New York-Hudson Valley

Invitation address wording help

I need your help! How you you word the outside address for an invitation where you are inviting a Husband and wife and their two adult children with guests? Both children still live at home but are 21+ and are being invited with guests.... do I need to send three seperate invites to their home? or can I put something like "Mr. & Mrs. John Doe and Family" but where do they know they get guests? I'm not having inner envelopes so this has to be somewhere on the outside. Help! Thanks!!
October 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Invitation address wording help

• kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    The children should each get their own invite.
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_invitation-address-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:a7d0df1d-7985-4bae-8bd9-7c3d2f53539cPost:7a093c70-0a6e-4bf5-a8c2-bb1330a2eac8">Re: Invitation address wording help</a>:
    [QUOTE]The children should each get their own invite.
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

Agreed that the children should get their own invite.
  • edited December 2011
    eh, I had that situation and sent one invite. 
    Address the outside one to
    Mr. & Mrs. X
    Sally X
    Tom X
    123 main street
    Town, State, zip

Then on the inside  envelope you can put the and guest parts.
  • edited December 2011
    Just reread and see that you have no inner envelopes.  You could put the & guest on the outside.  It's not ideal but it gets thrown away any way. Why spend the $ on the stamps if you don't have to. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks gals... I defnitely see that etiquette says I should send seperate invites... but who really cares? if that was me on the recieving end I would think it was a waste.
    October 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    6 people is kind of a lot for one invite. Really, it's less than $2 in extra postage, it will be a lot more clear (especially since you don't have inner envelopes), and it's correct etiquette wise to just send 3.
    imageimageimage
  • bridaljoybridaljoy member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had separate invites for every adult, and I agree it was a waste.  My sister for her wedding didn't do it and I overheard my aunt talking about her. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_invitation-address-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:a7d0df1d-7985-4bae-8bd9-7c3d2f53539cPost:e7a7e933-c254-4916-bbaf-c8e9e5464df5">Re: Invitation address wording help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had separate invites for every adult, and I agree it was a waste.  My sister for her wedding didn't do it and I overheard my aunt talking about her. 
    Posted by bridaljoy[/QUOTE]

Seriously, if my aunt had made a comment about it related to someone else's wedding, I would definitley send it the exact same way, just to piss her off.  And never invite her to anything again if I could avoid it.   
    It's an envelope, it goes in the garbage. People are way to uptight.
  • edited December 2011
    I sent a separate invite to my 22 year old brother who still lives with my parents. My mom ended up filling out the response card for him.

Waste of pastage? Probably. But its the right thing to do etiquette wise, and even more so if the kids are able to bring guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards