New York-Hudson Valley

Grandview

Hi Ladies,
We're starting to narrow down our choices for venues and have a tentative decision for the Grandview in Poughkeepsie. Need your advice. For anyone that was married there:
-How is the area at night? We would obviously use the Grand Hotel for our guests and want to make sure it isn't sketchy on a Friday night.
-Also, I know they have 2 weddings at a time. Any situations where having another wedding going on was a problem? Seems like they're separate enough but I've heard that the maitre'de shares her time  between both and there could be a time conflict for photographs. 

Any insight would be helpful!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Grandview

• edited December 2011
    We had our reception at the Grandview and I can't recommend it to you highly enough!

The area around the Grandview is fine, as far as I know. Around the Grand, it can be a little sketchier, but I know a bunch of my guests (including my father) walked from the Grand down to Mahoney's after our reception, and didn't have any problems.

To this day, I have no idea if another wedding was going on at the same time as mine. For some reason, I think they told me another one was going to be happening around the same times as ours, but I never noticed. I don't think my maitre'd shared his time, but again, if he did, I didn't notice at all. We didn't have any time conflict for pictures either, but we also had our ceremony at a church, and did pictures before we came to the Grandview, so it probably wouldn't have mattered for us anyway.

Enjoy your planning! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • tfunicellotfunicello member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the insight! The fact that you don't even know if there was another wedding going on says a lot. We're getting married in a church as well, so hopefully we have the same luck as you!

Thanks again :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We got married at the GV (3 years ago this August!!) & it was simply Uhh-maz-ing!
    It was top notch & classy. The food, service, the people behind the scenes...just simply FAB! There should be some pics in my bio. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • probablykateprobablykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Grandview in October, so I can't tell you how it went yet, but as far as safety they probably told you they run a trolley car back and forth between the Grandview and Pok Grand so your guests don't have to wander around on their own.  And the Pok Grand has a bar in the lobby if your guests want a bar to hang out in afterward.  As far as safety in general I see it like any city.  If your guests are street-smart they should be fine. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I was a guest at a wedding there when they first opened. I remember the bride saying they couldn't do pictures outside because there was another wedding in the tent that night (we were in the ballroom). I don't know if the bride ever noticed, but it irritated me that there were a ton of party crashers from the other wedding. That might have been because thr B&G for the other wedding were only like 20 and their guests were really immatrue, but it was still annoying to me.

On the plus side, the food and service was A M A Z I N G!!!
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We were married at The Grandview and had absolutely no problems at all with the second wedding on the premises or the area around the Grand hotel. Some of our guests walked from the hotel down to the bars after the wedding. I really have nothing bad to say about either venue!
  • tfunicellotfunicello member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone, I definitely feel better hearing your experiences :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards