Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Picture Prints/ Albums

A couple of knotties suggested that I hire the photographer I love and get the negatives to make my own album. Some questions/ concerns: If I print out the pictures elsewhere- will the pictures be a good quality? I don't want to compromise the photographer's work with bad printing. Where do you ladies get your pictures and albums made? What are the costs associated?

Re: Picture Prints/ Albums

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's such a great topic.  Rachel H from Merge Weddings wrote a long blog entry about this.  One of the reasons she's leaving the wedding scene (domestically anyways) is b/c too many brides are DIYing their albums.  I know a lot of photographers view the album as a piece of art and they take great care with it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For quality prints I use Mpix.com and Ritzpics.com ... they are slightly more expensive than your Walgreens or Snapfish prints but they are on high quality paper and go through a color process before being printed ... For albums there are a variety of sites from the expensive and more professional flushmounts: Mpix to the more cost effective printed directly on paper: Picaboo, MyPublisher, Blurb ... Its all about what you want to get for what you want to pay ...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My photographer (Lisa Rigby) suggested I use Adoramapix and I couldn't be happier with the prints I got from them. Real people work there - it's not just a digital print on demand company, so they check your photos and color balance them if necessary. They also do albums - I'm deciding between them and Blurb (also recommended by photog) for our wedding album. I'm a designer and someone else making/designing my album was just unacceptable to me personally - but you gotta go with what works for you! I did our e-pic album at MyPublisher because I had a coupon, and their quality was fine for the price (except one photo had a big black dot on it... obv no one looked at it before it was sent to me...).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    foolforfood - do you have a link to that blog entry? i am really interested in reading it, my photograher wrote a blog along the same lines, and it opened my eyes to a few things - thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another thing to consider is the retouching work involved. Our photog does some amazing retouching for photos that go into the album--much more than the basic retouching that goes into the proofs. (For example--exposed wires, exit signs, outlets, etc. are removed from the photos; teeth and eyes are whitened; etc.) So I consider that to be another part of what I am paying for in the album design process, beyond just the cost of the physical album. Some of that stuff goes way beyond my photoshop skills.
    imageimage BFP #1 7/2011 natural m/c at 11.5 weeks. BFP #2 3/2012 ectopic pg, MTX at 7.5 weeks. BFP #3 10/2012, EDD 6/24/2013 over the moon to be expecting our baby girl in June!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our photographer is retouching all the photos before giving us the digital negatives to turn into an album - just FYI - I'm not sure they all do it, but our photos will be ready to print when we receive the disk.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess to clarify, you should ask about what degree of retouching gets done before the digital copies. Our proofs are lightly retouched (e.g. for color/light balance, etc.), but they are not heavily retouched (the removing exit sign type work I was referring to.) My guess is that if you wanted substantial retouching on the whole set of photos it would cost a fortune because a lot of work is involved with retouching each one, and typically you get several hundred photos. So just ask the photog to explain what type of retouching is included already.
    imageimage BFP #1 7/2011 natural m/c at 11.5 weeks. BFP #2 3/2012 ectopic pg, MTX at 7.5 weeks. BFP #3 10/2012, EDD 6/24/2013 over the moon to be expecting our baby girl in June!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, killian - I think my post came out snarky - I meant to reiterate that you raised a really good point about the retouching, our photog is (and I believe our photog referred BostonGirl to the other photog she's considering) - but not all of them might, as you said - it's a really good question to raise in negotiations for the negatives and the answer could be a huge deciding factor (I know I wouldn't have gone with my photog if the retouching wasn't included!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    no worries erilou--i'm wasn't offended, i promise. :) the retouching work is definitely important, and i'm glad you worked it out with your photog so that you could get the retouched images and still make your own album. I was just trying to make sure I was being clear, because I didn't realize how much work went into retouching photos until I started to talk to our photographer and see some of his before/after photos myself! they can really take a good photo and turn it into something dazzling with the retouching.
  • Options
    BostonGirl82BostonGirl82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The photographer does offer me a disc of at least 500 high resolution images. I am not sure if that means it is re-touched. I am assuming I could make an album out of these pictures and print it elsewhere. My true concern is the quality of printing it at a Ritz/ other commercial stores vs where photographers would go. Also- I am not very artistic/ creative and I think a professional would do a much better job on my album.I am going to work on negotiating with this photographer.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    /cs/ks/user/default.aspx?UserName=mrogaleski','_blank','toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=0,menubar=0,copyhistory=0,width=990,height=700,scrollbars=1,resizable=1' )">mrogaleski - it was from a couple of months ago. I was stalking her blog one day and stumbled upon it. She also went on to say that she notices a discernable difference in quality between DIY weddings and weddings with a wedding coordinator at the helm. I tend to disagree with such a blanket statement, but I understand where her overall sentiment comes from.At first I thought, my gosh, what a snotty thing to say. But I understand that in certain situations, you MUSt hire professionals.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ...sorry for the poor formatting!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Couldn't find the blog entry but I am going to keep trying. Here's the one posted by my photog. but it sounds like the entrys were a bit different. http://www.gwynethcolleen.com/?p=423
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards