Massachusetts-Boston

Where to shop for a dress?

I have NO idea what kind of dress I am looking for, I have some designs pinned and tagged in magazines but they all vary greatly. I do know styles that I am certain that I DON'T like, so I'm looking for a shop that will really understand what will flatter my body shape and work with someone who doesn't already have a dream dress in mind. 

I am thinking any shops in Boston would be way out of budget (under $1,500). I live in Leominster but will travel pretty much anywhere. I'd also like to visit a few shops in in one day (is that even possible?) Any help is appreciated!!

Re: Where to shop for a dress?

• If you don't mind driving to NH, try Madeleine's Daughter.  It is just south of Portsmouth.  (I got my dress there.) 
    The first place I went was Vows in Watertown.  That was good because I was able to try on so many different styles to narrow down what I liked/didn't like.
    Good Luck and have fun!
  • My sister got her dress at Abbys bridal in Andover.  I have also heard good things about modern bride in bedford Nh and Madeline daughter, as well as Marry and Tux in nashua Nh.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • I did a one-day trip that included La Reine in Waltham, Vows in Newton and Precious Memories in Malden - all had great options within my budget (under $1200). Marry & Tux in Nashua also had good options at reasonable prices. I ended up buying a gown off the rack at Bella Sera in Danvers but had decent experiences everywhere!
  • edited March 2012
    Chantilly Place in downtown Lowell is nice too, probably only about half hour from Leominster.  Modern Bride in Bedford has a great selection if you are willing to make the drive!
  • I went to Temptations in Gardner. That's near Leominster and its reasonably priced. Like 1500 and down.
  • I live in Leominster, and went to Pronuptia in Worcester.  They definitely carry dresses in your budget.  I arrived a few minutes early to my appt, and they let me browse the dress racks myself.  I actually pulled out my own wedding dress!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • I got my dress at La Sposa in Newton.  Its a small shop and I had a great experience there. 
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • I know that David's gets really mixed reviews, but I had a good experience at the David's bridal in Danvers.  It is by no means a salon or Kleinfeld's experience, but I found a dress I absolutely fell in love with that was under $1000 and totally gorgeous.  I really didn't expect to find anything, but went to get an idea of styles and was pleasantly surprised.

If nothing else, I can recommend it as a good place to get an idea of what you like and don't like, and what actually looks good on you etc.  
  • Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm actually from NH so heading to Bedford won't be an issue and I noticed the Vow in Natick the other day and was thinking of going there too but I thought I read no weekend appointments so that would have to be a first stop on  a day of appointments. How long is an appointment usually, an hour?
  • The places I shopped appointments were generally 90 minutes, but some places were 1 hour and others were 2.  90 seemed to be typical!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards