Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Wedding Cost

Hi Knotties,I got married years ago but I am back to find out info for my little sister's wedding. Just wondering what prices are like these days in the Boston area. If you don't mind filling this out.What did you spend on...Venue:Food:Drink:Flowers:Rentals:Photog:Dress:Church:Rehearsal Dinner:Lodging:

Re: Wedding Cost

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FYI: You left off some big ticket items like entertainment, cake, invites, limos etc... I don't mention this to be snarky but if you are serious about getting a well rounded budget you might want to consider these things as well.Also, again, not to be snarky, but I what do you hope to get out of this? Averages? Because if you hang around these boards long enough you will see expensive weddings done poorly and budget weddings with a lot more heart and taste then most.
  • Options
    RosyPosyBrideRosyPosyBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Venue: free- FI's family homeFood: catering is about 40kDrink: about 12kFlowers: 10kRentals: tent and furniture 10kPhotog:5kDress: dont have it yetChurch: 1k donationRehearsal Dinner: not sure yetLodging: not sure yetlimo: not sureinvites: not sureband: 5kcake: not sure, probably like 1500
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You're going to get a wide, wide range of prices here.  How many people is your little sister planning for?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Venue/catering: 5kAttire: 700Flowers: 500Invites/STDs: 250Music: ipod!Cake: 250Hair: 400 (thats our splurge)Photog: 1250Lodging: 550 (also a splurge)Keep in mind my estimated guest list is 50.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you yes, we are looking at about 150 people. I know I will get a big range but I am wondering anyway just as food for thought. I think she was hoping to spend about 50k but I wonder if that is still reasonable for either a Cape wedding or a city wedding.Also, I was wondering where people slashed budgets and where people splurged. Thank you MrsBins for highlighting that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you can do a very nice Cape or Boston wedding for 150 people for $50k. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP that this isnt really a worthwhile way to figure out costs...what I have seen is a lot of brides being very creative in ways to have a great wedding. They are configuring dinners, lodging, honeymoons, and even their dress expenses. So it is not comparing apples to apples. Every bride on here has a different approach and a totally unique event, imho.You might be better off asking for total budgets. Mine is about 20K for 100 guests including me, FI, fams, WP.
  • Options
    hapark11hapark11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think most weddings cost about as much as the budget the bride and groom are given ahead of time.  You take that number, and you make it work.  I think the range of prices here will vary too much to be helpful,  since there are people all across the board, from $5k to $100,000+. 
  • Options
    hapark11hapark11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While I was writing my above post, you included some more info.  I think $50k for 150 people around here is reasonable, though likely not enough for something totally over the top (but who really needs over the top).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll give you my #'s in case they help... Overall budget is right at $110k without Dress, HM, Rings, RD185 guests in Downtown BostonWhat did you spend on...Venue: No rental fee (Fairmont Copley Plaza)Food: $30kDrink: $18kFlowers: $4500Rentals:  $5500Photog: $3500Dress: $9900; Veil $1400; Shoes $650Church: $3300 fee (Old South Church)Rehearsal Dinner: ~ $5000Lodging: Just Bridal Suite & Grooms Suite for a few days each ~ $1600Here are some other key categories not mentioned: Lighting: $1000Entertainment: $1500Stationery: $2600Videography: $2200Gifts (BP and Ceremony Participants): $2000OOT Welcome Bags: $1200Transportaton (just one limo): $350Favors: $1000Day of Coordinator: $600BP Hair & Make up: $1500Decor - Dont have a total, but you should include this in any budgetAll of my vendors, locations, etc are in my bio. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just know that everything will be more expensive than you expect it to be... We were originally shooting for $65k based on our estimates for costs and as you can see we blew that pretty quickly once we got the real #'s in
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Venue: includedFood: 16KDrink: 3KFlowers: includedRentals: basics linens includedPhotog:500 plus cost of album which will be more than 2000Dress: 1500Church: 500Rehearsal Dinner: 2500limo: 650invites: 250?  I thinkband: DJ  1000- friend of groomcake: included but with extras 175 extras-lingerie for dress, alterations, unity candles, e-pics, favors, programs, hair and makeup  porbably lots more
  • Options
    jamidandedbjamidandedb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding was on the North Shore:Venue: 10k (included food, drink, ceremony, cake)Food:Drink:Flowers: $1kRentals: nonePhotog: 1800 including 7 albumsDress: Dress, shoes, veil, alterations - 1200Church:n/aRehearsal Dinner: IL's paid for this, but I'd have to estimate about $500???  we had a bunch of meals removed from our bill because they screwed up my order (I am celiac and they had pasta in my broccoli)Lodging: Nothing (SIL paid for it as part of our gift), but it was about $800 for our rooms for 3 nights (each had our separate rooms Thursday and friday, Saturday we had a suite)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree w/everyone's pp on how this will vary by person but here's mine- 25 minutes outside of the cityWhat did you spend on...Venue: no rental fee and includes food, cake, drinks:20kFlowers: w/chuppah for temple- 3kRentals:Photog: 500- gift from a friendDress: with alterations prob 1kChurch: temple = freeRehearsal Dinner: il's are paying but prob 1500ishLodging: free for us from the venueLimo: 650DJ:895Uplighting:500Going to spend less than 30k... hopefulyl around 28ish
  • Options
    jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can definitely have an awesome wedding in Boston or on the Cape for $50k for 150 guests.I'm haven't booked everything, so some of these are estimates based on quotes from vendors, but we have about 120 guests and are getting married in Back Bay:Venue/Food/Drink: $23kFlowers/Centerpieces: $1500Photography: $2500Dress: $2500Church: $3000Rehearsal Dinner: Not doing that, instead have pre-wedding party with all guests invited $2000Transportation: to/from prewedding party, to/from ceremony, and in between ceremony/rehearsal $4500Post Wedding Brunch: $1200DIY/Stationary: $300Haven't decided about music yet...
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • Options
    EmstarmeEmstarme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Although nothing is set in stone for me I am planning to spend between $10k-$13K including everything (beer and wine open bar, etc) with a guest list of 90 people, but about an hour outside of Boston in the Sturbridge area.
  • Options
    EmstarmeEmstarme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I should point out that I am doing a lot in order to cut costs (No limo, DIY flowers, DIY invites, etc.).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Venue: no facility fee  Food:  $15,000  Drink (open beer & wine) $6,000, Flowers  $2,000  Photographer $1800 Dress (sample sale) $1,000Church $700 (estimate)Band  $4700Linens  $300Limo  $700Invites: DIYsave the dates  $125  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a Cape wedding w/ open bar and came in under 30K-I didn't skimp on anything, I just did my homework!
  • Options
    Shazzie116Shazzie116 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For a January wedding on the South Shore, ~140 guests...Venue: Dinner, drinks, cake, tax and gratuity included in per plate price, totaling about $9,500Flowers: $1,600Photog: $1,625 before albumsDress & Veil: $600Church: $200Rehearsal Dinner: FI parents hosting at their house, catering, no idea how much $$$DJ: $750Limo: $300Paper (STD, invites, programs, etc): I am DIYing all for ~$100We got a lot of deals with the "off-season", and I am DIYing as much as possible. We haven't shopped for rings yet, and there are other costs I didn't include above (newspaper announcement, jewelry, garter, bra and crinoline, OOT bags, DIY favors, honeymoon) which add up quickly. We saved a lot by having our friend/priest celebrate the Mass for free, our friend who is an organist gifted his talents to us, as well as our friend who is a cantor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards