New York-Hudson Valley
Options

MOB dresses suggestions

My mom is having the hardest time finding a dress for the wedding, which is in less than 2 months.  So we're at a definite time crunch.  

But she is so specific about what she wants.  
1. she needs sleeves because she's not comfortable with her arms.  
2. she's on the plus side and needs something along the hips and she hates ruffle dresses
3.  it needs to be a color that flatters her skin tone and is not the same as the MOG.
4.  it can't be too expensive....like $300 is too much

We've been to the Town Shop in Pougkeepsie and Davids Bridal.  She's going to Bella Coutoure in Newburgh today.  Does anyway have any other suggestions?  TIA!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: MOB dresses suggestions

• Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My mom had a number of the same requirements and found her dress at Bella Couture so I hope your mom does too.

If not, try the Harriman Clothing Company in Harriman.
    http://www.harrimanclothingco.com/

It's connected to an Army-Navy store so at first you might think I'm crazy, but they have some very pretty dresses.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    probablykateprobablykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Mom get her dress at David's Bridal and I think it meets all of your Mom's criteria (my Mom had similar criteria and there were a few that fit the bill at David' Bridal).  She also found a couple of similar ones at Macys but the colors weren't what she wanted.

Here she is in her dress (it's pretty slimming, plus she is short and somehow it makes her look taller than she is)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tstegertsteger member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My mom just fell in love with a gown from Macys. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I'm going to have to go to Macy's and JCPenny's and those types of stores with her.  

kristenanddan-that's where my FMIL got her dress!  I'm just worried about the timeline now.  My FMIL ordered her dress quite a few weeks ago and is still doing alterations.  So I don't know if 2 months is enough time.  

But thank you all.  We need to get crackin'!  Any more ideas?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_mob-dresses-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:6d7aaa92-b5fa-4e5f-bda2-8c0515f3334cPost:b1e8f1fc-f0c6-465c-adcf-738efca8221f">Re: MOB dresses suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]
     If not, try the Harriman Clothing Company in Harriman. <a href="http://www.harrimanclothingco.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://www.harrimanclothingco.com/</a> It's connected to an Army-Navy store so at first you might think I'm crazy, but they have some very pretty dresses.
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

I second this! About 15 people I know went there and found dresses. They call that women the dress whisperer! LoL

My sister went in there and found some stuff she liked. To no avail she hated all of them on her. The store owner asked if she could pull some. My sister was hesitant and said yes. She loved all of them on her. This exact scenario happened to my FMIL.
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom is plus size and wanted a jacket.  She went to the Westchester (after looking at The Town Shop, Julie Allen in CT, Macys and David's Bridal) and got her dress at Nordstrom!  It was a light material too (i got married in Oct) and everyone loved it!!!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Perfect!  I'm dragging my mom everywhere this weekend.  Thanks for your help!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mbrischouxmbrischoux member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom got her dress at The Wedding Planner's Boutique in New Windsor, where I got my dress and bridesmaids' dresses.  She has a really nice selection and it's growing, so maybe you and your mom could try there if she's still having a hard time.  I believe, however, that her dress was close to $300, but you never know.
  • Options
    alba x mongealba x monge member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is in Oct. 15.   My FMIL found her dress at a dress boutique at the corner of Fordham Road and Grand Concourse in the Bronx.  She finds all of her party dresses there. (She's size 20+ish, big arms, big belly and finds the most flattering dresses there most under $150.00).    I am taking my mother there this weekend.  I just called and they have a new delivery of dresses today.   If there's nothing there she likes, we will head to Palisades mall and hit Camille Lavie.
    Mr. & Mrs. Rosa
  • Options
    carolsdaycarolsday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom just got her dress at Camilles in the Palisades mall .  It was pricy though , just over $400.00  , My Aunt however did not find anything , maybe i'll tell her about that bronx location that Alba suggested .   My moms dress is gorgeous though .
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards