New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Kids at the wedding?

My fiance and I decided we did not want children or anyone under 21 at the wedding.  However, I have 3 neices - ages, 5, 7, 11.  I would like them at the church and to be part of the actual wedding,  but I was not sure if I should have them at the reception.  I dont know what to do! 

The oldest is 11 and could technically be a jr. bridesmaid but I dont want the other girls to get upset.  Plus, I dont want my sister to have to watch them the whole time at the reception.  Also, if I invite them do I have to invite everyone elses kids??

Re: Kids at the wedding?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the no kids at the wedding. If they live near by where you are getting married I am sure they will understand if you tell them you want the reception to be just adults. They might actually be relieved. Either way they will understand because it is your day.

I am doing a no children under 16 party but I am inviting my one cousin who is 13. All my other cousins children are under 6 so there is an easy gap for me there. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have no one under 21 on our guest list.  We do have a ring bearer who is 2 1/2 and a flower girl who is 3.  They will be at the ceremony, the cocktail hour and make the entrance into the reception. Then they are being whisked away to the hotel by one of their grandmothers (she's my cousin's MIL so she wouldn't have been invited to the wedding). 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could technically make your 5 and 7 year old flower girls and the 11 year old  a junior bridesmaid. Since they have  a "job" at your wedding, I think you can still have a no kid wedding and no one should be upset.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had 1 child at our wedding and the only reason we invited her was because her brother and sister were invited (they were in their late teens).  I let the younger girl hand out the tubes of bubbles and she was so excited!  It made my day.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a no under 21 rule at our wedding except for my stepson (who was turning 10) and my two nephews (5 and 2 1/2) who were ring bearers.  I also had two flower girls 8 and 6...I left it up to their parents and the girls ended up staying to dance a bit and then the parents sent them home...my nephews stayed the whole time but they also have a nanny.  In the end, though, those were the only kids and they all had a blast and were nothing but perfect.  This was also special circumstances I think and certainly my sis in law and brother said that if they boys acted up they were going right back to the hotel.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards