Massachusetts-Boston

Columbus day wknd-sunday weddings?

I am torn about choosing my future wedding date...we were going to book sun. 10/7, before monday columbus day. But the more we thought about it we figured that not everyone has that holiday off, it's a sunday...would people's energy level be as high as opposed to a sat. wedding? We just dont' want people to leave early. We could go with 10/13 the next sat. but not sure I want to wait another week, risk the weather/foliage season etc. Any suggestions? Help!

Re: Columbus day wknd-sunday weddings?

• edited December 2011
    Ultimately, it's your choice, however, as someone who works on Columbus day, I would be one to chose either a Saturday or Sunday afternoon wedding. Sunday evening might be too much for those who have to work the next day. Then again, if they know enough in advance, people could always ask for time off.

I am having mine on a Friday evening. Making it so people can leave work early :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 May Siggy Challenge: The invitations
    image 126 Are ready to party!
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting Sunday, October 9th this year.  Our ceremony starts at 12:30 and the reception will end at 7:00 PM.  It works out for most guests because they can leave early enough to get home at a decent hour for work.  For those that will be traveling, they will still be home at a reasonable hour.  

There are friends and family who will be traveling to our wedding, but will make it a mini-vacation by coming up a few days early.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    157 image Invited guests
    73image Will be celebrating with us!
    81 image Would rather look at our wedding photo album and/or video
    3 image Making me wait

RSVP Date September 18, 2011
  • noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm personally not a fan of Sunday Columbus day weekends.  A lot of people don't get it off and will likely leave early.  If I do have it off, it sucks that it is smack dab in the middle of a long weekend.  I'd go with October 13.  Saturdays are way better for weddings and I actually think the foliage will be better.  My friend got married on Oct 18 last year and the foliage was at peak for her wedding (in the Belmont, MA).
  • edited December 2011
    I got married on the Sunday before Columbus day of last year and we had no issues with people not attending because of work. The people who really want to be there will take the day off if necessary, especially if they have enough notice. We had a lot of OOT guests and it still wasn't an problem. We had people on the dance floor until the last dance.

We chose an earlier date in October because of the weather. The almanac shows that the chances of a warm day are higher earlier in October.

One thing to keep in mind: a Sunday wedding is usually a bit cheaper but most venues won't discount on a Sunday before a holiday.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am also not a huge fan of the Sunday Columbus Day wedding.  I would go with the October 13th date.  Also, I don't know you if you are having any OOT folks, but Columbus day is not celebrated across the US.  I know that my family/friends in WA state certainly do not get that day off, no matter where they work.
    Anniversary Visit The Nest! my read shelf:
    Margot's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    I think you need to do what is best for you and your fiance. You might get a better deal on a Sunday. If people want to come to your wedding and party it up they will take the day off to celebrate with you. I'm getting married labor day weekend and lots of people are making it a mini vacation.  Good luck in your decision.
  • rsmiles77rsmiles77 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone...was a tough decision but we decided on sun. 10/7/12...it is my parents wedding anniversary plus we originally wanted columbus day wknd and were hesitant to choose the "13th" lol....it is what it is. We will go with it!
  • blaharnblaharn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a Sunday wedding on April 3rd. We got an amazing deal (I don't think you would get the same over a holiday weekend, though). It ended up working out great. About half of our guests were OOT and came without a compaint. Our reception ended at 9PM so people could go home if they wanted, but most stayed and came to the after party at the hotel. It was great because we had Saturday to relax and spend with guests before the rehearsal and dinner. I wouldn't have done it any other way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My wedding was on 10/10/10- last year's Columbus Day weekend and a Sunday. We had a Jewish wedding so it was a must for us to have it on a Sunday.

We made sure the reception was over by 9 so that everyone, who had the work the next day, could leave at a somewhat reasonable hour. Yes we had some guests leave early but almost all of our guests stayed until the very end.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards