Massachusetts-Boston
Options

finding the right veil?

i'm just curious how people knew that their veil was "the one" ... i'm guessing most places don't really have a return policy for veils. do i need to lug my dress around to bridal shops or is there another way?tia! :)

Re: finding the right veil?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Is your dress online with a model wearing it and a veil? That might be how I would start.. see what looks good with your style of dress and go from there. But I have been thinking about this too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm torn between a fingertip veil and a cathedral veil. I'm going to try both when my gown comes in during my first fitting. I'll be buying the veil elsewhere, but need to see both lengths with my gown before I commit to one or the other. I've also explained my situation at David's Bridal (I have a gown, but am looking for a veil). Because I was interested in buying a veil (and I was legitimately interested in buying) they were willing to let me try them on with a sale dress that was similar in style to mine). I'm still undecided.
    Wedding Date: January 16th, 2010

Cycle #5: BFP on June 14, 2011 -- Due Date: February 23, 2012 -- Born: February 26, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought a veil online and then it looked terrible with my dress.  So at my first fitting, I tried on all the different styles, took some photos and then went elsewhere and found something similar to the one I liked in the bridal salon.  I had my heart set on a 1 tier fingertip length but it just wasn't right with my dress, so I ended up getting a 2 tier shoulder length.  I would definately check into the return policies, as the one I bought online was not returnable.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ... I had to try mine on with my dress.  I think at one point, the bridal owner put me in a long veil before the birdcage and it looked..... OK, but not right.  Not, not right for the dress- it looked fine with it, but for me.  I wasn't a long-veil type of girl.  I also wasn't a lacey, frilly, beaded, or embroidered disaster (pib of the dress I chose.  Don't think I could have chosen a more 'plain-jane' dress), so an intricate or heavy veil would have overpowered the dress easily.  I also DON'T want to wear the veil for any pics... just down the isle.  Birdcage fit for me. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I knew the veil was the one because I liked how it looked on its own and how it looked with the dress. I would definitely recommend trying the veil on with the dress but also trust your instincts of what you like without any dress, what looks good on you without any dress and what you liked on other people. You don't necessarily need to lug the dress around. As you said you did at DB, try on a very similar dress with the veils you're considering. DB also has a 'dress your wedding' feature on their website. They allow you to put a dress on a mannequin online and then put various veils on the mannequin as well. This could give you a great starting point as to what kind of veil you're looking for. Also looking online could be a lot easier than in store. GL and HTH.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I forget if I knew that I wanted a cathedral before I went dress shopping or not but I don't think so. What I did know is that I did not want anything with sparkle or lace, just plain,  The second I put "the dress" on, my bridal consultant grabbed the veil and put it on me. It just looked perfect. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards