New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Secluded, woodsy venue

My fiance and I are trying to find the wedding venue perfect for us, but it's proving more difficult than we thought, so I thought I'd pick everyone else's brain for ideas. 
We want a secluded location, with charm and character (like a barn, mill, etc.), and trees.  We are inviting 170, so we are expecting around 150 guests.  Money is a factor, so we are looking for the more budget locations, and we would prefer not to have the wedding be in a tent.  We also would prefer the convenience of an all-inclusive type package, rather than finding the caterer and other rentals separately.  We are looking in the NJ/NY/PA area.
To give you an idea...So far we loved Stroudsmoor's Woodsgate (but feel like our 150 will be squished into the reception room), and Ridgecrest (but can't make the 175 minimum), and loved the view and price of Bear Mountain's Overlook Lodge (but did not like the reception room/cocktail hour hallway). 
If anyone has any ideas for other places for us to check out, we'd love to hear them!

Re: Secluded, woodsy venue

• Options
    I understand your frustration because I'm going through the same thing. I just got engage 2 months ago and I started looking for a venue for the wedding. Even though I just started looking this week, I'm already frustrated because my fiance is becoming a groomzilla. He don't want to have the wedding in the Bronx nor in Manhattan and the sad part is that these 2 cities are the only one so far where I found a venue that affordable so now I'm back at square one. I don't know where else to look and I need help
  • Options
    Hi Guys, I'm new here.  Just joined today, so I thought I'd share an idea for a farm we just looked at and loved. http:// www.fullmoonmedusa.com  --the barn is amazing, 200 years old, I think, and they have a lot of land for an awesome tent, and if I remember correctly, there are no size restrictions.  They'll tailor it to your wedding size.  You seem to get a lot for your money per head in the Catskills. I hope this helps.  I'm going to hit the boards now to see what else I can learn about a farm wedding.
  • Options
    Have you considered Blue Hill at Stone Barn?  I've never been there for a formal event, but they do hold weddings.

http://www.bluehillfarm.com/events/weddings
  • Options
    Thank you for the ideas!  I emailed both of those places; The pictures look beautiful, we'll see what they say!
  • Options
    Full Moon in Medusa is a place where you have to arrange all the rentals and caterer yourself, which we're hoping to not have to do.  The Blue Hill at Stone Barns...are you ready for it? .... is $450/person!!!!!  Holy moly!  Needless to say, that doesn't fit our budget!
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_secluded-woodsy-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:b112db16-2791-4d2c-a116-c91c37c53d0aPost:c91c15c0-1d38-43ab-bce2-fedbe8f32cf4">Re: Secluded, woodsy venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for the ideas!  I emailed both of those places; The pictures look beautiful, we'll see what they say!
    Posted by szammi[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Hi Szammi!! Glad to be of help.  Here are my two cents on farm weddings. My reasearch on Full Moon Farm indicates that you have to bring in all your own people, but they have a planner who does it all for you, and it will run you WAY less than $450 pp. I mean, $450 pp at Blue Hill is a little crazy IMO.   I'll admit, a farm event can seem daunting, but that's the whole point of a farm wedding, that it's cool and rustic.  We want a real farm with fields, a barn and a view, not a fancy restaurant posing as a farm.  I think it'll be worth it.  Their reviews online are stellar, and they did a whole "open house" for us when we did our tour today.  Caterer, florist, planner, photographer, all were there. They even picked us up from the train and took us back to Hudson after our tour.  It changed my mind about rolling up my sleeves and getting the job done.  Plus the planner seems great, which is a HUGE load off my mind.  We still have a few farms to look at, but we are so far leaning toward this place.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_secluded-woodsy-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:b112db16-2791-4d2c-a116-c91c37c53d0aPost:0aae91d4-7e86-48e1-b9a8-f1926d977106">Re: Secluded, woodsy venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]Full Moon in Medusa is a place where you have to arrange all the rentals and caterer yourself, which we're hoping to not have to do.  The Blue Hill at Stone Barns...are you ready for it? .... is $450/person!!!!!  Holy moly!  Needless to say, that doesn't fit our budget! In Response to Re: Secluded, woodsy venue :
    Posted by szammi[/QUOTE]

Are you serious??? $450 pp is way out of my budget and I can't swing that. I'm sure we can find a place that is in our budget. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    www.AppleFarmBarn.com in the Hudson Valley has a rustic barn with that old time personality. Horses graze nearby. Your guests can stroll over to the babbling brook. And the sunset is breathtaking. Secluded and off the road.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards