New York-Hudson Valley
Options

NWR: question about dining room tables

I know that this is probably more of a nest question, but figured I'd start here first.

How many people do you plan for when you purchase dining room furniture?

DH and I are shopping and having a hard time finding something that is perfect. But we found a bunch of table and chair sets that could work.

But last night, we found a beautiful set. The problem is that it only extends to 84". It comes with 6 chairs, and we would buy 2 extra - but the table would only fit 8 people.

I have a big family. I would like to be able to have everyone over for dinner at some point - but for everyone I would need a table and chairs for 27 people!

So I'm not worrying about that right now.

But, for the more likely groupings, it's anywhere from 4 to 17. With half being 8 or less, and then 75% being 13 or less.

What size table would you go with? How many chairs? Or would you get a table to fit how many people?

Right now I'm debating between the 8 table or one that holds 12?

Thanks in advance!

Re: NWR: question about dining room tables

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it would depend on how much room I had in my apt/house. And from what you are saying I think the table for 8 might be enough because most likely you can squeeze about 10 in there. If not try to see if there is a table for 10.
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    BellaSposa223BellaSposa223 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I just bought our dinning room set for 8 people but that's with the leaf extended. So it's 6 without the leaf. To have both of our families over just mom's, dad, step-dad, sister and uncle plus us it will be 8 people all together. For anyone else, we're gonna have to get a folding table and some chairs.

Terri- were you at Bob's?
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Jennifer - we have room to fit a sixteen person table! lol! Seriously, the room is 15 x 15, with the carpeted area being 9x15, so we have the room. And you are probably right, We could probably squeeze 10 people at that table.

Jaimie - We went to Bobs and found 3 sets, one I like, one Joe likes, and one we are both ok with. They go as large as 96 or 100 inches and easily seat 10 people. But I was actually at Raymour and Flanigan last night when we found this (smaller) set.

I'm just right now wondering, do we buy for 8 or do we buy for 12?

Obviously, if we have more we'd use a card table and folding chairs, but knot sure how many to plan on for when we buy.

• Options
    BellaSposa223BellaSposa223 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd buy for what room allows. My mom's set is for 8 and we always have to bring some folding chairs upstairs or the kids (yes, in our 20's, we're still considered kids lol) we sit at the table in the kitchen on the other side of the wall.
  • Options
    probablykateprobablykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you know you are going to be entertaining large groups at least once a year, I would try to find out that expands to fit 12 if you can.  BUT if you find one that is perfect but only seats 10... can you find a nice looking card table or something similar that you would be happy regularly using (maybe even a nice wood table that would go in the corner when you don't need it)?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Biggest mistake of our home decorating lives: buying furniture at Bob's.
    Don't. Do. It.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kristin - why? details please! (send a pm if you want)

(my apartment bedroom set was from Bob's and is fine. It was with me for two years in my apartment and is now at my parents vacation home)

To everyone - we decided to go look for a table that will seat 12. (Even if we only get 8 matching chairs and 4 folding chairs, at least everyone will be at the same table) When I sat and broke down the numbers, 11 is what we can reasonably expect for dinner on a Sunday night if we have over my parents and local siblings and DH's parents and brother. Basically the local family without going to extended family. So when I realized that, I knew I'd be disappointed pretty quick with a table that held less.

Looked at Bob's and Raymour and Flanigan again. Three potentioal sets at Bob's. Two at Raymour and Flanigan. (None at Millspagh or at the R&F ckearance center.) Still want to look at Davis and Starr's Oak.

I'll keep you all updated!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Def keep us updated, can i just say that i'm super jealous you have the room for a table that big!!!  We don't have a formal dining room.  Luckily we do have an area for our kitchen table which holds 4 regular and like 6ish with the leaf.

We recently had ppl over for my DH's birthday, itwas 10 ppl, we had our kitchen table with the leaf, plus a card table we have!!  I said omg the max we can fit is 10 because after that we even run out of chairs! We had to use two of those rolling computer chairs, hehehe.  And that made is really difficult to get into our galley kitchen. 
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Photobucket image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chris - I wish I had a formal dining room! It would make it so much easier!

The kitchen and dining room is 15x15. The tile (kitchen part) is 6x15, so the
    walkable area is about 3' after subtracting out the appliances. The remaining part is carpeted 9x15.

So its one room which will act as kitchen and dining room. Yeah, it's larger than my moms and sisters, but they at least have a table in their kitchens and then a separate dining room.

I have the one space and have to find a table that works! (Part of me kinda wishes I had 2 spaces)

This is much more difficult than I originally thought!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also know a few people who bought couches with Bobs and had so many issues with them. And do not listen to the sales person about their extended warranty thing. It doesn't cover any damages done by a pet or what not. You deal with a separate company for the warranty not Bobs.
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards