Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Wedding Rings - Which Hand?

I know that when someone gets engaged the E-ring should go on their left hand....

But is it standard for every groom to use their wedding band on their left hand? or can they wear it on any hand?
I thought grooms used their wedding band on their left hand only, but I've seen a few grooms/husbands using theirs on their right hand.

Re: Wedding Rings - Which Hand?

• Options
    Most rings go on the left unless there is a physical reason it cannot.  Such as a lack of fingers or the type of job the person has. 
  • Options

diddo on the hussie remark!!

• Options
    It goes on the left hand because that is closest to your heart!  Agreed on the hussy comment!
  • Options
    I have a coworker who is Asian, and his is worn on his right hand.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Left in North America, right in many European countries (Germany, Belgium, some others). My husband is Swiss, and his mother wears hers on her right hand, but he wanted me to wear it on the left because I'm right handed and clumsy.
  • Options
    Left hand. Ditto pp, certain countries do wear it on the right. It is something about the left, though, about that vein or something they believed in the old days (don't know if its really true) about the veins in your left hand leading directly to your heart and thus that is why it is the left hand.
  • Options
    glam70sglam70s member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I know a few people (both men and women) who always wore their ring on their left hand, but moved it to their right when they got divorced or widowed. How confusing for anyone European!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    From what I remember, people in Japan and others of Asian culture wear their engagement and/or wedding bands on their right hand ring finger. It's more traditional in the United States to wear it on the left hand ring finger, however.
  • Options
    My FH and I are wearing our rings on our right hands.  First of all, I had surgery on my left hand when I was 11 and I have permenant nerve damage in my finger.  it always either feels like it is asleep or is incredibly painful.  I could loose my ring and never realize it was no longer on my finger, or it could severly hurt me.  Because of this, he did research on the right hand in the bible...so many mentions of the right hand, Jesus being on the right hand of the Father, and things like that.  He thought it was actually rather symbolic to wear the ring on the right hand, even if it is a symbolism that only we understand.  He did all of this not realizing that I was okay telling people I am wearing it on the wrong hand because of nerve damage.  So, we are wearing our rings on our right hands...and whatever to the world!  but yes, I do have a physical reason why it is not on my left hand. 
  • Options
    I have a coworker that wears his on his right hand b/c it is his second wife.  He said he felt that it didn't feel right to put another ring on his left hand.  Also, my FI will be wearing his ring on his right hand b/c of issues.  His knuckle was dislocated when he was 17 playing football and never went back into place so, it would be retarded to get a ring over the knuckle and then not be super loose and have him play with it and possibly get damaged.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards