New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Looking for inexspensive DJ and Photographer

I'm having my wedding at the Pok Grand. Now I'm looking for a DJ and a photographer. I don't want to have to pay more than $1000 for the photographer and not more than $700 for DJ. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? My FI and I had our first budget meltdown about this last night. :-)

Re: Looking for inexspensive DJ and Photographer

• Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, that's probably doable for a dj, but I don't know about a photographer. We tried to find a photographer in that price range and quickly gave up because the quality just isn't there.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the PP.  DJ is definately doable but the photog will be tough.  For a DJ, I know that my DJ has a basic package for $750, we used The DJ Company, and they were great!  For photog, I would ask any of the ones online if they do a basic hourly rate, no albums, no nothing; just have them give you a CD of proofs.  This way you can print out what you like and make your own album.  Nick Carter Photography, the photog we used, was great, and i think that he does something like this, too.  Other DJ that I see on here that get good reviews is DJ Bri, who I think is on or under $1,000.  Fantasy Flash may also have a photo package, I wouldn't know, but they're mentioned on here alot.  Hope that helps!
  • Options
    BellaSposa223BellaSposa223 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp. If that's your max budget for photography, you may want to consider finding a photography student. What are you looking for in the photography package?

Jaimie
  • Options
    woodfrogswoodfrogs member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You might be able to find someone who will do a 4 or 5 hour photo coverage for that price, and maybe with a disk. Ask around. It may also depend on your date, and if it's high-demand or not. DJ's I can't help out with, although we were at a wedding recently that had a Dj that included lights for free with his package. PJ the DJ services, I'm at work and don't have his contact info, but you may be able to google his phone number or email.
  • Options
    posadagirl20posadagirl20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My photographer is awsome and Shes withing that range. Her name is Helena...Check out her Web Site at all day images@smugmug.com
  • Options
    posadagirl20posadagirl20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *Within...I can spell I swear
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used DJ Bri (He's awesome by the way!)

When we booked, he was $1200. But we saved $200 because I won a prize at a bridal show. So he ended up costing us $1000. Which isn't that far off your budget.

For photo - I highly doubt you will find anyone in this area willing to shoot your entire wedding day for that amount. As Jaimie (Bellasposa) suggested, if that's all you can afford, you might want to call the colleges and ask about photography students.

But remember, after your wedding, the pictures are really all that you have left (and of course the memories :) But, if you are willing to spend less in some areas, you might be able to put more money in your photo budget. (The knot's budget guide says assume 10% for photo - they obviously have never been to the hudson valley! lol! We spent (and are continuing to spend) a lot more than we wanted on photo. But, we did go with a professional company. and even though it sucks because it's so much, we are very happy with the pictures we got.

You don't need all the hoopla stuff to make your wedding special. And you can cut back in some areas. But you don't want to regret "going" cheap on photography.

Look at your budget overall. And what you are spending on things. By making simple changes to our centerpieces and favors we were able to save over $500. We only had a rolls royce for us. The bridal party drove themselves. No shuttle bus. Used the chair sashes that came with our package. Little things like that can completely add up.

See if you can find some money from some other line in your budget. If you add it to photo, you will have more options.

Good luck!
  • Options
    timelady77timelady77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What I'm looking for in the package is really just a disc of all the images with some retouching. I don't need prints or albums, I can do all that myself.

For us, it's not a matter of skimping on other things. Our wedding is pretty minimal as it is. We might be able to go up to $1500, but I'm not sure that would be possible.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly - you might want to check out some photographers in CT.  But it does depend on where you are geting married. Some will travel to westchester county. I got a photographer and its $1700 ( I know a little more then you want to spend) but its all day coverage, a cd w/all prints, engagement session, thank you cards and some other things. We met him at a bridal show and he is on theknot too. You might want to check him out - david's photography, bethel CT. Im sure he would be willing to work with you..

(Now we just booked him so I cant give a full review of him yet!)
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker **FIRST TIME MOM**
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know this is from a while ago, but I thought I would enter in here and hopefully help.

My photographer Nick Carter Photography was amazing and his prices were completely reasonable.  We paid $1700, but that wasn't the lowest package.  There were lower and it is paid in 3 installments.  One as a deposit, one the day of and then the last 4-5 weeks after the wedding, when he gets the pics back to you.  It might help the budget issue (you could use some gift $, if you had to)  He was really great and made the day effortless!

I also used DJ company...we had the no frills base package, which was $750.  They were great to work with.  I would check them out. 

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    mrsomar2bmrsomar2b member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We used Music by Frances and Danielle and while it's been a few yrs we pd $850. A little more than you're hoping to spend, but I figured I'd mention them in case you wanted to call and see if they might work with your budget. It can't hurt to ask. 

As for a photographer check out Craigslist. There are photographers just starting out who will do a wedding for free or nearly free just to get the experience and photos for their portfolio. Even the best photographers had to start somewhere! 

Good luck with all your planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards