New York-Hudson Valley

Favorite New Rochelle / Glen Island Venues?

Hey there,
   I am just recently engaged... and my fiance and I are planning a spring 2011 wedding and are interested in the waterfront venues in the New Rochelle / Glen Island area.  It will be a Portuguese / Italian wedding, so great food and LOTS of it are a must!  haha :)  Can you please give me your opinions?  Thanks!

Re: Favorite New Rochelle / Glen Island Venues?

• edited December 2011
    I'm not sure about any of the lower westchester venues (We didn't look there).

But I wanted to say congratulations on your recent engagement and welcome to the Hudson Valley board!

I am also Portuguese and my fiance is Italian!
  • edited December 2011
    VIP, Glen Island Harbor Club, Surf Club, Greentree Country Club
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Terri!  :)  I'm super excited.  But picking the Venue seems to be the hardest part.  We arent ruling out upper Westchester county either.  It's just that most of our family and friends live in lower Westchester.  I have been thinking about a few venues so far....The Fountainhead, the V.I.P Country Club in New Rochelle, Marina Del Ray in the Bronx and Villa Barone in the Bronx.  All come highly recommended by Portuguese/Italian family and friends.
  • edited December 2011
    I love the fountainhead once your inside but I think that the location when you pull up to the venue is very unappealing. Plus, if you are looking for waterfront, this is a definite no. That beign said, they have great service and pricing.  Don't know anything about Marina Del Ray or Villa Barone. I think Greentree is highly overrated and that outside of the venue is a real eyesore, but you get great bang for your buck and the manager is very nice. I hate Surf Club. The manager is a total deuche-bag. Super arrogant and rude and they are not at all flexible or negotiable. I got married at the VIP, so obviously I'm biased, but I loved it there, had a fantastic experience and I highly highly recommend it. Feel free to ask me any quetions you want about VIP.

I also strongly considered Glen Island and fell in LOVE with that venue. Spectacular views, amazing food, and the people are easy to work wtih. At the end of the day, we went to VIP because they gave us an incredible deal.
  • edited December 2011
    I looked into many of the places  you are mentioning.  Happy to fill you in on specific details with what they were willing to include.  I looked at VIP, Beckwithe Point, Marina del Rey, Greentree, Glen Island.  Wound up going with Florentine Gardens in Jersey, but loved VIP, Glen Island and Marina del Rey.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_favorite-new-rochelle-glen-island-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:e4cf3e34-f622-4924-9951-e5f5925cce12Post:3b3d9dba-5e32-453c-a53e-1da3fb8a9749">Re: Favorite New Rochelle / Glen Island Venues?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I. I hate Surf Club. The manager is a total deuche-bag. Super arrogant and rude and they are not at all flexible or negotiable.Posted by sjsphish[/QUOTE]
    that's interesting since they've been nothing but awesome with us. maybe it was your attitude?
  • BellaSposa223BellaSposa223 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ladies,

Please do not be snarky with one another. All people's experiences are different with vendors and it's unacceptable to bash someone's experience was different than yours. Please do not make me take further action.

Jaimie

• edited December 2011
    Hey! Congratulations...I am planning a summer 2011 wedding myself with all those places in mind! My family is actually going to Beckwithe Point tonight for a tasting, I will let you know how that goes. Also there are a lot of people on here getting married at the Villa Barone (Mahopac), and as I hear it they have great deals! Also, SJSPHISH....what were the prices like with VIP they wouldn't talk to me over the phone and I live in South Carolina so it is really hard to get an idea. If you don't mind sharing that would be awesome.
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats!! I just booked The Greentree Country Club for my October 2011 reception, I love it... fantastic food, large space but not catering-hall-y beautiful ballroom. I worked with Larry there and he's fantastic. They are super flexible and able to accommodate anything you want. 

Good Luck!
    October 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We priced a Saturday night in November at the VIP.  Including the seafood raw bar at the cocktail hour, having the ceremony there and including tax and tip it came to $202 a head.  It was the highest priced place we looked at.  I liked the place, didn't love the consultant I was working with.  He was the reason we ruled out VIP.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Also, SJSPHISH....what were the prices like with VIP they wouldn't talk to me over the phone and I live in South Carolina so it is really hard to get an idea. If you don't mind sharing that would be awesome.

Principesa. For a friday night on November I negotiated a rate of $120 pp which included everything except tip.
  • jeanna85jeanna85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Funny, when I priced VIP it was much cheaper than Florentine Gardens for a Saturday night in May. I think sometimes peoples experiences differ a lot based on what kind of minimum you can promise, what extras you want, etc.

When I went to Surf Club I was immediately turned off by the tacky decor, and the fact that they were 5 months behind on renovations at the time. They guy we talked to there even admited that there are some terrible reviews of their "italian"-inspired food online. I also know people who have had their wedding there and loved it. Everyone's different I suppose.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    My experience with the Surf Club manager was, that I called him  two times and he never called me back, so that made me go somewhere else because I was eager to book.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    yea i had the same experience with surf club unfortunately :(
  • edited December 2011
    I'm really leaning towards Glen Island for my July 2012 wedding. The only thing I don't like about it is the carpet in the ballroom, and the slightly wedding-factory vibe. But Glen island is by far the classiest joint in New Rochelle that I've seen. Greentree is a joke, when we got out of the car, there was a USED DIAPER in the parking lot. The house is old, plain, in serious need of some glamoring up, and the ballrooms are really boring looking. The owner is really nice though, so I am sure you can get a lot of bang for your buck there.

The Surf Club was way gaudy, over the top, and totally not my style. I didn't get the sense that the person I spoke to was rude, but it wouldn't surprise me if they would be once they get your money.

I am also looking at Onteora Mountain House, Gurney's Inn out on Montauk, Round Hill House. Does anyone else have other suggestions for similar type venues in LI or Hudson Valley? My budget is about $130 per person...

and that's my 2C. :)
  • edited December 2011

Thanks everyone for all your help...  I'm starting to love this site! :)
    So I booked appointments for this weekend at V.I.P, Marina Del Rey, Villa Barone (Bronx), and The Fountainhead.  I have spoken to a friend of the family who just recently got married and she said that Marina del Rey was the most expensive place (though the nicest) and she was quoted at $190+ per head WITHOUT tax and tip!  Her requirement, like mine, is a great cocktail hour with several serving stations... an almost top of the line cocktail hour.  Our culture is big on food and lots of it, so it is the most important criteria for me.  Not so much getting married on the water and the scenery.  What's important is the quality and quantity of food!  Thats why I decided to check out the venues mentioned above....I hear that they are known for their food.

• lauraNkieranlauraNkieran member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We were married at the Greentree so I  think you know what my vote would be lol.

We did check out Marina Del Ray but I didn't like the layout of the room and they offer your party donuts as a parting snack and to me the place reaked of donuts when we walked in.  BUT that's just me ... if you like them they were just as flexible with us as the Greentree were.  I didn't go far in the negotiations with them b/c they weren't want we were looking for.

Problem with spring is that you're in peak season so you're definately doing to have a higer price per head starting off.  We were mid march and b/c it was *just* a tad before peak season started we were able to negotiate a great deal.  AND we ended up with THE MOST beautiful day weather wise.

• kfsped23kfsped23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey All!

I am getting married at Marina Del Rey in the Bronx.  The main guy gave us a great deal! I've also attended weddings there and the food is out of this world!  7 choices of an entree, and an hour and a half cocktail.  The outside is great for pictures and everything is included in the price... valet, cocktail, food, tips, tax, etc.  I'm having a great experience there!  Good luck to you! 
  • gigili007gigili007 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello Brides,

I would like to know any brides have there wedding at Glen Island Harbour Club? Please let me know what you think of it? Thanks so much for all any suggestion.

1. Price?
    2. People?
    3. Afternoon or Evening better?
    4. Flower?
    5. Other? View, Ceremony reception?
    6. Room?
    7. Sept. 2011

• edited December 2011
    Gigil007....I just booked the glen island harbour club for a thursday night wedding in july 2011! I'm from canada, and my fiancee is from the bronx, so choices were hard! I had to do all my "shopping" online!  We visited VIP, Greentree, Beckwithe Pointe, Surf Club, Chateau La Mer (long isl), and The Fountainhead. If ANYONE has pricing questions, I have all of it here with me!!

The staff at Glen Island blew me away. My coordintenator is Jack (the manager). He air mailed a thank you letter the day we just visited the place (i got the letter when I returned home!!). Their attention to detail made us realize for the slightly higher price, we wont have anything at all to worry about on our day. The views are breathtaking..best in westchester. If you're flexable with the day you can get amazing deals..sat afternoons are decent!
  • petunalenopetunaleno member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just booked my wedding at the surf club and im in love with it!!! Everyone that works there is sooo nice so far!!
  • nycshorty2nycshorty2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are in the middle of booking as well and are undecided between the Marina del Rey and VIP. VIP has a stronger menu and Marina del Rey is a prettier location. They are both priced the same (we are looking at a Sunday wedding and we were quoted $105 plus plus). VIP's maitre d tip is not included in the price.

Greentree- Hated it. The GM is super creepy and the place is out dated. There were stains on the carpet in the cocktail hour room and overall was turned off. It is very inexpensive.

Beckwith Point- $100 plus plus on a Sunday. Nice facility but it smelled incredibly musty.

Fountainhead- Heard the food is great but not as pretty as other venues.

Villa Barone- Food is good. Manager was a bit cold until he learned my fiance was Portguese and then he warmed up. There are 4 tiers of pricing. Marina del rey is much prettier though.

So from others experience, would u go with VIP or Marina del Rey? The food is really important to his family but the atmosphere is really important to me.
  • mmjam115mmjam115 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was contemplating booking at Beckwith Point because we were offered an incredible deal.  Although it wasn't my favorite venue, I thought it looked nice due to lots of windows and could be dressed up with some flowers and lots of candles.  Does anyone have any reviews that's been to an event here?  So nervous to sign a contract for a ton of money without first hand reviews!! 
  • mmjam115mmjam115 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was contemplating booking at Beckwith Point because we were offered an incredible deal.  Although it wasn't my favorite venue, I thought it looked nice due to lots of windows and could be dressed up with some flowers and lots of candles.  Does anyone have any reviews that's been to an event here?  So nervous to sign a contract for a ton of money without first hand reviews!! 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_favorite-new-rochelle-glen-island-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:e4cf3e34-f622-4924-9951-e5f5925cce12Post:f260ddda-037b-4eef-ae7b-8c109c5ce061">Re: Favorite New Rochelle / Glen Island Venues?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello Brides, I would like to know any brides have there wedding at Glen Island Harbour Club? Please let me know what you think of it? Thanks so much for all any suggestion. 1. Price? 2. People? 3. Afternoon or Evening better? 4. Flower? 5. Other? View, Ceremony reception? 6. Room? 7. Sept. 2011
    Posted by gigili007[/QUOTE]

I am getting married at Glen Island in September- I obviously think it is the best place LOL

1. Price - the starting price was $160 but we added a lot of extras
    2. People- we have been dealing with Sandy who used to be the manager at Fountainhead (same owners) and he has been nothing but excellent.
    3. Afternoon or Evening better- I prefer evening- our cocktail hour starts at 7 then we added the extra hour for the Venetian hour so it goes to 1am!
    4. Flower - We chose Arcadia- at first I was annoyed that I had to use their house florists, but they have been great as well.
    5. Other? View, Ceremony reception- we are having a church ceremony.
    6. Room- Terrace Room- whenever I tell my vendros that we are having the reception here, they all say it is the prettiest room in Westchester county!
    7. Sept. 2011 - We are September 24th 2011 - It was the last date in Sept they had available on a Saturday when we booked in January.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just wanted to say thank you all for putting so much detail in your responses. It has been extremely helpful to me as I am searching for venues and trying to get something affordable and classy. Thanks!
  • I am also looking into VIP & Glen Harbour as wedding venues for a Summer, 2013 wedding. I have spoken to people who have been to Glen Harbour but we have not yet met anyone who has been to a wedding at VIP so we are a little nervous. I am Italian and my fiance is Portuguese, so of course food is very important! I'll take any personal experiences of either of these places...Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards