Massachusetts-Boston

Do NOT book your wedding with Maxwell Silverman's / Union Station!

My fiance and I wanted a unique venue for our wedding. At first we were thinking of the barn setting but quickly found out that most of those venues in the MA area were already booked up for next fall. After researching, I came up with Union Station in Worcester. Having grown up in the Worcester area, I knew what the station looked like, saw pictures online, and gave a call to get some more information.
The first time I called, I spoke with the General Manager Alex. He was short and to the point (yes our date was available, $x was the rental fee, $x was the deposit) so I thought, FInally! We found our venue!
I called back several times over the next few weeks to ask simple questions: Can I come meet with you to take a tour, sign a contract, etc? Can you please send me the menu options? I didn't think these phone calls were out of the ordinary or annoying... I need more information.
Well finally last Wednesday, I called to schedule an appointment with Alex and his "assistant" Vicky told me that I needed to speak directly with Alex to schedule the appointment so she put him on the phone. We agreed that 2pm on Saturday would work for both of us and I hung up the phone.
I was looking forward to getting out there on Saturday, showing J what the venue looked like and signing the contract. Everything else would fall into place but without the venue, I was stuck. So at 12:30pm on Saturday, we got into the car and headed west.
We arrived 20 minutes early, no big deal, and started looking around. At 2pm, Alex was nowhere to be found. We gave him a call on his cell and he didn't answer plus his voicemail was full. Not going well so far. When he finally arrived 20 minutes late, he acted as if he had no idea that we were coming. He asked what he could help us with (Um, a wedding?! Hadn't we just spoken on the phone 3 days before?!) and told us to have a seat at the bar while he went and got a contract.
15 minutes later, after leaving us at the bar and not offering us a glass of water, he returned with the contract. J let him know that he was no happy with the way things were going to which Alex replied "I'm not here to kiss anyone's ass. My reputation in this town speaks for itself."

Oh really... well since we are not in that town, we have no idea who you are. Well actually, we do now. Pompous a-hole Alex! I highly recommend NOT booking your wedding (or any event for that matter) with Maxwell Silverman's or Union Station. I have never been treated with such disrespect. We didn't expect him to bend over backwards for us, but be on time. Come prepared. Confirm the appointments.

I am completely upset by this because I loved the venue but glad that Alex showed his true colors right from the start. I have zero confidence that Alex would be able to handle my wedding, let alone anyone else's that "doesn't ask for him by name." (as he so politely put it)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do NOT book your wedding with Maxwell Silverman's / Union Station!

• edited December 2011
    My fiance and I wanted a unique venue for our wedding. At first we were thinking of the barn setting but quickly found out that most of those venues in the MA area were already booked up for next fall. After researching, I came up with Union Station in Worcester. Having grown up in the Worcester area, I knew what the station looked like, saw pictures online, and gave a call to get some more information.
    The first time I called, I spoke with the General Manager Alex. He was short and to the point (yes our date was available, $x was the rental fee, $x was the deposit) so I thought, FInally! We found our venue!
    I called back several times over the next few weeks to ask simple questions: Can I come meet with you to take a tour, sign a contract, etc? Can you please send me the menu options? I didn't think these phone calls were out of the ordinary or annoying... I need more information.
    Well finally last Wednesday, I called to schedule an appointment with Alex and his "assistant" Vicky told me that I needed to speak directly with Alex to schedule the appointment so she put him on the phone. We agreed that 2pm on Saturday would work for both of us and I hung up the phone.
    I was looking forward to getting out there on Saturday, showing J what the venue looked like and signing the contract. Everything else would fall into place but without the venue, I was stuck. So at 12:30pm on Saturday, we got into the car and headed west.
    We arrived 20 minutes early, no big deal, and started looking around. At 2pm, Alex was nowhere to be found. We gave him a call on his cell and he didn't answer plus his voicemail was full. Not going well so far. When he finally arrived 20 minutes late, he acted as if he had no idea that we were coming. He asked what he could help us with (Um, a wedding?! Hadn't we just spoken on the phone 3 days before?!) and told us to have a seat at the bar while he went and got a contract.
    15 minutes later, after leaving us at the bar and not offering us a glass of water, he returned with the contract. J let him know that he was no happy with the way things were going to which Alex replied "I'm not here to kiss anyone's ass. My reputation in this town speaks for itself."

Oh really... well since we are not in that town, we have no idea who you are. Well actually, we do now. Pompous a-hole Alex! I highly recommend NOT booking your wedding (or any event for that matter) with Maxwell Silverman's or Union Station. I have never been treated with such disrespect. We didn't expect him to bend over backwards for us, but be on time. Come prepared. Confirm the appointments.

I am completely upset by this because I loved the venue but glad that Alex showed his true colors right from the start. I have zero confidence that Alex would be able to handle my wedding, let alone anyone else's that "doesn't ask for him by name." (as he so politely put it)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    we met with Yvonne instead of Alex (who we were supposed to have been meeting with). Yvonne was lovely. We are not booking at Union Station for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the bathroom situation, but I just wanted to put in a good word for Yvonne at Union Station. It is not her fault that we're not booking there. Too bad Alex was such a turn off. We met him briefly that day and can totally feel where you're coming from regarding him. Good luck wherever you end up!
  • edited December 2011
    My MOH and another BM were scouting out locations for my shower and went to Maxwell Silverman's.  They didn't receive the warmest reception from the staff.  I think they spoke with Alex and he acted like an a-hole to them.

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who didn't have a very pleasant experience. I followed up a few days later and actually got the owner on the phone. He did little to apologize... later I found out that they are only "nice" and "accomodating" to Worcester Police and Worcester Politicians. Hmm... glad we had a bad experience up front and not the day of the wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards