Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Vendor response policy

What do you think of the vendor response policy? I am not sure how I feel about it.

Re: Vendor response policy

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's important to give both sides of the story and I think gives the Brides who post reviews a little accountability. I know I tend to get quite passionate about things, and if I know that the vendor I am posting about may be able to read it and respond to it, it might make me think a little more clearly before writing a review. Hopefully it doesn't get out of control though...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure I like it. I mean, this is a community for BRIDES (and I actually hate the fact that any vendor lurks here...).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It seems unfair that the post will be locked after the vendor responds - kind of gives the vendor the last word on things.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah, i feel like it encourages vendor lurking.  I don't mind the lurking, but I think it crosses the line when the vendor calls the bride, which I know has happened in a few cases.  On the other hand, as a vendor, you really are at the mercy of what brides post.  It makes sense when it's true, but who's to say it's not a competitor?  Of course the fact that they never posted before raises a red flag to seasoned knotties, but many of the brides booking vendors are newbies. 
  • Options
    sunshine1084sunshine1084 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'm gonna call balogna on this whole thing... It's just going to be a giant "he said, she said." I don't want to deal with people who give brides issues, period.If it's a truly great vendor, there will be no issues. They will find a way to make anything work.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agree this should be "brides only," but The Knot may actually have a legal responsibility under libel laws. Of course, any time I have seen a negative comment it is usually followed by a whole bunch more people who had the same problem, so I guess we all just need to read with care and form our own opinions. And use "rants and raves" to get more feedback.
  • Options
    freckles79964freckles79964 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it is a good idea, but the bride should be able to respond to the rebuttal instead of the post being immediately locked. It's not fair that the vendors could be slandered by anybody, including rivals posing as brides, and they can't defend themselves, but I also think the bride should have the last word.Format I would like:Brides negative reviewVendor responseLast comment from BridePost locked.
  • Options
    shagadelk7shagadelk7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I like it other than the post being locked after the vendor reasponds. However, if you think about it, if the post wasn't locked chances are it would turn into a pissing he said she said match between the vendor and the bride. Although I trust a lot of ppl on here and appreciate their vendor reviews, who knows if the brides were batshitcrazy and put the vendor through hell and therefore gave them a horrible review. There have been vendor reviews on here about particular vendors that I've used and I had a completely different experience with them, which makes me believe that the bride was difficult to work with and had unrealistic expectations.
  • Options
    L-BrideL-Bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's the responsibility of The Knot to give vendors a voice. Let them post- I bet the responses will not be welcoming.
  • Options
    eouelleteouellet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't like it. To be honest, if this policy had been in effect when I posted my vendor reviews a few days ago, I'm not sure that I would have posted. None of my reviews were particularly negative or anything, but I would not have liked the thought that the vendors could respond. I've been on these boards for over a year and a half and have hardly ever seen any downright horrible reviews that seemed slanderous. I think the boards should be kept for brides only.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agreed with most above: I really don't like that they get the last word, especially. Still--I think most vendors will stay away from the boards (I've asked a few of mine and they say they don't read--would rather not know what people had to say, even though in most cases, I know they get all raves)! I think the ones who post in some cases are going to make themselves look worse, not better--I've seen it happen on the Boston.com boards--where vendors wind up slamming brides. (Though it is true that some brides are pains in the butt and very critical--but I think those of us reading the reviews can figure that out ourselves in the context of other reviews, etc.) Hope it doesn't get ugly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Will the new rules be shown in a locked post up top? I don't like it.  If a vendor happens to read a bad review, the vendor should contact the bride offline.  This is a community of brides that share their experiences, good and bad.  I don't think a bride has ever outright lied about a vendor experience.  Just b/c she is pissy about what happened to her doesn't mean she's defaming the vendor. 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Although I don't think anyone has lied about their personal experience, I think a few times (I've been on this board for almost 3 years) that brides have had negative reviews because of their own attitudes. It's obvious if you are a crazy bride who expects unrealistic outcomes or expects your vendor to answer emails in 10 minutes and they don't, that your review is probably going to be bad. I think more vendors lurk here than everyone thinks. I think it's good for them to be able to give their side of the story. It's pretty obvious that if TK doesn't like the vendor response that it won't be posted. I think when it comes down to it, the only way the review and response will be posted when it's legit and not just a he said she said response.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's a public forum. We are as anonymous as we want to be. If we are uncomfortable with the notion of a vendor reading one of our posts and calling us to dispute.discuss/resolve the issue, then we should be more cafeul about how much personal information about our weddings (and ourselves) we divulge. I believe that vendors who are mentioned by name should have an opportunity to respond to criticism and praise. I don't agree with limiting the number of responses by either party. If we don't want the board to devolve into he said/she said's, then we need to ignore these threads and they will gradually die. On a side note, I would prefer if TK organized posts in such a way that those with the most recent responses displayed at the top of the board-- not those most recently posted (I'd like it if this were the default mode of organization). I want to see what peple are actually engaged in discussing. Those that don't get a responses will fall down the list most quickly.
    Wedding Date: January 16th, 2010

Cycle #5: BFP on June 14, 2011 -- Due Date: February 23, 2012 -- Born: February 26, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ha. I don't like this new policy.On this forum the other day, I commented negatively on a DJ's selling style and guess who came emailing me the next day. Granted, I never worked with him, but I was exposed to his sales pitch and offered my opinion based on my experience. It's their reputation on the line so I can see why they would want the chance to defend and clarify the situation. However, like eouellette mentioned, some brides might not write a full review if they felt their choice of words were being monitored. Out of courtesy and fairness, I actually gave some of my vendors a chance to correct my understanding by letting them read my negative review before posting it. Not all brides would be comfortable to do so.Most of us on here don't have the intent to be malicious. There have been mean brides out there, for a real or perceived reason. One bride completely bashed one of my vendors enough for me to turn a blind eye to that vendor. However in the end, I decided to book that vendor anyway but I appreciated knowing the types of problems I could expect and so I built it into the contract. These reviews are meant to let other brides know what they can expect as well. The new policy is insulting our intelligence. We are smart enough to identify the phony and fake brides and vendors. We don't need vendors posting on here.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Knot may actually have a legal responsibility under libel laws.Agree. If we were at a GTG, I would be giving the same honest review to you girls as I am online. I can see this coming:Bride A: "Rave/Rant on vendor X??"Bride B: "Email me for the real dirt because I can't post my thoughts online."Everyone is going to email Bride B anyway. Offline or in a private email, no vendor has a chance to defend on the spot. They ought to focus on improving their service, cultivating new relationships or asking for feedback.... not whiny about a bi*tchy bride on the Boston Knot.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This new rule is ridiculous!  These boards are supposed to be for brides ONLY.  Enough vendors lurk here already! Obviously a vendor is always going to disagree with a negative review.  For them to get the last word is insane.  I have found reviews very helpful while I've been planning the last year.  Now people are going to be even more worried about being honest.  Vendors must have complained about not being able to respond. And TheKnot probably needs to make money off these people.  Anyone know how much it is to advertise here?Vendors should not be able to post a single word on these boards!
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Scarlet856Scarlet856 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the pp. The new rule totally encourages vendor lurking... which should be discouraged. Who wants to post reviews about a horrible experience only to have the vendor have the last laugh, again at your expense.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want to say advirtising costs are about $125 a month, if I can remember correctly. (My photographer advertises on TK).
  • Options
    kates2480kates2480 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's BS! and if they are now allowing it, then people should be able to link their business (ie mary kay and such) to siggy's, b/c that is harmless IMO. b/c they (TK)made a big deal about that a few months ago and brides had to remove all their links.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's odd that Knot Anne didn't post something similar on other local boards.  Is it possible that a Boston vendor complained, and prompted this new set of rules?
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm concerned about the post being closed after the vendor responds.  As a pp commented, often one negative review is followed by a bunch of other brides complaining about the same thing with respect to the same vendor.  And this is one of the ways that the rest of us can see that the problem is not one picky bride, but a vendor that has continuing issues.  If the post is closed after the complaint and the vendor's response, there will not be as much opportunity to see those follow-up comments.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Foolforfood,  that must have been the case.Here is the link that prompted it:[url]http://talk.theknot.com/boards/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=62226755[/url]Bugs me that I can't "clarify"- since the thread is now locked. He took words from my first email, not after the many other emails when he started making judgmental comments that left a sour taste.New policy bites. Why don't we just let vendors start advertising on here, too.
  • Options
    Scarlet856Scarlet856 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Seriously Jen. That's what this forum is going to become. Every chance they get the vendors will post ending, the post will then be locked ending all meaningful conversation between as to both good and bad experiences. This forum has been a great asset in my planning process but I'm sad to say that newer brides arent going to enjoy the same honest feedback that I benefited from and that is unfortunate.  I'm going to stick to posting reviews in my bio following my wedding. Lock that knot!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jeni, I assumed that the DJ did some convenient copy and paste job that left out quite a lot of context.  To be honest, his rebuttal makes him sound like a used car salesmen.  DJs get a bad rap for being slimy and this DJ in partic is just making it worse for his colleagues.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lisa, thank you. I hope a particular DJ is still lurking. He proved my point for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards