New York-Hudson Valley

its been awhile...

I was just wondering, what is an appropriate gift ($) to give for weddings nowadays. I have not been to one in quite awhile!

Re: its been awhile...

• Well, I recommend checking out the registry first. If that doesn't work/you want to give money...think about your relationship to the couple. I heard something about $100/person invited to a wedding being a fair gift I don't know about that.
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • I personally feel that the registry is strictly for the bridal shower/engagement parties, etc.  You have figure that its only right to cover your plate at the wedding.  Most places range from $100-$150 per plate.  If we are close with the people we usually leave $300 as a couple...but I defintely would not go to a wedding leave less than $200 per couple...do the right thing...for my fiance and I, we are spending $125 per person at our wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Its whatever you can afford.  If you can afford to give $200+ and feel that that is appropriate go for it.  Don't break the bank for a gift.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • kimberlygokimberlygo member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_its-been-awhile?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:d9cef2b6-3035-4543-be8b-f3245102d406Post:d5eac707-2be4-4781-aec2-fe5b1a4e0228">Re: its been awhile...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Its whatever you can afford.  If you can afford to give $200+ and feel that that is appropriate go for it.  Don't break the bank for a gift.
    Posted by Cathyl7910[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't know who decided that that you must cover your plate at a wedding, but when I first started working I was making less than $30K a year and could not afford to cover my plate.  I have some friends who are paying a lot of money to travel to my wedding and I'd rather have them buy a plane ticket and come than not come because they cannot cover their plate on top of their additional expenses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards