New York-Hudson Valley

Question for teachers (not wedding related)

Hi ladies!

I'm usually on the NYC board but wanted to find out information on getting a teaching position Upstate. Me and FI currently live in Brooklyn and are considering moving upstate near Goshen/Chester area. I am a special ed teacher and was wondering if any teachers out there can stir me in the right direction on how to go about applying to schools out in Orange County? I currently teach for the DOE but I don't know if there are any other requirements in order to teach Upstate. Also, how is the salary for teachers?

Thanks!

Re: Question for teachers (not wedding related)

• Hi!
    I was exactly in your predicament! I have been working in the Bronx for the past two years and last summer we moved to a cute little town called Cold Spring in Putnam County. Needless to say, I had to find a new job...commuting 100 miles a day to the Bronx was getting to be too much! So I looked everyday on OLASJOBS (a database filled with teaching positions) and Dutchess County BOCES - Job Recruitment sites. Thankfully I landed my dream job one month ago as a 1st grade Special Ed teacher. Best of luck to you in your search!! It is definitely something worth looking into.
    Lots of schools up here also like that you've had your inner-city experience!
  • Thank you soo much! My FI is actually from Upstate and we are up there all the time since his family still lives there. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you hear back from schools from the time you started sending your resumes out? And how is the pay? I heard mix stories on the salaries. Is it more or less than city teachers? Sorry for all the questions LOL! If you can work in the city you can work anywhere! LOL!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_question-for-teachers-not-wedding-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:7fc22ff5-baea-40e2-98a3-9430f02de3a8Post:20dfb9ba-c37d-422a-a5bd-fe75ea78c467">Re: Question for teachers (not wedding related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi! I was exactly in your predicament! I have been working in the Bronx for the past two years and last summer we moved to a cute little town called Cold Spring in Putnam County. Needless to say, I had to find a new job...commuting 100 miles a day to the Bronx was getting to be too much! So I looked everyday on OLASJOBS (a database filled with teaching positions) and Dutchess County BOCES - Job Recruitment sites. Thankfully I landed my dream job one month ago as a 1st grade Special Ed teacher. Best of luck to you in your search!! It is definitely something worth looking into. Lots of schools up here also like that you've had your inner-city experience!
    Posted by mofo9[/QUOTE]
  • I second the OLAS suggestion.  It's definitely a good resource for job postings.  When I was applying for special ed jobs, I also just spent days sending resume packets to area districts, which is ultimatley how I landed my current position. 

Either way, I wish you a lot of luck - teaching jobs are hard to come by in this area but a lot of determination will lead to one!
  • I was extremely comitted about sending out my resumes. I always sent out hard copy as well as electronically. It usually took about 3-5 weeks to hear back especially because posting dates must be adhered to by the districts. I'm a third year teacher so for me the pay scale increased significantly. It also really helps that I had 24 credits above my Masters degree. They usually pay a certain amount per credit (like 50-60) so that helps ALOT! 
    Let me know if you need any other tips ! 
    Best of luck to you!! 
  • Since we're getting married in August, I was going to start sending resumes out in April. By September of 2013 I'll be with the DOE for over 2 years teaching and I also have my 30 and above so the salary should increase for me as well. Do teachers get tenured by you? I know with the DOE after three years you have to submit a portfolio to your principal to apply for tenure. Thank you again everyone for all the info!
  • I had some trouble going on interviews because my principal at my DOE school began to get very suspicious of my abscences and was giving me a hard time. She never asked me out right if I was but the drop in observations were becoming more frequent. So although you don't have to give medical notice of an absence but what I would do is try to get a note from a medical drop-in clinic just in case your interviews are becoming more frequent.
    About tenure, that is definitely something that my principal brought up to me when I gave her notice of my leaving. I was already 2 years in and had begun my tenure portfolio. Even though you have plans to leave I would begin a tenure portfolio filled with data of your students. That way you can bring that in on interviews. That was something I did and I do think it impressed my interviewers :)
    But when you do get appointed your contract states that you are a probationary teacher on a 3-year tenure track. It stinks to have to start your tenure all over again but I'm in the same boat. And hopefully I'll be at this school for a long time. And by the way I began looking as early as March. Just keep your eyes open because you'll never know how early you can find something. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards