Massachusetts-Boston
Options

"photography sales tax"

Hi Everyone, I am just wondering if other brides are paying sales tax, I have a friend that has been interviewing differnt photographers and some charge and some dont... and is it even legal to charge?! Please Help. thank you!

Re: "photography sales tax"

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Depends on whether they are getting pictures or not-the actual service isn't taxable, but the pics are.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we didn't pay sales tax to / for our photographer last year

EDIT: our services also included albums, CDs and photo rights but not actual photos per say
  • Options
    abilifymeabilifyme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We paid sales tax on the DVD (of all the images) that we purchased, but that was all.  GL!
    "If I were your wedding, I'd be sleeping with one eye open... " - Bride Wars
  • Options
    noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I think the PP is correct.  The service is not taxable, but actual "goods" are if you buy them in MA.  Our photog is in NH and she said if she ships stuff to us, she has to charge tax but if we pick it up in NH we do not. But she would only charge it on the album/photo cost, not the entire fee for her services.

You defnitely shouldn't pay tax on the entire package.
  • Options
    MaquinnaMaquinna member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a photographer, I can tell you that sales tax applies to just about everything in wedding photography in MA. Bear in mind it's not the photographer who charges sales tax - the state does. We just collect it and have to send it to the state. I contacted the state department of revenue to clarify which situations were taxable, and pretty much everything was. If you're in doubt, contact the department of revenue. If your photographer isn't collecting sales tax, chances are they aren't running a legal business. Ask to see their license.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards