Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Bridesmaids paying for hair

Hi Everyone!

I am trying to figure out if I should pay for all of my bridesmaids to get their hair done or should I ask them to pay for themselves? It's going to be $65 per person. I have a few bridesmaids who are traveling from out of state and some who are still in school and don't have a lot of money. Is it rude for me to ask for everyone to pay?

Thanks!

Re: Bridesmaids paying for hair

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It's not rude to say "I'm sorry, but I can't afford to pay for everyone to get their hair done for my wedding. I will have a hair person coming and she charges $65, so if you'd like to have her do your hair, let me know."  In a nutshell, if you want them to pay, having their hair done by your hair person shouldn't be mandatory.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're requesting that they have their hair done then you need to pay for them.  If you don't want to pay for them then you have to let them decide if they want to get their hair done or not.

I wanted all of my BMs to have their hair and makeup done so I'm paying for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree w/PPs. I basically sent out an email saying: this is where I'm making appointments for those who want to have their hair done, it's where I'll be getting mine done. Please let me know if you want an appointment for hair, makeup or both by X date. It wasn't framed as a requirement, just let them know that I'd be happy to make their appointment if they wanted. 

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!
  • Options
    Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My girls and I decided on a style (curled pony-tail) and I told them that there would be a hair person there if they wanted to use them, but to feel free to do their own hair and make-up.  I put a good chunk of money towards the hair and makeup person so the cost was minimal if they did choose to use them.

A few of my girls are hairdressers and did their own hair.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I paid for my gals to all have their hair/make-up done as a courtesy, as they already had to pay for flights/hotel.  I thought it would be a nice treat for them.  However, it was not my "gift" to them, I gave them other things as well.

Anniversary Visit The Nest! my read shelf:
    Margot's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I told my girls they could do whatever they wanted for their hair.  Then I offered to have a stylist come to the hotel to do them *if* they wanted to have their hair done.  3 out of 4 wanted it and paid for it themselves, the other did her own.

If they hadn't wanted to have theirs done, I would have just gone to a salon with my sister to have my hair done myself.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    All I asked was that they put their hair up, so they looked somewhat uniform. Some of them paid my stylist and had their hair done by her and some did their own and they all looked great and well-done. I was surprised at how well the girls did who chose to do their own, they really put in some effort and they all looked great in the end. It actually worked out really well considering I had six bridesmaids- it would have taken a really long time for the stylist to do all of them AND me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had 2 hair dressers come to our hotel and told my girls it'd be x amount if they wanted it done. They were able to get whatever style they wanted and everyone ended up paying for their own hair.

I paid for their makeup though.
  • Options
    rachmezzrachmezz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I was a BM in my friend's wedding last year.  I was the only BM who traveled from out of state and I was taking classes.  We all paid for our own hair and makeup.  She never outright said we would have to pay but it was implied.  I honestly didn't mind - she said we didn't have to use the makeup artist if we didn't want to (I didn't, but only because she was really slow and we were running out of time.  If there was more time I would have totally paid for it).  My friend didn't care how we did our hair either.  I think as long as you let them know what's expected you won't have a problem!  If you're going to have the girls pay for the services themselves, it might be a good idea to let them pick how they wear their hair, etc.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I paid for my girls to get their hair done and they covered the tip.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've always paid to have my own hair and nails done for the weddings I have been in.  Like PP, I told my girls that I'd be happy to make them appointments when I made mine, and they all wanted to.  I have been in the weddings for 2 of my 3 bridesmaids, so it makes it pretty easy to ask them to do stuff since I did it for them :)  I have actually asked for less for myslef than I did for them (totally by choice...not a complaint).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards