New York-Hudson Valley

Inexpensive venue search

hi all!

I recently got engaged and am starting to look at venues. My goal is to spend 100 or less per person, including fees. I'm willing to do a Friday or Sunday wedding or to limit the alcohol or to just have a heavy h'ordeurves reception (although it doesn't seem like anyone does that in NY)

I'd prefer to have an outdoor wedding but I'm not tied to that.
Have any of you held or been to a wedding in late April or early November? Is it too cold for an outdoor wedding at those times? How is the foliage or flowers in those months?

I am from NYC, but live in Richmond now so I'm trying to make a list of venues for a future visit. Here are some of the venues I am considering:

The grandview
The river view
Patriot hills
Catlin gardens
Mountain view manor
Le chateau
Doubletree in tarrytown
FEAST at round hill
Villa Borghese

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Inexpensive venue search

• LissyM83LissyM83 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fountainhead in New Rochelle
    Westchester Manor

**these don't have much of an outdoor area but are under the $100/pp price range**
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

The outdoor space at Patriot Hills is very pretty. I just got married there and was very happy with it. I believe you can get married there on a Fri or Sun and stay under 100/pp. They have several packages, and one is an cocktail reception. I think it's called "The Wedding of the New Millenium", but I am not positive. I wanted to go with that package but my husband wanted a sit down dinner. All of their food was delicious, but my favorite was the cocktail hour!

• kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_inexpensive-venue-search?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:cee16cb3-f0dc-4fcb-bea7-23947f92d29ePost:79d6a505-77c1-4766-b26b-01c7939c7cfe">Re: Inexpensive venue search</a>:
    [QUOTE]The outdoor space at Patriot Hills is very pretty. I just got married there and was very happy with it. I believe you can get married there on a Fri or Sun and stay under 100/pp. They have several packages, and one is an cocktail reception. I think it's called "The Wedding of the New Millenium", but I am not positive. I wanted to go with that package but my husband wanted a sit down dinner. All of their food was delicious, but my favorite was the cocktail hour!
    Posted by Shari16[/QUOTE]

On a Sunday you might be able to stay under 100 with fees, but I know that you can't for a Friday with the traditional sit down menu. Our price per person was $7 cheaper than the going rate back in 2008 (we paid 78pp) when we booked because they misquoted us, and with fees we came out to 99 and change. Maybe if you do the cocktail type reception you could keep it under 100 on a Friday.

That said, I absolutely loved everyone at Patriot Hills, and they did a phenomenal job. I really can't say enough good things about them.

You can probably cross the grandview off your list - it will definitely be more than 100pp with fees for a traditional reception.

We were married 11/6. In 2009, it would have been way too cold to have an outdoor ceremony. However, for the 2 years before that it was much warmer. One year it was mid-80s I believe. Highly unusual but not out of the question. You could always plan for an outdoor but be very prepared to have to move it inside.
    imageimageimage
  • rachael7183rachael7183 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at the Doubletree, I got her down to $85 per person on a Saturday night - - (minus a carving station), after tax it is $100pp
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I got married @ Catlin Gardens in 2009 and i believe they had a limited package for $99.00 a person(not including fee's & taxes though).Im not sure if the prices have gone up or not but i def recommend them.The place was beautiful and they did everything possible to make sure my wedding day was perfect.

• carolsdaycarolsday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi , I'm getting married at villa Barone Hilltop Manor in mahopac  (in 11 days !! ) but i know for sure with your flexibility you can get that price . you should check out their website too , their property is gorgeous VillaBaroneHilltop.com , good luck !
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_inexpensive-venue-search?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:cee16cb3-f0dc-4fcb-bea7-23947f92d29ePost:d9f46992-2506-41d0-b893-e7deb74e09da">Re: Inexpensive venue search</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Inexpensive venue search : good things about them. You can probably cross the grandview off your list - it will definitely be more than 100pp with fees for a traditional reception. Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

This is true. We paid approximately $105 pp with fees for our Grandview reception, and that was on a Thursday night (Friday was a holiday). The Grandview was absolutely wonderful, and I highly recommend it, but it may not fit your budget. However, I did see that they're offering a 20% discounts now for Jan/Feb/March weddings, but that would mean you would have to give up having it outdoors.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Rolling Greens it is affiliated with the grandview and the grand and the other sister sites. For a Friday wedding in August with taxes and fees we were quoted $86.00 for ceremony, coctail hour, sit down dinner, and open bar. It is a country club so the grounds are beautiful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ssagessage member
    edited December 2011
    Check out The Links at Unionvale...they have a tone of new packages since I go married and they are great values.  The staff there is excellent.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • brttny607brttny607 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out the Villa Borghese. I'm having mine on a Saturday and it's about a 100/pp. I know you can get it for even less for a Friday/Sunday wedding! They also have a space outside for a ceremony as well!
  • edited December 2011
    Not sure what you are looking for. All of those places are great. All inclusive packages are convenient. If youre looking for something a little off the beaten path check out mt gulian. they have a gorgeous barn and an old historic house with  large porches for all to hang out on. bridgecreek catering will work with you as far as food goes and if you are plannign on doing a heavy hor doerves they can definitely get you under 100 per person. I bet it would be about 85 if that including alcohol. They are flexible and will work to order with you. The venue is 3800 to rent but your pictures will be amazeballs. Good luck :)
  • woodfrogswoodfrogs member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Lippincott Manor. We're going to a wedding there on Sat. The bride told me they got a great deal and it was def under $100
  • tstegertsteger member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Also try the Colonial Inn in Norwood NJ.  I was just in a wedding on a Saturday in July for $85 pp
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Chalet on the Hudson.  It's on 9D in Cold Spring & over looks the Hudson River and Storm King Mountain....the food there is amazing!
  • edited December 2011
    the mansion at colonial terrace has packages under 100 for both friday and saturday.  beautiful gardens and lots of flexibility.
  • nic9911nic9911 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_inexpensive-venue-search?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:cee16cb3-f0dc-4fcb-bea7-23947f92d29ePost:23e270be-8a04-4ef7-a74b-e0bb440e0667">Re: Inexpensive venue search</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got married @ Catlin Gardens in 2009 and i believe they had a limited package for $99.00 a person(not including fee's & taxes though).<strong>Im not sure if the prices have gone up or not but i def recommend them.The place was beautiful and they did everything possible to make sure my wedding day was perfect.
    </strong>Posted by Jenni83[/QUOTE]

we seriously considered having our wedding there. We went to look last year, the place is great but it is now over 100.00 per head. I am thinking somewhere in the 120 without fees? beautiful venue
    imagetotes-your call/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_inexpensive-venue-search?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:cee16cb3-f0dc-4fcb-bea7-23947f92d29ePost:e96cf77d-056a-4450-8f1d-6dd79282ef68">Re: Inexpensive venue search</a>:
    [QUOTE]Check out the Villa Borghese. I'm having mine on a Saturday and it's about a 100/pp. I know you can get it for even less for a Friday/Sunday wedding! They also have a space outside for a ceremony as well!
    Posted by brttny607[/QUOTE]

we got married may 2010 at the villa borghese on a Friday night, and it was about $90/person including tax and gratuity.  They have a nice outdoor area as well, I think early november may be too cold though
  • betny02betny02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding once at Shadows on the Hudson in Poughkeepsie. They had all hor'dorves and then just dessert. Just make sure you tell your guests that is what is happening...we didnt know!
  • minionloverminionlover member
    edited December 2011
    You can also try Christo's in Poughkeepsie.  I had my first wedding there and they were extremely reasonable.  It was $90pp and that included taxes and tip.  There were no other fees like cake cutting or anything like that.  It included having shrimp and escargot for apps ( along with 16 others), filet mignon for dinner, and strawberries and cream for dessert, (along with just about everything else).  This was in 2007 so the prices may have changed since then, but you may still want to check them out.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • mrssantos07mrssantos07 member
    edited December 2011

I had my wedding reception at The Riverview in November 2007.  We got married on a sunday and our package was under $60 pp, including premium open bar and our amazing cake from Domenics Pastry shop.  They are really pleasant to work with, just good people.  My aunt just got engaged and she is seriously considering using them, I believe the same package has gone up about $10.  If you call ask for Natalie, she helped us. 

Dalilah

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards