New York-Hudson Valley
Options

My Official Hello!

Hi All!  I've been on the boards sporadically doing my pre-engagement research (haha!) but as of December 17th, the official wedding planning has begun! 

FI and I met through a mutual friend and grew up in Bergen County, but we both fell in love with the Hudson Valley area after a trip to Tarrytown early in our relationship.  I want to try and have an outdoor ceremony and we're looking for a late September 2011 time frame. It seems like a while off, but I work full time and go to grad school so planning time is a bit limited. I'm sure it'll fly!!!!

This weekend my mom, Fi's mom and my MOH (who also happens to be my future sister in law) went to see the Nyack Seaport and The View on the Hudson.  They were night and day and I can't believe they gave us somewhat similar pricing!! I fell in love with the View and can't wait to head back to show FI & (hopefully) book!  I have one more place in mind to call, but I feel confident the the View is it for me--I have no desire to spend the next few weekends running around NY.

I only had one concern with the View: they only do Buttercream cakes and their sample pics looked super outdated! Anyone have experience with buttercream cakes? What are your thoughts?

Looking forward to many, many posts on the HV Board!!! :)

Re: My Official Hello!

• Options
    mockninemocknine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    congratulations on your enagement!!!!  Welcome to the HV board!

I don't have any experience with buttercream cakes, sorry I can't be any help there.... hopefully you'll find that the girls on here are great, and someone will definitely be able to help you!

Congrats again!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    no help on cakes here, but i wanted to say hi and welcome! and Congrats :)
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Photobucket image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The View is beautiful!  I think they use the same company for cakes as Patriot Hills where I got married and the bakery was able to make a more modern looking cake for us.  I think you can pay extra for fondant too if you want.  Another girl on this board, lawyer707 got married at The View so she might be able to help better. 
  • Options
    MidgetteMidgette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    no help here!
    but welcome and congratsssssssssssssssssssssssssss

• Options
    lawyer707lawyer707 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome! I got married at the View in September. The View doesn't make their own cakes. They are made by homestyle desserts in Peekskill. You can have any design you want although they have a booklet of some choices (they may just charge a nominal fee extra). If you bring homestyle a pic, they'll do whatever design. I had mine made into different colored suitcases for our travel theme for less than 100 extra. They don't use fondant, but their buttercream can be made smooth so it really resembles fondant (and tastes much better).

I had an amazingly wonderful experience at the View, and I highly recommend you use them for your reception. People are still talking and raving about my amazing wedding now! See my bio/blog for details. I can also send you some pics if you give me your email address. HTH!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    SandDDSandDD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That would be fantastic!!! My email is SandDD930 @ live dot com

Thanks so much for the cake info. After doing some research online, I found some really great buttercream ideas online already so I feel a lot better.  I really like simple cakes (right now at least haha) so it's good to know they can make something if you give them the inspiration.

Did you use any of their preferred vendors?
  • Options
    lawyer707lawyer707 member
    edited December 2011

I don't really remember who their preferred vendors were since I got most of my from other knotties, but pretty much all of mine were great. I highly recommend Lee Vazquez for flowers. She lives right in Piermont and works at the View a lot. She did an amazing job on my flowers. I'll send you the pics right now.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    edited December 2011
    welcome and congrats!

i wouldn't worry too much about the buttercream....fondant tastes like nothing...and most of the time, the buttercream for wedding cakes looks smooth and is not birthday cake like
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My brother got married at The View back in summer '06 and they loved it!   As a guest, the reception was wonderful.  I remember the food being tasty, especially the raw bar during the cocktail hour.  I know my brother and sister-in-law also worked with Lee Vasquez for flowers and they adored her.  They wanted really alternative centerpieces (she has the photos on her website) and she was patient and willing to work with their design ideas.  (Their centerpieces were the willow branches and orchids in a large bowl). 

Congrats and Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards