Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Crane Estate

I have a July 2011 date held at the Crane Estate and need to make a final decision shortly.

Has anyone had a wedding or been to a wedding there in July/August? Are greenheads a problem? What about mosquitoes? Will everyone need to be wearing bugspray?

Thanks for your feedback!

Re: Crane Estate

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey!
    I didn't attend a wedding there.. but attended an outdoor party (it was more in the afternoon though) and there was no issue with bugs AT ALL!

You can always provide those little baskets (like you would put in a bathroom) and include bug spray just in case it became an issue and you could throw some citronella candles in with your decor to help ease the mosquito situation if you are worried about that!!

HTH!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    winterclassicwinterclassic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the photographer that we chose (Heather Parker photography) loaded a wedding on her website a few weeks ago that was from the Crane estate. It looked like such a great wedding but the greenheads and mosquitos are something I never would have thought of, but you bring up a good point. can you ask the venue coordinator how they handle it and what season the greenheads come in?
  • Options
    ebigelowebigelow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding there in mid/late June a couple years ago and the bugs were fine during the ceremoney and cocktail hr (approx 6-8pm), but they did start to become a problem during dinner under the tent (8-10ish).  The bride/groom provided bug spray in the bathrooms which did help a lot.  I think if you're done with dinner by 8ish and doing dancing inside the estate it wouldn't be a problem...but either way, some bug spray would do the trick!  i just had my wedding in June of this year at Turner Hill in Ipswich, and was really worried about the same thing so I bought a ton of bug spray for the  bathrooms...and then it ended up raining so we didn't even need it...so you never know!  if you love the venue, that's all that matters!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey!  That Heather Parker wedding was mine.  We LOVED it there, everyone we worked with was wonderful.  The bugs were not really a problem except for far out on the lawn after dinner.  There were no greenheads.  We provided bug wipes for guests, I didn't get bitten at all and I am usually eaten alive.

If you want any other info, feel free to PM me.
    GP February Siggy Challenge:
    Black History Month

TTC since Feb 2012
    Diagnosed with PCOS and anovulation
    2 round clomid 1 round femara--no response
    1st round injectables/IUI 1/31---BFP! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went there in early August a year or so ago and the green heads were terrible! The mosquitos also were biting and I left with a million bug bites. I suppose it depends on how wet the summer has been?
  • Options
    mlahey170mlahey170 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all the feedback and information!

Pesapenny, were you at the estate on Castle Hill, or on Steep Hill Beach?

I agree, this summer has been so dry, probably a good thing for the bug problem!
  • Options
    megbrooks2011megbrooks2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sorry if this advice has been posted before from other girls that have grown up in Ipswich (lived there for 25 years, parents still do)...but Avon Skin So Soft is actually the best remedy to keep greenheads away.  I'd provide it as a favor.

• Options
    jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    what the heck is a greenhead???
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • Options
    jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and there's another post down a few from leeluu with questions about transportation & hotel accommodations around Crane Estate.
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding there this July and the bugs were horrible.  We had bug spray and it worked for some people but others it didn't help at all.  It wasn't a problem at the ceremony or the cocktail hour though.  It was just when you went outside to get some fresh air while the dancing was going on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Shazzie116Shazzie116 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    jkep, they're nasty flies that bite and it HURTS.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards