at the zoo. However, FI and I were somewhat joking around when we were talking about incorporating a mariachi band into the final events of the evening. I'm now wondering if I could find a mariachi band to play at our rehersal dinner as a funny joke/surprise for FI. Does anyone know of where I could find such a band??
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mariachi Band?

• edited December 2011
    Hi,
    I know it may seem funny to incorporate it as a joke but speaking as someone who's Mexican and mariachi bands are an integral part of our culture I really don't find it funny at all. Mariachi's are respected bands who take part of very very important events in our lives such as weddings, baptisms, quinceanos, birthdays, etc and should be honored as such and respected for the music and joy they bring to someone who really knows how to appreciate it. Sorry for sounding harsh, but I never understood why people choose to use mariachi's at their weddings when they don't know the real significance of them.
  • edited December 2011
    I know you may think you know me and think that I am making fun of your culture, but you don't. I come from various latin backround as my father is 100% latin. And most people judge me and assume I am not because I am fair skinned with blue eyes and brown hair. Very much like you assume I am making fun of your culture. If you knew the significanc of the mariachi band in our relationship, such as him having one play for my birthday etc, then you would understand why I would find it funny to surprise him with you. Please don't take what I wrote and twist it into making fun of your, and my culture.
  • edited December 2011
    Def not judging it just sounded by the way you wrote "funny joke/surprise" mariachi band it seemed you were making fun of the whole thing like it would be a ha ha look at them singing etc etc. If that wasn't your intention sorry for sounding so harsh, I just tend to be very protective of my culture as I've seen many people use mariachi's at their weddings without really knowing or understanding their significance. I'll be having mariachis at my wedding because I know my family and my grandparents will be able to sing the songs with them, drink with them, dance to them etc. If it's important to you and your fiance go for it. I know there are a couple of local mariachi bands in upstate NY, just do a search and you'll find them. My uncle is getting them for me so I'm not much help on that end. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    It's okay I understand how it is. I am defensive in the sense that people assume when I make comments about the latin culture I have zero idea what I'm talking about. People especially don't believe I'm latin because not even my father who is Puerto Rican and Spanish looks latin :) My mother is 100% Irish so that's where my looks gene comes from. Sorry to be snarky writing back. I will deffinetly google. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards