Massachusetts-Boston

Polaroid at reception?

Since I don't have the budget to rent a photo booth, I'm thinking about having a Polaroid camera station at the reception where guests would take a picture of themselves (or have someone else take their pic) and we'd ask them to leave a message for the bride and groom. My concern is that it could get stolen or I can see some guys getting real stupid with it ... What do you think? yay or neigh?

Re: Polaroid at reception?

• edited December 2011
    I think my sister is doing this at her wedding in a couple of weeks - but I'm not sure. I can report back as to how it went afterward! I don't see anyone in her crowd stealing a camera though... we're having a photobooth, so I know that's not going anywhere! I like the polaroid idea though, we were going to do it (were even stalking cameras/supplies on eBay) before I heard she was going to do it.
  • edited December 2011
    I know several people who have done this, my sister included, and it doubled as her guest book.Towards the end there are some silly pix, but not too bad
  • edited December 2011
    I actually really love this idea.  Honestly, it's a COOL way to have some candids in your scrapbook later! :)
    [IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/35dd952.jpg[/IMG]
  • koj2bkoj2b member
    10 Comments
    edited December 2011
    erilouboston- I am totally stalking on ebay right now. I'm sure I'm competing against a bunch of other knotties!!
  • edited December 2011
    koj - GOOD LUCK! eBay is my best friend/worst enemy! I now have FI bid on things for me because for some reason, he never loses an auction (whereas, I stay up until 2 am counting down the seconds!). Have you seen the cute guest books they make specifically for polaroids too?
  • edited December 2011
    I had a Polaroid guestbook at my wedding. The process would have ran more efficiently had the polaroid camera been on the guest book table. It was no where in sight for whatever reason. I eventually had it located. My sister went around and took photos of everyone so the guests didn't manage the camera themselves. It was helpful to have more than 1 person to oversee the process. One person takes the photos. The other person holds the photos while they develop and keeps the guestbook moving. Taking a polaroid snapshot is quick, but people tend to take longer to write heart-felt messages. Of course, you could probably get by with 1 person in charge if you didn't have to chase down every single guest, like in my case! ;) You could even have nobody in charge if you put up a clear sign, but I'm not sure everyone would know how to operate the camera and there would always be one missing person in the photo. Best to have someone oversee the process.
  • koj2bkoj2b member
    10 Comments
    edited December 2011
    erilou - oh man, now I have to stop working and look for those guestbooks! oh well. its a Friday anyway :) jeni- Thanks for the tip! Did the person overlooking the guestbook have a good time at the wedding? How long did this process take? I just want all my girls to have a good time, so I'm a little reluctant to have overseers if that means I'm taking away from their "fun time".
  • edited December 2011
    koj2b, I bought my guestbook from The Knot shop. My sister is the type of person who LOVES taking photos and making sure people are enjoying themselves so it was actually a perfect "job" for her. She like the chance to go around and talk to everyone, but that has a lot to do with her personality. I'd have to ask her how long it actually took. We only had 65 guests, and wounded up with 30 Polaroid snapshots (she said a couple guests wanted a souvenir photo for their own keeping, which was fine because I had ordered 80 exposures to be on the safe side).
  • edited December 2011
    koj - pour vous: [url]http://www.adessoalbums.com/[/url] [url]http://www.daisy-days.com/instant-polaroid-guest-book.html[/url] [url]http://www.myjeanm.com/engine.cfm?iCatID=43060&ssource=googlebase[/url] I agree with Jeni - if we were going to do this, I was going to put two of my younger cousins (21 & 23) in charge of going around, getting everyone "shot" and stuff - with my crowd, someone would've walked away with the camera within the first 10 minutes, whereupon it would have spent the entire night taking boobie and banana shots. Yeah, my crowd is fun ;)
  • koj2bkoj2b member
    10 Comments
    edited December 2011
    We have about 130guests so I guess I need couple girls overseeing this. Thanks for all the tips girls!!!! I'll update when this ebay bidding fiasco ends... ;) cross your fingers for me!!
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    2500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We're doing something similar, except that a) we're using a digital camera with an instant printer instead of a Polaroid (so we will have digital copies to use in our album, etc.), and b) we are getting volunteers to operate the "photobooth."  Each volunteer will work for only half an hour, so they will still have time to enjoy the party.  However, this will make it less likely that the camera "walks" (even accidentally), and will also mean someone is around to help guests with what to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards