New York-Hudson Valley

Re: REMOVED

• Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should start first with the venue...because that will determine the where and most importantly WHEN.  Once you have that, then I would start looking at other vendors. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    probablykateprobablykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement!

Yeah, I would probably start looking at venues around now.  I looked at venues in Sept 2010 for my Oct 2011 wedding, and I was shocked that some had very few (or no) options left for a Saturday wedding over a year out. 

Set your budget and put together a rough guest list first, because you don't want to book a place that only holds 150 and then when you put your guest list together there are 250 people that you feel you need to invite.

As far as how many venues you have to look at, it's really up to you.  I did most of my narrowing down just by looking at the venues online, and then I visited 5 of them (all in one weekend since I am planning from out of town... which was exhausting and I do not recommend).  I felt comfortable making my decision after seeing 5, but some ladies look at a lot more.   

As soon as you are sure about your venue I would book your other major vendors as well, because they also get booked up (although in my experience not quite as quickly as the venues). 

Just make sure you are comfortable with the size, feel, and budget of your wedding before putting down a lot of deposits. Some of the girls on my month board booked their wedding stuff over a year in advance, and now are reconsidering their original plans for a variety of reasons.  It's tough losing all that deposit money. 

So maybe before you do anything, have a really good sit down with your FI and make sure you are clear on what you both want for a wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_need-vendors-start-looking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:eb54f3b0-5251-4690-bb40-6f022c62daafPost:b3e17fcc-a56d-443e-97cf-289a3db09c9b">Re: Need Help with Vendors and when do i start looking?!?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats on your engagement! Yeah, I would probably start looking at venues around now.  I looked at venues in Sept 2010 for my Oct 2011 wedding, and I was shocked that some had very few (or no) options left for a Saturday wedding over a year out.  <strong>Set your budget and put together a rough guest list first, because you don't want to book a place that only holds 150 and then when you put your guest list together there are 250 people that you feel you need to invite. </strong>As far as how many venues you have to look at, it's really up to you.  I did most of my narrowing down just by looking at the venues online, and then I visited 5 of them (all in one weekend since I am planning from out of town... which was exhausting and I do not recommend).  I felt comfortable making my decision after seeing 5, but some ladies look at a lot more.    As soon as you are sure about your venue I would book your other major vendors as well, because they also get booked up (although in my experience not quite as quickly as the venues).  Just make sure you are comfortable with the size, feel, and budget of your wedding before putting down a lot of deposits. Some of the girls on my month board booked their wedding stuff over a year in advance, and now are reconsidering their original plans for a variety of reasons.  It's tough losing all that deposit money.  So maybe before you do anything, have a really good sit down with your FI and make sure you are clear on what you both want for a wedding.
    Posted by probablykate[/QUOTE]

The bolded is super important. Know what you want to spend and have an estimate of who you're inviting before looking at venues.

We only looked at 2 venues - fell in love with the second one and booked it on the spot.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto both pps!

Congrats on your engagement!

Are you set on wanting Westchester, or any area as long as it has a waterview?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement! I got engaged this past August and we have already booked our venue for July 2012..so there is definitely no harm in starting the process. I am from Westchester (and getting married in NY)but currently living in Boston, so it was really important for us to get the big stuff out of the way lol.

I contacted about 8 different venues who then sent me some general information (costs, max. occupancy, etc). We narrowed it down to 5 venues which were the one's we visited. Trust me, you'll know when you find the right one! ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I say first do a guest list
    second would be to look at venues.
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hi again! And again, congrats and welcome!

Weddings can be overwhelming!

First things you have to decide:

the total budget (and who is contributing)

the number of people you expect* to have

how much are you willing to pay per person at the venue

also where do you plan on having the ceremony - church, at the venue, at a park? 

and finally, what type of venue do you (and FI) envision?

* The number you expect to have is different from the number you invite and the number the place holds. It's also different from your venue's minimum.

Reason - you could invite 200, you need to find a place that will fit (even at max capacity) that number. But if you are expecting 150, A minimum of 120 is fine because you will hit that.

But what if you aren't sure and you think that because the knot says "usually 20%" decline, you feel that since the knot expects you to have 160. that you sign on a place that has 150 as a minimum? If only 120 show up, you pay for 30 people who aren't there. That is $3000 or more!

So, basically find a place that can hold the number you are inviting, but also a place that has a minimum that you know without a doubt that you will hit.  That's why it's a good idea to have an idea on how many you expect. So you can rule out the places that look great on paper, but may not work.

Check out:

http://www.weddingsitesandservices.com/New_York/ReceptionSites/Bronx_Westchester_Rockland.html

http://www.theknot.com/Vendors/Hudson-Valley-Wedding-Venues/Profiles/CAR/074

http://www.hudsonvalleyweddings.com/goods/recept.htm

To look at venues and links to their websites. Gather as much info as you can!  Then you can narrow down the list of spots you want to see in person.

Have fun in your search!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Everyone here is right -- budget, guest list, venue first. Hudson Valley wineries are wonderful -- I would start looking there.

We worked with a fabulous photographer who actually helped guide us in planning our wedding in Manhattan. She is really talented and actually lives in Westchester, so maybe she will have ideas for you about locations and vendors:

http://www.beimaged.com (Melissa Lynn)

Good Luck!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    congrats... i only know the ones on Davenport and the last one....not remember the name ... is a really, really nice place. and great customer service.

if you are looking for hair and make up.... try Martha (M&M) I believe she is located in Mamaroneck.... she is amazing and I will definitely hire her.

Photographers.... try fabuluxephotos.com - melanielust.com or didig.net

Dresses... there is a really nice shop on Mamaroneck Avenue... by the water.

congrats and good luck...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards