April 2012 Weddings

Are you hand addressing your invitations?

I'm going to be sending out my invitations out soon, and my FMIL use to do calligraphy so she was going to do the envelopes for us. Unfortunately she injured her wrist and won't be able to do it now. Our options are to hand address them ourselves or print them out using a calligraphy font (I'd rather not pay for calligraphy services). I've been reading its bad etiquette to not hand address envelopes. My handwriting is not the greatest, and I think a calligraphy font would give the envelopes a much more polished look. I've received many wedding invitations and could not even tell you if they were handwritten or not -- I really just didn't notice. Is printing your envelopes really that big of a faux pas?

Re: Are you hand addressing your invitations?

• I printed my addresses on the envelope in the LIGHTEST gray possible, and traced it with a fine tip marker.

It looked handwritten but much more clean.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hand-addressed mine, but we had a small wedding.  I think printed on envelopes is gaining more ground.  Personally, I don't like the look of address labels, even clear ones, on a formal invite.
  • I hired a calligrapher, I found one on Etsy that was only a dollar an envelope, her work was so beautiful I am so happy.
    mikeandtine.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OP, I say do what you're comfortable with.  I just recieved 2 wedding invitations - both with our address in a pretty font on a clear address label.  I probably wouldn't have even noticed if I wasn't planning my own wedding. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I printed mine in a calligraphy font. I had never heard it was bad etiquette - i think it looks neater than writing them myself. I wouldn't worry about printing them...
    Visit OrangeCounty.Weddings.comWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didnt like my handwritting either and didnt want to pay to have them done so I have a girl from our church doing them. I just got her the pens. She did such a great job on them im actually giving her $100 when she said she wasnt charging me. Im not a huge fan of labels I guess im just tradtional. As PP mentioned if I received an invite addressed on labels I wouldnt dwell on it. It might get a side eye but thats about it.
    Photobucket
    April 2012 April siggy challenge: How I relax image
    My Barely There Bio updated 7/12!
  • edited January 2012
    I'm not hand writing mine. I'm doing it all on my own, so I'm printing the addresses right on the envelope since I have an envelope feeder for my printer. I also want the ink to be green to match how I did my save-the-dates. I picked a nice font and the save-the-dates turned out great.

I say "bleh" to it being bad etiquette on how the addresses get on the envelope. If someone is going to be that upset over you not handwriting your addresses, they probably shouldn't be someone you have at your wedding, anyway. I think that's an antiquated rule.

If you want to hand write them or have someone do calligraphy on them, or if you want to print them in a nice font, I say go with whatever you want to do.
    Jamie 9/1/2013 BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just sent mine out 2 days ago, and hand wrote them all myself.. as someone else said, I've recieved many wedding invitations in my life and can't remember how the envelope was addressed!  I think its one of those things only the bride gets concerned with =)  I was considering labels, but figured it would take more time to enter everything into a label program than it would to just hand write it.   I did however, have a freak out moment with having to add the extra one cent stamp to the envelopes!! I had JUST gotten the stamps a week before, and the sales clerk at the post office didnt have the decency to tell me they would be going up in a couple of days!! The nerve!!! Its become a funny joke now with some co workers and having a "lampshades and wedding cake" themed wedding... hehe
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards