New York-Hudson Valley

Surf Club - New Rochelle

My fiance and I are looking to host our reception at the Surf Club the spring of 2012. I've been to several receptions at the SC pre-renovations and was not happy.  However, my fiance loves the view of the water and the structural changes.  Has anyone been to a wedding at the SC after 5/2009?  Is anyone considering hosting their reception there?? Any thoughts on staff, food, service, etc.  I am also considering the VIP Country Club which is on the same strip.  Any thoughts on VIP?  Need some opinions!!!

Re: Surf Club - New Rochelle

• edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are looking to host our reception at the Surf Club the spring of 2012. I've been to several receptions at the SC pre-renovations and was not happy.  However, my fiance loves the view of the water and the structural changes.  Has anyone been to a wedding at the SC after 5/2009?  Is anyone considering hosting their reception there?? Any thoughts on staff, food, service, etc.  I am also considering the VIP Country Club which is on the same strip.  Any thoughts on VIP?  Need some opinions!!!
  • kinobeanokinobeano member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the V.I.P. in September and couldn't be happier!  We attended a wedding at the Surf Club back inSeptember 2009 which was lovely just not our style.  I continue to be impressed with what the VIP has to offer and have only heard great things about them.  I've also seen them on TLC's "Four Weddings" two times already which to me is a good sign :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I havnt been to the surf club; I am getting married at the VIP country club in November and am sooo excited! Everything is just amazing there! Sorry, I'm not help with the surf club but good luck with your decision! If you have any other questions about VIP I'll be happy to help you with that!

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for your comments!! I am working with the banquet manager Michael at VIP and he is great.  Cost is definitely an issue as we are paying for the wedding ourselves.  What was your experience like working with him and/or anyone else at VIP?  Did you find they were willing to negotiate?  How is the food at VIP? 

For cocktail hour, I am a bit concerned about the room being downstairs and all the stairs that you have to take to get to the cocktail hour.  Also, I think that the ballroom is a bit oddly shaped with one side being longer than the other.  Everyone keeps telling me that I am focusing on the minor details that no one else wil notice. 

Any thoughts?  Also how big are your events? 
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding there a few months back and it was amazing. The food the layout the view. Everything was wonderful and elegant. I do not have one complaint about the wedding I attended there!!
  • edited December 2011
    We are working with Michael as well!! He's great! The only thing is, it seems like Tom knows a lot more. When we went to the seminar, Tom told us so many little added things that Mike didnt. But then again, Tom does all the wedding seminars at the VIP, so maybe its his job to tell us. But if we didnt go to the seminar, we wouldnt know. Its just basically letting you know all the different choices you could add (of course for a fee). But overall, we really like Mike. We were able to negotiate a little, but not much. It depends on if you are really set on having it on a Saturday night, for example. We negotiated more for a Friday night, but eventually went with saturday because of family traveling from lall directions. And, I see you want a spring wedding. Thats like prime season, especially if your thinking May.

You are right, the room is a lot longer on one side. I dont think I noticed that originally when we booked. We just noticed it when we were there for the tasting. I dont know why they set it up like that! But, it works out because his side is much smaller than mine. And I'm sure no one will notice once everyone is there dancing and mingling.

The food was amazing! We did the tasting rather early. (You aren't supposed to do a tasting until 6 weeks before your wedding),But my father insisted, because what happens if you dont like the food and now theres only 6 weeks until your wedding? Your screwed! I never understood why venues dont do tastings right away.
    Anyway, they let us go early, and it was great! They basically serve you the "favorites" of VIP ( or what is ordered the most by guests I guess).

If you have any more questions, Ill be happy to answer the best I can. Just message me =) and good luck with everything, whatever you decide it will be beautiful!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are working with both Michael and Tom...think Michael mainly handles the billing side of things.  Tom is great and very informative!  I wouldn't focus so much on those things.  What's a few stairs anyway?  For those that have a hard time walking there in an elevator that they can take.  I also love the fact that cocktail hour can be both indoors/outdoors by the fountain.  I'm very happy with our decision and cannot wait for our food tasting next month! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will be in the smaller room since our party is under 200 people. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married at The Surf Club on July 22nd.  Truthfully, I'm not sure whether or not I would recommend it.

I definitely feel like I am "just another wedding" to them and that I don't really matter.  I really don't like that aspect at all.  Of course, I didn't really get that feeling until after I signed the contract so I was already committed.  They haven't been horrible or rude just they don't seem to care about me individually if that makes any sense.

However, I absolutely love the view of the water and look of the whole place.  I find it very beautiful.  We knew we wanted to have our ceremony at the same place as our reception and because of this, the Surf Club was really the whole package in terms of the experience I hope to give our guests. It's a sunning location and hopefully the wedding day will go smoothly. I am very excited for our guests to see the place though, I love the view and that our cocktail hour will overlook the water out on the huge terrace.

I also saw The Surf Club on TLC's Four Weddings so I wouldn't let that part sway you too much over VIP

I'm sorry this probably didn't help you much.  I don't know when you need to choose your venue by but I can tell you how it goes after the wedding if you're still looking.
  • edited December 2011
    Also, feel free to private message me if you have any other questions.  I just went through the decision process in November and I remember how much I wished I could get more information from brides that chose the Surf Club.
  • s&tshows&tshow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi.. I'm debating about having my wedding at the surf club because of the view but I'm really scared because of some of the horrible reviews I've read.. Can u let me know how your wedding went
  • My fiance and I booked our wedding at the Surf Club for 6.1.13. We loved the structure, view and everything that comes with it. The reviews online that I've read have been mixed, but the more recent reviews seem to have been better. They were great working with us..so far so good Smile
  • Hey surf club brides, I booked for August 2013 and am wondering if anyone had advice on hotels nearby, transportation, and rehearsal dinner spots they used. Also did anyone do the uploghting they offer? They told me 1000 for uplighting which seems like a lot but could be worth it. Any other suggestions would be great! As you can see I need help with vendors all I have is photographer!!!
  • I'm having the hardest time finding a photographer that I like at a good price-who are you using?

My fiance & I have to go check out the hotels and secure some space for our wedding date too...we're trying to figure out if there's anywhere in the area that provides a shuttle service to & from the Surf Club..any luck?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_surf-club-new-rochelle-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:e9002a55-b106-41d3-b2a5-f9e18eb060a2Post:43993ac2-ff2b-422d-84e8-ec2b73a0390a">Re: Surf Club - New Rochelle</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey surf club brides, I booked for August 2013 and am wondering if anyone had advice on hotels nearby, transportation, and rehearsal dinner spots they used. Also did anyone do the uploghting they offer? They told me 1000 for uplighting which seems like a lot but could be worth it. Any other suggestions would be great! As you can see I need help with vendors all I have is photographer!!!
    Posted by 08NJBRIDE[/QUOTE]
  • I am getting married there in November 2013. Try the Radisson in new Rochelle. I have known a few people who used them for out of town guests. There is a hotel in New Roc City as well but I never heard anything about it. Regarding the lights, I am a bit upset that they charge for that. All they do is hit a button. Other vendors offered it free of charge. I picked a DJ package that had lights included instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards