• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
New York-Hudson Valley

vendor reviews - sort of

These reviews are SO overdue but I felt that a number of vendors needed public praise, so here I am.  Our wedding was supposed to be August 27 but Hurricane Irene had other ideas and the county closed our venue.  We managed to pull it together at the last minute and got hitched at our rehearsal dinner.  I can’t speak to what most of our vendors actually delivered since they didn’t have the opportunity to do so, but I thought I could share who went over and above and who disappointed us when our seven months of planning completely fell apart.

Glen Island Harbour Club

Glen Island was amazing.  From beginning to end, they were the easiest to deal with and the only vendor who went out of their way to take care of us when the wedding was cancelled.  During the planning process, Rocco was fantastic.  He explained everything, returned our calls and emails promptly and made us feel like we were the only wedding he had.

Rocco was the person who called us at 6:30pm Friday to tell us our wedding was cancelled.  Glen Island is located on a small island owned by Westchester County and it was the county that shut down the venue and would not permit us to hold the event.  Rocco said he would work with us to plan another date.  Fortunately, we were able to get married at our rehearsal dinner and we didn’t want to reschedule.  Once the dust settled, Glen Island worked with us and made sure we didn’t take a financial hit for the wedding that wasn’t.

Because we ended up getting married on Friday night (which is the Jewish Sabbath), our Rabbi would only perform a civil ceremony and said he would perform the Jewish ceremony at a later date.  We contacted Glen Island in October and asked if we could come up on a Saturday morning, borrow a room to sign the ketubah (Jewish wedding contract), and have our photographer take formal photos of us and our wedding party on the grounds.  Not only did they say oaky, they surprised us and allowed us to perform the entire ceremony in the room where we were supposed to be married!

I cannot say enough about Glen Island’s professionalism, generosity and kindness.  I’m disappointed we weren’t married there but thrilled we chose them in the first place.  I imagine this would have ended differently had we chosen anywhere else.

Arcadia Floral 

Oh, I am so disappointed with Arcadia.  If you had asked me during the wedding planning, I would have recommended them but when the stuff hit the fan, these guys fell short.  We had a rocky start here.  When we first met Jennifer, we thought she was so brusque that we were thisclose to walking out.  It took a few minutes but we turned that meeting around and were happy with Jennifer by the time we left. 

During the planning process, she was great.  Flowers ended up being the one thing the moms and we couldn’t agree on and Jennifer went out of her way to help us find a solution.  She was pregnant and due either in August but she told us – repeatedly – that she would be back at work for our wedding.  When I called Arcadia two weeks before, I was told she was still out on maternity leave and wouldn’t be back until September.  It wasn’t a tragedy but it would have been nice to know that she wouldn’t be around as promised.

When the wedding was cancelled, we never heard from her.  We dealt with the owner Sammy who was less than sympathetic.  Granted, flowers were purchased (which we had no issue paying for) but nothing had been assembled.  In fact, we were told our flowers were more expensive because there was so much labor on the wedding day.  Well, since there was no wedding, there was no labor and we thought they could be a bit more flexible. 

Skyline Orchestra

These guys were great!  We booked them after hearing them play one song.  Unfortunately, we never had a chance to see them play but they were wonderful to deal with during the planning.  We sent them lengthy emails and had calls about what we wanted them to play and they were terrific.  When we called them on Friday night to tell them the wedding was cancelled, they tried to make it to the rehearsal dinner so they could still perform.  Unfortunately, there just wasn’t enough time for them to get there.  In the end, they refunded most of our money and we hope that we’ll be able to book an event with them in the future. 

Westchester Marriott

These guys were pretty disorganized and mostly non-responsive when it came to setting up the room blocks and planning – until we were able to work with Robert, the Senior Catering Sales Executive.  Robert was amazing and really stepped up when everything went crazy.  Because we got married on Friday, we ended up cancelling all of our Saturday night rooms.  We also had to cancel the Sunday morning brunch for 75 people.  Not only did he not penalize us, he scrambled and pulled together a brunch for 35 of us on Saturday morning.  We cannot say enough good things about him.

Susan Gambelli Cakes

OMG.  We had the most delicious wedding cake.  I cannot believe more people do not know about this woman.  If you are getting married in the tri-state area, you MUST call her.  We did our tasting at the Red Rooster Café in White Plains and every bite was delicious.  We decided on a vanilla cake with white chocolate and a cheesecake filling.  It was outstanding!  And so beautiful.  She worked with us to get the design exactly as we wanted it.  When we called her Friday night to tell her we were cancelled, she interrupted her evening and delivered our cake to the rehearsal dinner!  We were floored.  People still tell me it was the greatest wedding cake they’ve had.

Elmwood Country Club

I know it’s unlikely anyone is getting married here (they rarely do weddings) but I have to give them praise for turning our rehearsal dinner into an impromptu wedding.  Iwona – who is the woman in charge here – turned a BBQ for 50 people into a last-minute wedding for 100+.  They stayed open late, brought in every chair they had to create a reception area and an aisle, called in a keyboard player, let our guest raid the ice cream bar set aside for the club members, set up tables, and turned two rooms into a bridal suite and a groom suite.  They were just awesome.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards