New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Catholic church for Sunday wedding

Hi -
has anyone who was married on a Sunday had the ceremony in a Catholic church?  Have you had to do the ceremony in the late afternoon after normal masses are over or do you know of any churches that could accomodate a morning ceremony?  Any thoughts / help would be appreciated.

thanks much!

Re: Catholic church for Sunday wedding

• Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I can't imagine you would find any where you could do the ceremony before 1pm. There are so many morning masses, there isn't enough time in between at most churches.
    I have attended a Sunday church wedding, the ceremony was at 3 or 4.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    wdubin122wdubin122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm Jewish so I don't really know these things but I remember being at a Catholic wedding where they included the mass with the ceremony.  I remember because I was really offended because the priest was talking about how immoral divorce was and then went on to talk about abortion.  I almost walked out of the church in the middle of it.
  • Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_catholic-church-sunday-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:e3a1722b-1200-4fbc-a67b-1e1cf9b98974Post:a1d3b22c-a97d-4f65-875c-f074fb3249c4">Re: Catholic church for Sunday wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm Jewish so I don't really know these things but I remember being at a Catholic wedding <strong>where they included the mass with the ceremony</strong>.  I remember because I was really offended because the priest was talking about how immoral divorce was and then went on to talk about abortion.  I almost walked out of the church in the middle of it.
    Posted by wdubin122[/QUOTE]

That's common and has nothing to do with the wedding being on Sunday or not. We had a full mass on a Friday night.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As far as getting married on a Sunday in a Catholic Church - some will, some won't.

My church clearly states in their wedidng handbook that they don't do Sunday weddings. However, my husbands church would have. We ended up with a Saturday afternoon weddng at mine.

Anyway, each individual parish can decide if they want to hold weddings on Sundays.

But if you find one that will do them, you probably won't be able to have a Sunday morning wedding because that's when mass is going on! lol!

(But most will usually do a Saturday morning weddng)

Back to Sunday - if you find a church that will have your sunday wedding at a time that you are ok with, you will more than likely have to use that Sundays readings for your ceremony (if you are having a full mass) Like pp mentioned the readings for that day were probably talking about divorce. So that's why it ended up being discussed in the homily.

You can look at the calendar for that sundays readings. If you want a sunday, you can plan for one with "good" readings.
    http://www.usccb.org/nab/

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for all the feedback - confirming what i thought. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards